Contact Lenses

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I went to the optician for the first time in (im guessing) 8 or 9 years. I was lucky to find my proscription had not changed and my eyes are in good condition. I went to ask and try some contact lenses. I am getting old and have a young child so do not want spex on my face if I can help it.

I have never used them before but it will allow me have full vision on the golf course, I am short sited (astigmatism), will this have a benefit to my golf in your opinion? For putting it may help?

I am also interested to know how long until the contacts feel comfortable or normal. I have been told that disposable monthly's will be best for me.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Alex

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have been using daily disposables for use at weekends for several years, as being a machinistcontacts arent ideal for work. When i first got them they initially couldnt fix the astigmatism fully with the dailies but it was more than good enoug just not quite 20/20.
With a 4 year old he hates me wearing my glasses and quite often takes them off for me so i can understand your position.
i reckon within a day or 2 before they feel comfortable and probs around a week to 10 days for your eyes to adjust you may find you have to take out in the evening to start as yoiur eyes may feel dry and tired.
Did they not offer a FOC trial? Even it it is only dalies rather than monthlys got to be worth an ask?
i havent noticed any difference in my golf with or without glasses.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
HI Alex

I have worn contacts ( monthly ) for some years, I am long sighted

they have also helped my distance vision and I can read my scorecard without glasses.

When you have started using them give LENSTORE a look online ordering lower prices etc etc

They are something that takes a lot of time getting used to putting in your eyes and taking out, soon it comes easier

They if selected correctly can be worn for up to 12 hours a day, remember to give yours a rest maybe 1 day per week and wear glasses perhaps that day

I have worn mine for 18 hours in the past, early start, flight abroad, late night etc etc

They do dry out if worn too long and this can make yours eyes feel dry

They also offer Multivison contacts that can correct near and far vision, I tried them and they work well but tend to blur the distance a bit

Hope that helps

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Alex

I am also short-sighted, with an astigmatism. I wear glasses ordinarily, but wear contacts for sport. I use Focus Daillies, which are daily disposables. Most opticians will, I think, give you 5 pairs for free as a trial. It is important to maintain visits to the optician for general eye-care especially when wearing contacts. By the time you get to the end of 5 trial pairs, you will have got the hang of them, though I do still occasionally make a mess of putting the lenses in, or it feels slightly uncomfortable. If it does, I just start again.

The lenses I use do not correct the astigmatism, but the level of detail is absolutely for sport - golf included. I tried some lenses that did correct the astigmatism and my vision was crisper, but as they were slightly thicker so a little less comfortable and a little more expensive, I didn't continue to use them.

It's a big advantage for me when outside - helps reduce irritation of my eyes from pollen, and it's not a problem when it's raining. My ball striking is not crisp though - but that is absolutely nothing to do with my vision, more my ineptitude.

A

Alex1975

I am getting a month free trial, they just did not have any in stock. I am looking at about £18 a month with solution and all the bits. I have been told to go back regularly and the woman who looked after me was very very professional.

She did say that the lenses I need are a little thicker at the bottom. I have a bath every night at 6.30 with my little girl so it will be the ideal time to take them out and rest my eyes.

If my eyes feel tired can I not just use some eye drops or something?

I do feel vain but its not just that, I don't like the marks on my nose and want them for golf.

Thanks all

Alex

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When your yes feel tired drops can help but its a sign your eyes are telling you to remove them

People often fall asleep with them in so no major issues but try to follow the recommendations given to you

Its not a natural thing at first touching your eyeball with your finger but soon it becomes easy just make sure you have clean hands and plan an area where you can find the lens if you drop it

I tend to do mine over the sink, plug in ! sometimes I don't bother as I have many spare lenses

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Main point here is comfort. Ask the Optician if you could try different brands. They usually have lots of brands to giveaway for you to try.

I use to wear the Johnson & Johnson Daily Acuvues. But was told they were old technology and would I like to try the new Silicone Hydrogel Lenses. I have blocked tear ducts and for me, they seemed comfier and stayed lubricated longer than the Acuvues.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've astigmatism and have been wearing contacts for nearly 30yrs - recently changing from gas permeable contacts all the time to vari-focal glasses for general vision - changing to daily soft disposables for golf and if I just fancy a change from glasses. Piece of cake - though they are distance lenses and so my near vision is poor and have to wear reading glasses with the dailies. I can't be bothered wearing glasses for golf when it rains or it's very warm. Don't find any issue playing whatsoever. You'd think there might be - especially with putting - but I think our brain is very quickly able to compensate so it makes not a hoot of difference.

And yes - you do get used to poking about in your eyes when you lose one (not such an issue with softies but with gp's one would sometimes disappear way off the cornea - hell of a poke around required to find it :) - but I could feel it was in there).

devonboy

Hacker
Visit site
Daily disposables for me for about 3 months now after avoiding glasses for a few years!!

Funnily enough my sight is a million times better, but the golf hasn't improved :)

And I thought I hit the ball further, but now I can see where it lands. :D

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so as a speccy git do contacts make any difference with golf?

I suffer with dry eyes so can wear for 4 or 5 hrs max, got loads in a box upstairs as bought 3 month worth a while back for nights out etc
(vanity and pulling a few munters here and there ;) )

A

Alex1975

Nice one all... So can't blame being crap at golf on my eyes then. Knee post coming soon.... Followed by teeth post.... Followed by wrist post....

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
so as a speccy git do contacts make any difference with golf?

I suffer with dry eyes so can wear for 4 or 5 hrs max, got loads in a box upstairs as bought 3 month worth a while back for nights out etc
(vanity and pulling a few munters here and there ;) )

they certainly make it easier when its raining! not that, that happens much!!! :lol:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have never even considered buying my lenses online! I am defo going to start though!

lenstore.eu as you cant buy from a UK based company as regular check ups are required, but as tesco are doing free checks just get the prescription or details off the box few clicks and within a couple of daysstocks are up at well below the £18/month ish most places charge!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No need to pay £18 a month, I use ASDA opticians and get better service than I did with optical express, paying £27 up front for 3 months worth of accuvue advance lenses and if I want fluid with it then its an extra £9 (a months offering of fluid normally last 6/8 weeks so I don't need fluid every time I order).

Should add that all my aftercare is free providing I order direct with ASDA once a year.

For dailies I've used daysoft in the past, very good and a cheap option but no eye care with them.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Don't like the idea of this!

First time you put them in is an absolute nightmare as your brain is telling you not to poke yourself in the eye. Took me best part of 1 hour to get them both in with some very sore eyes. Fine after that though and have now got it down to 15 minutes each eye ;).

You sound very similar to me, I have Toric Focus Dailies. But my eye balls are a slightly odd shape apparently, so they never fit super comfortably. I could pay a lot to get some that would fit correctly, but it's not worth it. So I just use mine for sport (badminton/golf mostly if it is raining) as if they are in for too long they become very uncomfortable. Used to have monthlies but went to dailies as it worked out cheaper.

Best of luck getting them in the 1st time.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trust me you will not lose a softlens behind your eye

It will take a few minutes to put them in at the start, now it takes me about 30 secs to take both out

The other thing is what solution to use, the peroxide one or the other non bleach versions orange or green in specsavers colours

If you use the peroxide one first a warning, do not ever try to put the lens back in after only a shot period of being in the solution. Its like putting bleach into your eye, trust me I have done this and it hurts alot

The non bleach version means you can take them out put into solution and a few minutes later pop them back in again, handy when taking a shower etc etc

The problem is the non bleach solution you have to clean each lens before storing for the night, the bleach one you take out and dump into the peroxide job done and leave for 6+ hours

Its really easy and well worth the initial agro

For monthly disposables you can find prices in the region of £25 / £30 for 3 month supply both lenses, and you must stick to your prescription including dimensions as stated in your eye test