Contacts Vs Glasses

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I am 50. Have worn lens since I was 17. I currently pay £13 a month for lens from Specsavers, 1 pair and solutions every month (received 3 monthly in the post). Contact check every year, Sight test every 2 years. My lens are high in Oxygen and I can wear them for 24 hours at a time no problem. I am allowed to sleep in them occasionally without issues (normally when I am getting pissed up).

You just need to speak to your optician and let them know exactly what you need, there are loads of types and options. Don't be railroaded in to dailies they cost way more just use the monthlies and follow the correct routines and you will have no issues.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I used to wear contacts from dawn until dusk every day, but now only use them for golf and other outdoor activities like walking and cycling.

I would urge anyone to consider an independent optician over and above Specsavers. I have used one such optician for years, find the prices very comparable, but the after sales care is so, so much better. I’m afraid, with Specsavers, you very much get what you pay for, and having tried budget against independent, the latter wins hands down.

Regarding varifocal contacts, I tried them but simply couldn’t get on with them. My prescription now is adequate, but I’ve long since accepted you simply don’t get the crisp vision with contacts that you do with specs.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to admit to getting on a bit in years and have been using contacts for nearly 50 years, starting with monthlies and been with dailies now for a very long time. I switched to multifocal about 3 years ago and have been happy with them. I have good distance vision for driving and golf, and only need to use reading glasses for very small print. I pay £30 a month

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had several discussions over the last couple of weeks re varifocals. At the course and at a wedding last weekend. The general feeling is that Specsavers varifocals are rammel, with quite a few being returned.

IanMcC

Visit site
Spoiler alert. This may have no use whatsoever to the original poster. Have worn contacts for about 18 years now. For the past 3 years or so I have only worn 1, alternating each eye daily. 2 lenses I can see but cannot read. No lenses I can read but cannot see!! I have yet to determine what configuration suits my golf game best. Never spoken to anyone who advocated varifocals. You may be like me. Your brain adapts if one lens is adequate.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also use mono-vision. One lens in dominant eye which brain uses for distance and no lens in other eye which brain uses for reading/close work. My reading vision is still pretty good though so not sure how that would work if (which I think is the issue with the OP) correction is needed for both elements. Works a treat for me though and half price as I only need one lens a day. In reality I have 20 lenses a month as when I can I won't wear a lens and will wear specs to give my eye a break.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Years ago before my sight started going a mate came into the pub and declared he was wearing one contact lens on the advice of the optician. We all thought his optician was taking the mick. Seems as though it is a workable solution to some.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All very good info. Thanks. I find it very confusing though. I'm leaning towards monthlies as they're much cheaper but I need to see how the week's trial goes. Might not like them at all.

It seems that contacts aren't the convenient replacement to glasses that I first thought. You can only wear them around 12 hours per day and you're not supposed to have a nap in them either ?. That's me stuffed.

i keep my lenses in all the time. i wear them for a month, take them out and don't wear any for a few days then put a new pair in

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I also use mono-vision. One lens in dominant eye which brain uses for distance and no lens in other eye which brain uses for reading/close work. My reading vision is still pretty good though so not sure how that would work if (which I think is the issue with the OP) correction is needed for both elements. Works a treat for me though and half price as I only need one lens a day. In reality I have 20 lenses a month as when I can I won't wear a lens and will wear specs to give my eye a break.
I have both close/reading vision lenses for my non-dominant left eye, but as I get on fine with no left lens at all for close vision I could simply cancel that lens and just have a distance vision left lens - I need that for golf and when out and reading will not be essential, as my left eye is the weakest with the worst astigmatism.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
My prescription has changed so need varifocals. Used to just be for computer work etc so now need to wear them all the time. Spoke to the optician at the time and she said that contacts were an option but my eyes will need to be monitored and tested more frequently if using them.
Went to Specsavers (cheaper than where I got tested) to get the new glasses and now getting used to them.
Spoke to them about contacts and started a trial with them yesterday. Went yesterday and got all the tests and was shown how to insert and remove them.
Problem is the monthly package (easyvision or something) is £40 for dailies. Do I need to do this? Can I not just purchase them online and pay for an eye test once per year?
I suppose I could do it for a year, see how it goes and then decide.

Im on the Specsavers deal where you wear the same contact lenses for a month and do daily cleaning. I only use them for golf and skiing and the deal is £11 a month.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I pay monthly DD to Vision Express. If I find that my usage is low and I am building up too much of a ‘stock’ I simply ask VE to put their DD claim on hold for a month or three - or whatever. Costs me nothing to do that.

At the moment I think VE are doing half-price on lenses for glasses for DD payers - I may well get new lenses in my glasses as current ones are a bit scuffed, and I often wear glasses in the late evening as I take contacts out as optician recommends.