Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just watching the PDC World Darts Championship, a seething mass of drink fuelled spectators chanting and singing in close proximity. I'm sure it's an enjoyable day if you are so minded, but I can't imagine events such as this are helpful in the current climate.

It was great And I can confirm that there was a similar disregard for any of the social distancing in the Rainbow Sports bar later. ?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i can see a lot of people ignoring these suggested restrictions if they ever come in. People have had enough - we are all (apart from the covidiots) double jabbed and mostly tripple jabbed. Bojo will have a majpor revolt trying to pass this and may not get the support needed

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why has testing increased if not because more people have symptoms?

Because a lot of people are doing what has been asked and are testing before social events, seeing family etc. Think how many office things there have been over the last week or so, my wife went to one and everyone was asked to test, that was 150 people who may not have tested normally and none had symptoms.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This gives you an idea of our present testing, we’re up to around 19 tests per 1,000 people which is roughly 1.3m tests per day. That’s where the sudden increase in cases is coming from.

View attachment 40019

That hypothesis could be plausible if the test positivity rate has dropped in the same proportion as test numbers have increased. Is that the case?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This gives you an idea of our present testing, we’re up to around 19 tests per 1,000 people which is roughly 1.3m tests per day. That’s where the sudden increase in cases is coming from.

View attachment 40019
But the cases are still there whether they've been confirmed by PCR or not - to be honest there's probably as many again that either don't get tested or show no signs and don't get tested.
How they got to the number of positive cases is irrelevant.
The facts are that we've had 170k new cases in the past 48 hours and you can probably add another 100k to that number today.
These are all people who will have to isolate.
That's going to grind some parts of the NHS and emergency services to a standstill.
There simply won't be enough people to do the work to keep things going.
So when you have your stroke, heart attack etc etc there may not be an ICU bed for you, there may not be anything as the hospital has had to close because it has no staff..
The jabs are helping massively but its not foolproof....a small percentage of these people are going to end up in hospital and some will die.
A small percentage of a huge number is often more than a larger percentage of a smaller number.
If this thing isn't controlled to a degree then, I'm afraid, we are in for a :poop:storm.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why has testing increased if not because more people have symptoms?

Because tests are required more - for example to attend a sporting venue or concert etc

Myself and my wife now test every 2 days when previously we didn’t and suspect many more are doing so

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
i can see a lot of people ignoring these suggested restrictions if they ever come in. People have had enough - we are all (apart from the covidiots) double jabbed and mostly tripple jabbed. Bojo will have a majpor revolt trying to pass this and may not get the support needed

Paul - do you think we might be in a better position now if they had not had relaxed so much on the f-ing stupid Freedom Day and/or had reinstated controls a bit sooner?

I think we would.

So why are we repeating that mistake again. We see a runaway train coming down the tracks and decide we'll do something in a week's time? That is the height or recklessness and the price will be more people in hospital or in the ground. All so Tim Spoons can sell some more of his end of barrel beers?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 40019
That's not where the cases are coming from, they're coming from the spread of Covid. Testing only reveals some of the cases.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paul - do you think we might be in a better position now if they had not had relaxed so much on the f-ing stupid Freedom Day and/or had reinstated controls a bit sooner?

I think we would.

So why are we repeating that mistake again. We see a runaway train coming down the tracks and decide we'll do something in a week's time? That is the height or recklessness and the price will be more people in hospital or in the ground. All so Tim Spoons can sell some more of his end of barrel beers?

we won't escape it no matter what we do. We opened up in the summer which, i think, was correct. All countries are getting this and have to cope - but they are doing so vaccinated, with far lower fatalities. I agree with Ian that the key worry is the number of people isolationg and what that means for managinmg everything. i actually went in a Spoons today - sish i hadn't as it was shiiiite!

We do not have a credible plan to manage the economy as this disease hopefully becomes endemic so the isolation rules will, at some point, have to be looked at because we cannot keep closing down the economy for something that is serious for only a very small percentage of people when we have been vacinated/ boosted etc. If we look at Soiuth Africa, the wave there looks to be easing/ peaking etc and it did not cause the massive amount of deaths that were predicted in a 30% vaccinated population. We are way ahead on vaccines so hopefully the 3000 deaths per day as the "best case" from Doctor Doom Ferguson will be massively exaggerated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-Neil-Ferguson-7-000-Omicron-deaths-DAY.html

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So pretty much just screws the hospitality trade once again

Why tell everyone to get double jabbed and boosted only to them ramp up the restrictions based on a “model”

Because not everybody is getting double jabbed and boosted, if they were, I'm sure things would be different.
I think this is our major issue.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's not where the cases are coming from, they're coming from the spread of Covid. Testing only reveals some of the cases.

So the absolutely huge increase in testing is not influencing this massive rise in cases? I’m not saying that they catch all the cases however if our testing was at a level of 2 months ago for example we would have a fraction of the cases. Obviously they are still out there as their level is their level regardless of testing however the suggestion that it is spiralling out of control isn’t totally correct, it’s being driven by the fact we’re testing so much so we are finding them.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m sure I’m not alone in having a rising sense of anger at how this is all playing out, and the fact that opinion amongst so-called experts is so divided that us mere mortals have no hope whatsoever of knowing whether we’re staring into an abyss or if this is all being blown ridiculously out of proportion.

I’m quite sure Neil Ferguson’s views are now treated with suspicion by many, but even he seems to be getting confused if recent reports of his comments are accurate. Days ago he was, allegedly, saying that if we didn’t act fast we could be looking at 5000 deaths each day. Now today, he says vaccines or previous infection are likely to mean most infected with Omicron won’t have anything more than a mild illness. I absolutely accept this is media reporting and that his actual words need to be viewed in context, but those two statements are at opposite ends of the spectrum so how are the rest of us supposed to know what to believe?

And I wholeheartedly agree that the decision to impose future lockdowns cannot be guided by infections alone. Omicron infections have apparently tripled in the last 24 hours, whilst deaths WITH it (note, not necessarily because of it - that old chestnut) stand at seven. Just seven. Even allowing for a lag between infection and hospitalisation and death, something doesn’t stack up.

Virtually every report I am still seeing coming out of South Africa still suggests we have totally lost the plot. Yet the Welsh are so concerned that they are re-imposing stricter controls, including the closure of nightclubs. Yes, so concerned are the Welsh that they decided on 15 December to impose these measures. But not until 27 December. Excuse me? You’re either viewing this as a catastrophic situation or you’re not. What message does that decision send to anyone? It’s so wishy washy it’s laughable.

I will say for clarity, and before certain forumers leap down my throat and impose their expertise on me that I am but a mere pleb. I do not claim any true level of understanding about viruses, how they mutate, how they evolve and how they are ultimately brought under control. But I can read. And what I read is so vastly conflicting that I am beginning to lose patience with those who seek to impose their views on us, politicians and medics alike. And if I’m like that, you can bet your last pound so are others.

Just at a time when we are really needed to be on side with what others are striving to achieve during this mess, too many, myself included, are tiring of the conflict amongst those who profess to have the answers.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Maybe the 170,000 new cases in the last 2 days may have a bearing on their decision.

Interestingly, just watching News. In those figures you quote, there were 90,000 new cases today.
Then they report that IN TOTAL there have been 25000 cases of Omicron.
So this is not a wave of Omicron so much as a wave of Delta.
Seems we have forgotten that Delta transmits readily enough when people disregard sensible,precautions and mingle as if there were no virus!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So the absolutely huge increase in testing is not influencing this massive rise in cases? I’m not saying that they catch all the cases however if our testing was at a level of 2 months ago for example we would have a fraction of the cases. Obviously they are still out there as their level is their level regardless of testing however the suggestion that it is spiralling out of control isn’t totally correct, it’s being driven by the fact we’re testing so much so we are finding them.
Yesterday there were 3200 confirmed cases of Omicron
Today nearly 10k....
Jus' sayin'....

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see massive amounts of two fingers up at this, and quite rightly so in my opinion. 3 lockdowns, it comes straight back, jabs jabs and more jabs, its still there. It isn't going away, ever, so we need to learn to live with it. We can still be sensible and that but without the constant locking down/closing businesses etc etc.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yesterday there were 3200 confirmed cases of Omicron
Today nearly 10k....
Jus' sayin'....

I don't doubt that the numbers of Omicron have risen and will continue to do so but are you saying that the huge rise of daily cases has nothing to do with the fact that our testing strategy has gone through the roof?

Look at the German numbers for example, if they're performing 3 tests per 1,000 people whilst we are doing 19 do you look at their numbers and go "look how well they are doing, their case numbers are so low" or is it because they are performing a fraction of the tests. I am not saying that there isn't a high level of infection out there, what I saying is that we are finding more of it due to our testing.