Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With the lifting of all coronavirus containment measures on the immediate horizon we have no real idea how we are going to manage my brother-in-laws possibly very high vulnerability to infection given his blood cancer (multiple myeloma) and pretty shot immune system.

It’s all very well saying we have to live with the virus, which in time of course we will have to do, but there do still seem to be quite a number of questions not yet resolved about the virus and variants, and the risk they present to the vulnerable. Unfortunately my BiLs condition is one of periodic and potentially quite serious relapse/recurrence so it is most likely not going to be the case of him recovering to a point he can just get on with living ‘as normal’…but we just don’t know…

OK it seems that the current main (Omicron) variant does not seem to present a great risk to the general vaccinated public, but for my BiL it feels he is probably going to have to be very careful about going out of the house and mixing with others, if he does mix at all, and we will have to be very aware of our own exposure to the virus as we do our best to provide him with the support he will therefore require. Because given the pressures, he isn‘t going to get that much from the state unless the state recognises the specific needs of the most vulnerable in a ‘we need to learn to live with it’ environment.

Hopefully in the coming weeks we will learn more about how much his immune system will recover over the coming months, and how much risk the coronavirus is likely to present to him on an ongoing ‘for ever’ basis.

Meanwhile my wife and I have to work out how we support him (and as she is in the same house - my 91yr old mil) at the same time protect him from infection, and clearly that includes infection that we might pick up. Noting the subject of this discussion, this uncertainty is all rather worrying for us.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
OK, good. Again, there could be a vax effect, if your immunity completely quashed any virus that got into you, or you just may have dodged the lurgy.

Having been terrified by this virus in 2020, as I have a mild underlying condition, I now feel blessed to have had it twice, especially with the recent bout. I’m guessing two infections and three jabs will have given me some fairly good immunity moving forward.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the lifting of all coronavirus containment measures on the immediate horizon we have no real idea how we are going to manage my brother-in-laws possibly very high vulnerability to infection given his blood cancer (multiple myeloma) and pretty shot immune system.

It’s all very well saying we have to live with the virus, which in time of course we will have to do, but there do still seem to be quite a number of questions not yet resolved about the virus and variants, and the risk they present to the vulnerable. Unfortunately by BiLs condition is one of periodic and potentially quite serious relapse/recurrence so it is most likely not going to be the cases of him recovering to a point he can just get on with living ‘as normal’…but we just don’t know…

OK it seems that the current main (Omicron) variant does not seem to present a great risk to the general vaccinated public, but for my BiL it feels he is probably going to have to be very careful about going out of the house and mixing with others, if he does mix at all, and we will have to be very aware of our own exposure to the virus as we do our best to provide him with the support he will therefore require. Because given the pressures, he isn‘t going to get that much from the state unless the state recognises the specific needs of the most vulnerable in a ‘we need to learn to live with it’ environment.

Hopefully in the coming weeks we will learn more about how much his immune system will recover over the coming months, and how much risk the coronavirus is likely to present to him on an ongoing ‘for ever’ basis.

Meanwhile my wife and I have to work out how we support him (and as she is in the same house - my 91yr old mil) at the same time protect him from infection, and clearly that includes infection that we might pick up. Noting the subject of this discussion, this uncertainty is all rather worrying for us.

Given your situation I would continue to exercise caution. So what I feel is necessary today will continue to be what I feel is necessary tomorrow, or next Thursday and so on.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It’s all very well saying we have to live with the virus, which in time of course we will have to do, but there do still seem to be quite a number of questions not yet resolved about the virus and variants, and the risk they present to the vulnerable. Unfortunately by BiLs condition is one of periodic and potentially quite serious relapse/recurrence so it is most likely not going to be the cases of him recovering to a point he can just get on with living ‘as normal’…but we just don’t know…

Whilst I understand, and sympathise with your situation, is living with the covid risk going to be any different than living with the risk from flu, colds, or any of the other multitude of viruses that your BiL could catch?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Whilst I understand, and sympathise with your situation, is living with the covid risk going to be any different than living with the risk from flu, colds, or any of the other multitude of viruses that your BiL could catch?
I think with covid still being so prevalent and Add to that so many are asymptomatic potentially spreading . it's a fair worry. My son had scratchy throat while my daughter was completely symptomless.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, Covid isn't a Cold or Flu, it's a more dangerous virus that has the capacity to create long term illness and organ damage. The prospect of people just living with it in its current form is reckless and frightening to me

Billysboots

Visit site

You took the words straight out of my mouth.

I echo your comments and also have sympathy with SILH’s situation, but have to ask whether he expects “the state” to assist him in keeping his BiL safe from flu. I had no idea until I read it the other day, that flu kills 200-300 every day in this country during a bad winter. The only protection offered by “the state” is the jab, plus an expectation that we take some responsibility for our own welfare. I fail to see why Covid should be any different.

And as regards further variants, we can’t second guess what is going to happen in the weeks and months to come. If we are indeed heading towards endemic rather than pandemic, at least in the U.K., so we have to rely on vaccines and our own common sense to keep us safe, just as we do with other diseases.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You took the words straight out of my mouth.

I echo your comments and also have sympathy with SILH’s situation, but have to ask whether he expects “the state” to assist him in keeping his BiL safe from flu. I had no idea until I read it the other day, that flu kills 200-300 every day in this country during a bad winter. The only protection offered by “the state” is the jab, plus an expectation that we take some responsibility for our own welfare. I fail to see why Covid should be any different.

And as regards further variants, we can’t second guess what is going to happen in the weeks and months to come. If we are indeed heading towards endemic rather than pandemic, at least in the U.K., so we have to rely on vaccines and our own common sense to keep us safe, just as we do with other diseases.
Rely on people's common sense, Really!

D

Deleted member 15344

When do people want the country to go back to normal then ? The virus is not going to go but it’s clear that the potency of the virus has reduced dramatically

In previous years people who have serious illness took personal responsibility to take care to ensure they wont be exposed to common colds , the winter flu etc

People are going to pass away from the virus just like they have done from the flu - there will be a vaccine each year for us all

It’s coming up to two years Now and we need to move forward and this seems to be the time for the restrictions to ease down until they end in March - and then it’s down to personal choice , if you want to continue to wear a mask then do so , if you want to self isolate then do so

The lockdown and restrictions have ended more life’s than just from the virus - and we need to stop letting it dominate our daily life now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That is exactly the sort of question that we do not know the answer to, either from his specific immunity to a coronavirus and reaction to whatever variant might be present, or indeed what risk the virus and variants might pose to us all, never mind the more vulnerable, both immediately and in the ‘long covid‘ sense.

We have a very significant body of knowledge built up around such as flu and cold virus’ and multiple variants, with sophisticated anti-virus vaccines, that inform how the most vulnerable manage their life. Simply by dint of the newness of the coronavirus we just do not have such experience and understanding. And so on that basis I do not know how we can just treat the coronavirus like ‘any old’ virus.

And I repeat - I am making no comment on the right or wrong of completely relaxing all containment measures, nor am I making any wider implications, and of course I recognise a wider societal and economic need for ’getting back to a normality’. My only concern in that respect is … why ALL measures when there seems to remain much to learn about this virus and it’s variants.

As per the topic subject…this is how a complete removal of all constraints as Timetabled yesterday will impact my family.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
Rely on people's common sense, Really!

But what else do you suggest? Those who wanted three jabs have largely had them. We’ve had a huge number of Omicron cases and, whilst the NHS has been under enormous pressure, as it is every winter, it hasn’t been overwhelmed.

So we now appear to have a straight choice. We either rely on vaccines and people taking some personal responsibility, or we continue to have restrictions placed upon us, which even our own decision makers appear to believe can no longer be justified.

So, yes. It would seem the time is rapidly approaching when we all need to take some responsibility for our own decisions/actions, and the consequences they bring about. I fail to see what alternative there is given the way this seems to be heading.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When do people want the country to go back to normal then ? The virus is not going to go but it’s clear that the potency of the virus has reduced dramatically

In previous years people who have serious illness took personal responsibility to take care to ensure they wont be exposed to common colds , the winter flu etc

People are going to pass away from the virus just like they have done from the flu - there will be a vaccine each year for us all

It’s coming up to two years Now and we need to move forward and this seems to be the time for the restrictions to ease down until they end in March - and then it’s down to personal choice , if you want to continue to wear a mask then do so , if you want to self isolate then do so

The lockdown and restrictions have ended more life’s than just from the virus - and we need to stop letting it dominate our daily life now.
That's a 'Sod you mate, I'm in the lifeboat' kind of attitude.

You're probably not in a situation where some of your loved ones could lose their lives if they caught it. Why is it that England is almost on it's own considering this 'Just get on with it' attitude in the World. It's just the wrong time at the moment.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

You're probably not in a situation where some of your loved ones could loose their lives if they caught it. Why is it that England is almost on it's own considering this 'Just get on with it' attitude in the World. It's just the wrong time at the moment.

Totally agree. Both in-laws have serious underlying conditions and have kept going out to a minimum where possible. What happens when the next variant comes along and isn't as "potent" even though we are still seeing hospital admissions and daily deaths. Some peopel simply don't have too much of a choice and a return to the "sod everyone" comes with serious risks. Surely wearing a mask, keeping space etc isn't exactly dominating normal life

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But what else do you suggest? Those who wanted three jabs have largely had them. We’ve had a huge number of Omicron cases and, whilst the NHS has been under enormous pressure, as it is every winter, it hasn’t been overwhelmed.

So we now appear to have a straight choice. We either rely on vaccines and people taking some personal responsibility, or we continue to have restrictions placed upon us, which even our own decision makers appear to believe can no longer be justified.

So, yes. It would seem the time is rapidly approaching when we all need to take some responsibility for our own decisions/actions, and the consequences they bring about. I fail to see what alternative there is given the way this seems to be heading.
The NHS hasn't been under this type of pressure every winter, the staff are exhausted with it and can't be expected to continue that way. It's just not the right time yet to drop the gloves.

The times you talk of are ahead but not now. The current mask precautions are not asking much of people.

D

Deleted member 15344

You're probably not in a situation where some of your loved ones could loose their lives if they caught it. Why is it that England is almost on it's own considering this 'Just get on with it' attitude in the World. It's just the wrong time at the moment.

Not it’s not at all - I’m just happy that i will have the common sense and ability to judge each situation on it’s own merit

And you have no Idea what my situation is regards loved ones.

And it’s not just England - Scotland I believe will be removing restrictions before us

The world needs to move on - it’s two years now , many others are suffering outside of Covid that need to be addressed

You can carry on with your own restrictions if you wish , no one will be telling you that you’re not allowed to wear a mask or keep space from people

There are millions in the country that need things to return to normalcy both financially and mentally

Billysboots

Visit site
A question for those who think that anyone who condones a return to normality is being selfish - at what point will you accept that Covid must become part of our lives?

It’s a serious question, and I’m genuinely interested to hear the replies. There has to be an end to mandated restrictions. I have nothing against those who want to continue to wear face coverings and social distance, but we can’t mandate restrictions indefinitely.

Do you have a figure in mind with regard to daily deaths, infections or hospital admissions? Because we can’t live our lives for ever more using the rather woolly rationale of “just in case”. People will continue to fall ill, with Covid, flu, pneumonia and other diseases. They will continue to die.

But we can’t continue to play sport in empty stadia, restrict foreign travel, make people feel guilty for attending social functions and so on, without some clear and defined scenario when that will end.

All I am really reading here in support of ongoing restrictions and caution is “what if” or “until more is known”. In other words, indefinitely. That’s not really a goer, is it?