Contemplating a putter change

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
After a bit of a disastrous round at the weekend I'm having the standard equipment change thoughts.

I was playing quite well with my driver, hybrid and irons, but two clubs were causing me a loads of grief - 60 Degree wedge and putter.

The wedge isn't an issue, I've still got my old 60 Degree that I can put back in the bag, but the putter is what I'm thinking of changing.

Like I said mostly I felt like I was playing ok, but five 3-putts and probably another 3/4 times where I've putted from the fringe and still 2-putted on the green resulted in a net 78.

I've always used blade putters but I'm considering changing to a mallet putter (been looking at the taylormade ghost spider s). People have said I should try a thicker grip but I'm not sure I want to fork out on a new grip if I end up getting a new putter weeks later.

Has anyone else converted from a blade to a mallet/mid mallet putter and how have you got on?

The third option of course is to get some putting lessons from a pro (maybe I'm just crap when I reach the 'scoring zone'?)

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was also having the same problem with my putting and as always it had to be the equipment and not me.

Got myself a TM Ghost Spider with the thicker grip. 3 weeks down the line I've hit my lowest score on my home course and also got myself my first cut this year.

Maybe just a coincidence but I definitely feel a whole lot more confident with this style of putter, especially from distance.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
With all the good will in the world, a new putter won't stop you 3 putting.

I'm guessing not having seen you play you have issue with either pace, line or both?

Your thoughts regarding a lesson are spot on. £20(....ish) spent on that will yield better results than £100+ on a new flat stick.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
pffft rubbish, get a new putter ;)

go down AG or somewhere and have a feel of a few and see if they have any with thicker grips to try. I went to a thicker grip and it made a mahoosive difference.

Might try one on the rest of the clubs thinking about it :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
pffft rubbish, get a new putter ;)

go down AG or somewhere and have a feel of a few and see if they have any with thicker grips to try. I went to a thicker grip and it made a mahoosive difference.

Might try one on the rest of the clubs thinking about it :D

:rofl:

Get a fatso on your 7 iron Gibbo :thup:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
After a bit of a disastrous round at the weekend I'm having the standard equipment change thoughts.

I was playing quite well with my driver, hybrid and irons, but two clubs were causing me a loads of grief - 60 Degree wedge and putter.

The wedge isn't an issue, I've still got my old 60 Degree that I can put back in the bag, but the putter is what I'm thinking of changing.

Like I said mostly I felt like I was playing ok, but five 3-putts and probably another 3/4 times where I've putted from the fringe and still 2-putted on the green resulted in a net 78.

I've always used blade putters but I'm considering changing to a mallet putter (been looking at the taylormade ghost spider s). People have said I should try a thicker grip but I'm not sure I want to fork out on a new grip if I end up getting a new putter weeks later.

Has anyone else converted from a blade to a mallet/mid mallet putter and how have you got on?

The third option of course is to get some putting lessons from a pro (maybe I'm just crap when I reach the 'scoring zone'?)

I've had all manner of putters, different makes, hosel types, grips etc and even forked out for a putting lesson earlier in the year. The lesson benefited sure, but my putting has improved markedly so through PRACTICE.

A couple of times a week I'm on the practice green, performing the gate drill (YouTube it, best drill out there for attaining a repeatable stroke), holing out from 6ft out, lag putting etc. Put the work in and you will see the rewards!

Now, the exciting part! Get a new putter! No matter what shape, style, brand etc, find the one that gives you confidence when you look down on it, whether it be blade, mallet or something in between. Go for the one you like, not the one the magazines, reviews, handicap buying guides tell you to go for, or that matches your skill level. Anyone in the world can putt well if they practice at it!

Good luck in the search for the holy flat stick!

(p.s. Nike Method putters are awesome)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Someone once said you could always tell how good someone was at putting by the number of putters in the shed. The more putters the worse the putter.

JohnnyLarge

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've played for a few years using an original Odyssey No2 centre-shafted putter with the white insert. Although it feels awesome, I was finding alignment a bit difficult at times and occasionally distance control was a bit hard - particularly on longer putts.
I then had a go with a TM Spider Ghost.

Needless to say, I went and bought one from AGC. The TM Spider Ghost heel putter version. It cost £89. Once you get over the cumbersome looks, you will find alignment is much easier and distance control awesome. I love it, have new found confidence and have just had a 4-round no-three-putt streak.

Try one!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To find a putter that suits you, it needs to be

The right length
Look nice
Feels nice
Nice weight
Sound nice

Having said all that, once you have found a putter that ticks all the boxes, if your technique is rubbish you'll still putt rubbish but you could be up to £200 worse off.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To find a putter that suits you, it needs to be

The right length
Look nice
Feels nice
Nice weight
Sound nice

Having said all that, once you have found a putter that ticks all the boxes, if your technique is rubbish you'll still putt rubbish but you could be up to £200 worse off.

Pretty much agree with all the above....except

If it 'feels nice', 'nice weight' is pretty much irrelevant/sorted.
Could be much more than £200 worse off!

Proper practice is definitely the way to reduce 3-putts though - and to decrease putting overall.

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for all the comments.

I'll certainly not be making a knee-jerk reaction to buying a new putter. I've just been considering a mallet for a while but never got one as I've only had my cleveland blade less than 2 years.

My putting has never really the most consistant part of my game and I probably made it worse by changing my hand position on the grip at the weekend. I committed to playing the whole round with the grip (so I could get a better assessment) but its seemed all 'feel' was gone.

When I felt like I hit it hard - it dropped short
When I hardly touched it - it went 6 ft past
There was also a host of pulls, pushes and missed 4-footers.

Ever since I've been considering moving to a mallet i've been looking at two models. One (already mentioned) was the taylormade ghost spider s, and the second I was looking at was a used oddessey 2-ball (would have to be used - the price of the new ones are enough to make your eyes water!).

Anyway I'll give the blade a good few weeks to try and get back in the good books before I get a new one.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for all the comments.

I'll certainly not be making a knee-jerk reaction to buying a new putter. I've just been considering a mallet for a while but never got one as I've only had my cleveland blade less than 2 years.

My putting has never really the most consistant part of my game and I probably made it worse by changing my hand position on the grip at the weekend. I committed to playing the whole round with the grip (so I could get a better assessment) but its seemed all 'feel' was gone.

Ever since I've been considering moving to a mallet i've been looking at two models. One (already mentioned) was the taylormade ghost spider s, and the second I was looking at was a used oddessey 2-ball (would have to be used - the price of the new ones are enough to make your eyes water!).

Anyway I'll give the blade a good few weeks to try and get back in the good books before I get a new one.

I've just gone the other way - some 20 years with a Spider Rosso and 2 weeks ago I got a Versa.

Reasons -
1. it was misbehaving. I have had a good grip on it for a bit but was still struggling to align shorter puts.
2. I went into AG to see if they had Slider mini in LH yet (of course not) and happened to pick up a few putters.
3. of 5 similar looking putters this one felt balanced through impact for me. subsequent discussion/reading established that my eyes are inside the ball & slight arc to swing mean it's better suited to me.
4. I'm now confident, which is of course most of the performance element when playing anyway!

bob's analysis above is a great all round sum up!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

A new putter is not going to fix all that.

If it 'feels nice', 'nice weight' is pretty much irrelevant/sorted.

Don't agree

Could be much more than £200 worse off!

Only if you're stupid