Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what's the end game?

I'm young, triple jabbed. Had covid 2x. Is this going to happen every year?

It’s new, we’re starting from zero immunity, it will take time. Each year better than the next, but it could be many years before the impact is barely felt in winter.

That’s my theory, I’m no scientist though.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, not sure where you got that from, it’s clear that case numbers are high.

“This suggests that the the rise in cases is largely driven by the huge amount of testing we are doing. Far more than anywhere else in Europe. Positivity rate hasn’t changed at all over the last month or so.”

“This gives you an idea of our present testing, we’re up to around 19 tests per 1,000 people which is roughly 1.3m tests per day. That’s where the sudden increase in cases is coming from”

^^There^^

Is your point cases are rising, but big spikes are because of extra testing?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
“This gives you an idea of our present testing, we’re up to around 19 tests per 1,000 people which is roughly 1.3m tests per day. That’s where the sudden increase in cases is coming from”

^^There^^

Is your point cases are rising, but big spikes are because of extra testing?

My point was we don’t actually know how fast cases are really rising but a large part of it is the huge increase in testing. Like I said, I’m not trying to suggest that there isn’t a large amount of infection out there but you have to recognise the level of testing we are running at the moment.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we will never be out of any lockdown if it’s just about cases then ?

The level of testing has significantly increased so the case numbers will be higher but levels in hospitals and deaths are lower than this time last year when we went into lockdown

They have pushed the vaccine which they state reduces the affect of the virus but doesn’t stop transmission - why should people bother with the vaccine then when they tell us it’s the key to less restrictions

Isn’t the obvious answer that the vaccine helps, we would be in total lockdown now without it, but it’s going to take time to build up immunity as a species to something totally new.
?

Continuous improvement

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My point was we don’t actually know how fast cases are really rising but a large part of it is the huge increase in testing. Like I said, I’m not trying to suggest that there isn’t a large amount of infection out there but you have to recognise the level of testing we are running at the moment.
Do we know if the proportion of +ve PCRs is rising or is it staying around X%?

D

Deleted member 15344

In which case, shouldn’t all the resulting negative tests mean the proportion of positive tests goes down?

No idea how many people actually register a negative test but I believe there were 1.5 mil tests carried out today and the percentage of +I’ve test results has stayed the same over the last 4 weeks

D

Deleted member 25172

As I’m into my third day in bed with covid and just bored I thought I’d take a quick look at some numbers. Not claiming anything, but just showing the numbers from the official daily corona update.

Avg weekly Positive tests / amount of weekly tests since start of October.

492791A5-0771-47C7-9A14-80F7182B1A22.jpeg

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
But the cases are still there whether they've been confirmed by PCR or not - to be honest there's probably as many again that either don't get tested or show no signs and don't get tested.
How they got to the number of positive cases is irrelevant.
The facts are that we've had 170k new cases in the past 48 hours and you can probably add another 100k to that number today.
These are all people who will have to isolate.
That's going to grind some parts of the NHS and emergency services to a standstill.
There simply won't be enough people to do the work to keep things going.
So when you have your stroke, heart attack etc etc there may not be an ICU bed for you, there may not be anything as the hospital has had to close because it has no staff..
The jabs are helping massively but its not foolproof....a small percentage of these people are going to end up in hospital and some will die.
A small percentage of a huge number is often more than a larger percentage of a smaller number.
If this thing isn't controlled to a degree then, I'm afraid, we are in for a :poop:storm.

If the case postivity rate rises, it suggests that cases numbers are rising faster than tested numbers, if the case positivity rate falls, the opposite.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If one of the main aims is to protect the NHS, surely those seeing the numbers are seeing the start of an increase in admissions. If there’s barely been a ripple, what’s all the fuss about? Equally, if admissions are rising, why all the arguing?

Focussing on number of cases only, if that is the case, is just ignorant.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
we won't escape it no matter what we do. We opened up in the summer which, i think, was correct. All countries are getting this and have to cope - but they are doing so vaccinated, with far lower fatalities. I agree with Ian that the key worry is the number of people isolationg and what that means for managinmg everything. i actually went in a Spoons today - sish i hadn't as it was shiiiite!

We do not have a credible plan to manage the economy as this disease hopefully becomes endemic so the isolation rules will, at some point, have to be looked at because we cannot keep closing down the economy for something that is serious for only a very small percentage of people when we have been vacinated/ boosted etc. If we look at Soiuth Africa, the wave there looks to be easing/ peaking etc and it did not cause the massive amount of deaths that were predicted in a 30% vaccinated population. We are way ahead on vaccines so hopefully the 3000 deaths per day as the "best case" from Doctor Doom Ferguson will be massively exaggerated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-Neil-Ferguson-7-000-Omicron-deaths-DAY.html

The credible plan to manage the economy was to get control of the virus hard and fast. But prevarication and dithering, assisted by our local MP, put the knife in that, and the problem has been reported several times since. More half-arsed attempts will only further prolong the problem.

Ferguson changes his forecasts as data changes the underlying assumptions, as he should. I attached his full report yesterday. Read that rather than the Daily Heil. His assumption on the case fatality rate with omicron is probably exaggerated, but the hospitalisation rate may be less exaggerated.

We are not South Africa, for a whole host of reasons explained by others, and it would be extremely dangerous to make assumptions based on their early observations of omicron.

And if you are afraid of catching something, should avoid Spoons. Lots of pathogens there, some on the menu.