Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst I applaud NZ for locking the door early and really getting on top of the virus.

I'm confused by their current approach. They have a higher vaccination rate than the UK. Arden just cancelled her wedding for what to 99% of people will be a cold. When will it end? NZ Residents in other countries apart from Australia still aren't allowed to enter!

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Yesterday I tested negative on the way of testing myself free today.
Today I am positive again. New test tomorrow for release after a Saturday test.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I believe that used to be called "a cold" in the good old days.

I agree and some paracetamol and plenty of fluids will no doubt do the trick. The point is with the symptoms being akin to some Covid symptoms many people will go straight to a LFT and start to worry. You have to admire the diligence of the NZ population having to endure such tough lockdown measures which they seem to have done as one. If you take out all of the politics, even during our very first lockdown there were people meeting up in large groups n parks etc.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst I applaud NZ for locking the door early and really getting on top of the virus.

I'm confused by their current approach. They have a higher vaccination rate than the UK. Arden just cancelled her wedding for what to 99% of people will be a cold. When will it end? NZ Residents in other countries apart from Australia still aren't allowed to enter!

It’s called virtue signalling, and she is a master at it.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree and some paracetamol and plenty of fluids will no doubt do the trick. The point is with the symptoms being akin to some Covid symptoms many people will go straight to a LFT and start to worry. You have to admire the diligence of the NZ population having to endure such tough lockdown measures which they seem to have done as one. If you take out all of the politics, even during our very first lockdown there were people meeting up in large groups n parks etc.

They (like the rest of the world) have had loads of protests. It’s just hushed up by the MSM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_anti-lockdown_protests_in_New_Zealand

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I might feel a little better this morning but I just feel differently unwell to yesterday. As some symptoms have faded away, others have developed.

Overall it’s been similar to flu for me. Initially a fever with very aching joints, painful knees and elbows in particular with whole-body aches and shakes. After 36 hours or so the fever waned into a constant headache, lethargy and some mental confusion (is this the brain fog people talk about?).

I’ve had pneumonia in the distant past and this is nothing compared to that but I still wouldn’t dismiss this as just a cold.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Should be no reason for confusion. They take decisive action based on the precautionary principle. They don't know the longer term effects of Omicron, although you think you do.

As a result of their willingness to act, they have a per capita death rate 99.5% lower than the UK. And their economy is recovering faster too!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There were thoughts at one time that “ herd immunity” was the way forward. Omicron was suggested it could be the answer to that route. Being highly infectious and not so deadly. However I read a piece that 2/3rds of people that had Omicron had caught COVID before. So if the current 7 day trend is 90k a day. there is only 30k a day new infections for the first time. If that is the case, herd Immunity is a long way off.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This opinion piece by a Kiwi gives a rather different view on what some think is a Kiwi nirvana……

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...-Jacinda-Arderns-crazy-Covid-zero-policy.html

I know some narrow minded people will dismiss it because it’s the Mail but try to read it all. The place sounds like a terrible place right now.

Its exactly that, an opinion piece with few facts. But its the facts, what few there are, that are worth a look. For example, it states there’s only 200 ICU beds. The NZ Medical Journal comes up with a different number. Including isolation rooms within ICU, and the number of critical care ventilators available, the number of beds exceeds 500. Now that’s a big discrepancy…

And the fact that the piece doesn’t get the number of beds anything like right brings into question the credibility of the opinion. My guess is the (what is just) an opinion piece suits your narrative. At least research the bits in it that are expressed as facts, or maybe you’re being narrow minded.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

RichA

Visit site