Converting a Powakaddy CT6 to Mag-Lock

DannyStillwell

Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully converted a previous generation Powakaddy CT6, or other Powakaddy Trolley to use the new Mag-Lock system?

I'm in the market for a new bag and like the look of the Powakaddy Premium Tech Bag and love the Mag-Lock feature.

My thinking was to attach the Mag-Lock holder to my CT6 using some no more nails or gorilla glue.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had a go.

Thanks

Burnsey

Visit site
The Powacaddy bags come with the mag-lock ‘puck’, which is positioned into a spot on the trolly with two locator studs left and right of a screw hole. Not sure if you have that spot on the CT6, but on the CT8 I have it’s just a plate with two locator holes and one for the screw. The plate itself rocks front to back a touch - not actually sure why.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone else perplexed by this? Seems like solution in search of a problem. What's wrong with a strap?

Instead of messing about with unnecessary high tech solutions to problems that don't exist, Powakaddy could do well to address existing design faults that have been present since the year dot - such as the utterly stupid location of the switch that makes it far too easy to accidentally knock on.

Burnsey

Visit site
Anyone else perplexed by this? Seems like solution in search of a problem. What's wrong with a strap?

Instead of messing about with unnecessary high tech solutions to problems that don't exist, Powakaddy could do well to address existing design faults that have been present since the year dot - such as the utterly stupid location of the switch that makes it far too easy to accidentally knock on.

Switch has been updated. Only accidentally turned on by head butting it.

There's no high tech in the MagLock, it's a simple convenient solution. straps get tangled, so the less, the better.

Reactions: Val

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I tend to think that the little tweaks that Powakaddy are intended to stop third party accessories being used, as they did with the batteries.

Waling86

Visit site
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully converted a previous generation Powakaddy CT6, or other Powakaddy Trolley to use the new Mag-Lock system?

I'm in the market for a new bag and like the look of the Powakaddy Premium Tech Bag and love the Mag-Lock feature.

My thinking was to attach the Mag-Lock holder to my CT6 using some no more nails or gorilla glue.

Thanks
Hi Danny,

I have also just been looking into this myself. Just bought a new 2024 Powakaddy bag and it came with the Mag-Lok magnet.
Currently I have a FX3 from 2020 so there is no tapped hole and location holes for the magnet to be mounted.
I've contacted Powakaddy direct to ask if there's an option to buy a new front wheel assembly with Mag-Lok

DannyStillwell

Visit site
Hi Danny,

I have also just been looking into this myself. Just bought a new 2024 Powakaddy bag and it came with the Mag-Lok magnet.
Currently I have a FX3 from 2020 so there is no tapped hole and location holes for the magnet to be mounted.
I've contacted Powakaddy direct to ask if there's an option to buy a new front wheel assembly with Mag-Lok
they said to me that they can make the conversion at a cost of around £75, but didn't recommend it

A1bertz

Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks
I've done it. The puck arrived attached to a little card that you can use as a template to drill 3 holes. Centre hole you drill right through, outer holes you are just making a little recess.

Then just grab a longer M5 bolt( I used 40mm in length but 35mm would be better) This bolt goes through the centre hole. Secure underneath with supplier nut, I added a couple more locking M5 nuts to ensure all secure.

So pennies to convert the older CT5 trolley to accept the magnetic puck

DannyStillwell

Visit site
I've done it. The puck arrived attached to a little card that you can use as a template to drill 3 holes. Centre hole you drill right through, outer holes you are just making a little recess.

Then just grab a longer M5 bolt( I used 40mm in length but 35mm would be better) This bolt goes through the centre hole. Secure underneath with supplier nut, I added a couple more locking M5 nuts to ensure all secure.

So pennies to convert the older CT5 trolley to accept the magnetic puck

Thank You!!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
@A1bertz

Does the bag sit comfortably on the puck? It looks to me like the only point of contact between the bottom of the bag and the trolley will be the puck. It doesnt look like the bag will sit on the "footplate" and wont utilise the cutaway section that most bags have now to "mate" with the trolley footplate.

I dont believe the magnetic system is supposed to replace the mating of bag to trolley via the cutaway section of the bag....its just to replace the lower strap that holds the bag in place. Cant help feeling that the weight of the bag going over bumpy ground is going to be stronger than the bond between the bag and the puck and that the bag will twist around quite a bit.

If you had found a way to recess the puck into the trolley footplate so it was flush, then I'd have more confidence that the puck would hold the bag in place.

Will be interesting to hear how the conversion works in practise.

A1bertz

Visit site
@A1bertz

Does the bag sit comfortably on the puck? It looks to me like the only point of contact between the bottom of the bag and the trolley will be the puck. It doesnt look like the bag will sit on the "footplate" and wont utilise the cutaway section that most bags have now to "mate" with the trolley footplate.

I dont believe the magnetic system is supposed to replace the mating of bag to trolley via the cutaway section of the bag....its just to replace the lower strap that holds the bag in place. Cant help feeling that the weight of the bag going over bumpy ground is going to be stronger than the bond between the bag and the puck and that the bag will twist around quite a bit.

If you had found a way to recess the puck into the trolley footplate so it was flush, then I'd have more confidence that the puck would hold the bag in place.

Will be interesting to hear how the conversion works in practise.
Your thinking is correct but keep in mind my conversion is just positioning the puck to where it would sit within the current base plate design of the old trolly....which is pretty bloody small if truth be told:

joyeux anniversaire en russe google traduction

I don't have a new cart design in front of me, I would need to imagine that the base plate would need to be massive on the new trolley's design as the recess on the bottom of the new bag is huge:

Now in my case, I just bought a new bag (Premium Tech) that happened to have this mag lok with it. I never went looking for mag lok as something I thought I needed.
If anything, I had to add the puck as per your initial thoughts if my new bag was just sat on that old trolley with it's very small base plate, I'm sure the new bag would fall off despite being bungied on. The baseplate only capture a small part of the new bag when fully seated. So for me the puck just helps me for a new bag that has a very poor fit to the old CT5 trolley.

As an fyi, I have played a round with the bag just held on by the mag lok. The magnets are as strong as anything I've seen. In fact when the puck was loose out the wrapper and I seated it onto the bag, it was just about impossible for me to break the bond by hand. I had to lever the puck from the bag with a long screwdriver to get any leverage as it's so strong.

I'm personally going to use the puck but also use the bungee. The bungee will just hang there and do nothing anyway, so I might as well use it.

Hope this helps. Unless you were buying a new Powakaddy bag to fit on an old CT trolley...I wouldn't be out there seeking this out as something needed. For me I thought I needed to go the effort in order to use the new bag ( my 1st Powakaddy bag so have no idea how the old bag sat on the old CT trolleys.

New Trolley looks like:

Last edited:

DannyStillwell

Visit site
Just took delivery of a Premium Tech Bag and following instructions above have successfully converted my CT6 to include the MagLock.

Compared to my old Wilson bag its as solid as a rock, thanks for all your help