Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Interesting observation from my Tesco this morning...only people not wearing masks were about a dozen staff who are all, apparently, exempt....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure what sort of pub you are in but it is very much the norm in my village local and, indeed, my previous local as well. Everyone chats to everyone in the bar and so everyone stands up and mills around or sits at the bar. It is a small bar and so most regulars will buy a round for people coming in anyway. In a busy pub I understand it but in many village pubs where everyone knows everyone in the bar, it is perfectly normal.
It's a very busy pub and it's no joke when people are standing three or four deep to be served while a group decide they like leaning on the bar and block it off. Staff should shift them.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It might not be Dr Steve from Facebook, but it is Dr Colin Axon who is......

"Senior Lecturer in the Institute of Energy Futures. My research is about the use of energy in the urban environment and the limits to natural resources. My main areas of interest are in energy security, sustainability, transport, electricity networks, and resource efficiency. I use techniques and methods including the application of robust methods for metrics and indicators, and data mining and analytics. I have published more than 80 reviewed articles and technical reports."

Areas he's researched are.....
  • Energy security, risk, and sustainability.
  • Data analytics for energy use in the urban environment.
  • Infrastructure investment for the low(er)-carbon transition.
  • Energy use by transport and it's impacts on health.
  • Robust methods for metrics and indicators.
  • Electricity networks.
He may well be an expert in Energy futures and energy in the urban environment but what he's certainly not is a medical doctor or an epidemiologist.

https://www.brunel.ac.uk/people/colin-axon
I noticed this when I looked him up.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, the one I use, bought on the net, has disposable PM2.5 filters in it.

the ones I bought and used are also PM2.5 The PM2.5 being a charcoal filter for those that do not know.

My understanding though is that this grade is not good enough to stop virus.

When I did some research before buying my masks I understood an N95 was the minimum grade to achieve this

Yes, IIRC, I think it was Prof Whitty , in one of the first briefings,explaining that masks weren't necessary because they stop only droplets, and if people kept to 2 metres apart the droplets don't travel beyond that distance.
So, what about aerosol transmission? Hobbits post explains that (some?) present day masks filter the virus particle. The blue ones I have- straightforward bought online- claim to be to a standard PM 2.5, which when I looked it up says it will filter particles of Covid size.
If that is correct, and subject to the "fitting" argument, then it seems they help protect.
But a number of claims need to be correct and accurate!

Full fitting is the reason a lot of masks do not make the grade for full protection, my PM2.5 masks certainly would not meet that criteria

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
the ones I bought and used are also PM2.5 The PM2.5 being a charcoal filter for those that do not know.

My understanding though is that this grade is not good enough to stop virus.

When I did some research before buying my masks I understood an N95 was the minimum grade to achieve this

Full fitting is the reason a lot of masks do not make the grade for full protection, my PM2.5 masks certainly would not meet that criteria

How many on here are clean shaven and have a correctly face fitted mask? Maybe one or two in the building game or the good Dr but most people are putting on a mask without a good seal, they will then pull it about, lift it up and screw it up in their pocket to re-use making it virtually pointless. And the amount of waste being generated is criminal.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I was certainly in the minority not wearing a mask in an uncrowded Aldi earlier

I’ve just been to Morrison’s on my way home, I didn’t wear one. Ironically to get some vitamin tabs after a heavy weekend and body has took a battering with the heat and drink.

No staff were wearing them and I would say 80% shoppers were wearing them.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Not that cut and dried though is it? For every hepatitis there will be 10 x chest pains, tiredness and brain fog (?)

I suppose I’m looking at it from an employers point of view but people will definitely milk it.
From my own experience I can tell you that chest pain moves you right up the queue at A&E.

The negative is, that even if they don’t find anything, or especially if they don’t find anything (?) they keep you for at least one night.

If someone wants to fake anything, chest pain might not be the way to go.