Confused.com

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Played today, genuinely never missed a fairway and hit my irons brilliantly. Putting and short game excellent. Really pleased with it all ...

BUT

4 times i had 100 odd yards to go. First time, a 52*, fatted.

Second time 58* thinned

Third time- PW thinned

Fourth time- 52 fatted.

I'm swinging and striking better than ever until it comes to these 3 clubs, and am always confident with them before the shot.

Any thoughts? Are there any common faults that cause this?

Ta

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You might want to read Dave Pelz short game bible. An interesting read.

Thin wedges were caused by a slide of the legs and fats were caused by ball position being too far forward.

That was his theory (I think) but explained over a few hundred pages!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm similar, Driving even impressing myself now, confident with irons but the scoring clubs PW 52* SW I do very very similar. I got rid of the 52* to make me hit the SI further or grip down the PW and play normal shot.

I reckon I/we arent committing to the shot the way we do with the longer clubs, probably quitting on some, or flipping the wrists and coming out of it early to avoid the fatted shot.

Solution, practice and commit to these shots confidently, theres obviously nothing wrong with your swing for all the other clubs so its most likely in the head for the scoring clubs.

Thats my thoughts anyway, let me know if you sort it differently as I need help also.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Id say your weight is on the back foot at impact....probably because you are trying to lift the ball up in the air.
To help you with this ptoblem, try this...
Keep your head very still on the backswing and stay down on the ball until after impact. Make sure you turn through the shot and finish with your chest pointing at the target.
The video below is about 50 yds so you can either lengthen the swing or club up but it gives you an idea.
Have you tried a half swing with an 8 iron?

[video=youtube;rbNPX5ZT9FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNPX5ZT9FY[/video]

granters

Q-School Graduate
Thanks Bob,will hit the practice ground and give it a go. I do play a lot of half shots with 8/9 iron but at the level I'm playing at I should be able to hit the wedges. There were a few shots yesterday where pins were tucked in near the front and I needed it to stop quickly.

Thanks all,good advice all round

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with Bob on the underlying element - a subconscious feeling that you need to 'get under the ball'; also ties in with your comments on the reason for your shot selection. It can lead to a number of different 'behaviors', most of which create the symptoms you outline.

I find I become prone to it when I have been hitting a lot of wedges off firm mats/ranges - if you have the luxury of an area of soft, tight, turf to practice from it will resolve it pretty quick (in conjunction with Bob's keys above :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fixed this by getting a lesson. My pro set me up and we hit full, 3/4 and 1/2 shots with all clubs from an 8 to a sand wedge.

He found some faults I do with shorter clubs, mainly due to posture and trying to throw the shots with my hands.

It worked for me, I started to love having less than a full club into a green. My favourites was the 3/4 PW, used to LOVE hitting that into greens and tried to leave the ~70 yards it hit when laying up.

T

thecraw

58 degree 100 yards????

Trying to hit it too hard is my suggestion, go back to your Fereneze, knock downs with a nine iron.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I get no distance at all with my 56deg SW. I find I just balloon the ball almost vertically when struck sweetly. Is it due to hitting the ball too hard? My SW ball position is normally just inside the right heel.
I can use my PW much better for approaches to the green from around 60 yards but struggle from 50 yards and in.
Had an issue yesterday with club selection from around 50 yards, just didn't know what to do. Went with the SW and although hit the ball nicely, ballooned it and fell short.

Sorry for hijacking, but what can I do to get more distance from my 56 deg wedge?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
58 degree 100 yards????

Trying to hit it too hard is my suggestion, go back to your Fereneze, knock downs with a nine iron.

Rubbish.... you don't see decent players knocking down 9 irons from 100yds very often.

Seeing as we don't know if the shot was uphill/downhill with wind helping/hindering or whether he was closing the face etc etc then we can't really judge what club he should be using. My 58 degree is good for up to 105yds on a flat shot with no wind, that's swung without trying to leave my shoes behind.

T

thecraw

Rubbish.... you don't see decent players knocking down 9 irons from 100yds very often.

Seeing as we don't know if the shot was uphill/downhill with wind helping/hindering or whether he was closing the face etc etc then we can't really judge what club he should be using. My 58 degree is good for up to 105yds on a flat shot with no wind, that's swung without trying to leave my shoes behind.

There is the voice of a man who cant play nor understands links golf!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
but what can I do to get more distance from my 56 deg wedge?

Use a less lofted club? :confused: ....

... and learn how to control distance with the clock face drill.

If you've got that situation where you have short sided yourself and need that high "flop" shot to just get over the hazard and stop dead by the flag, play sensibly with a stock shot to make sure you are on the green and not in the hazard or thinned through the green. Take your medicine and hope for a 2 putt at most.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played today, genuinely never missed a fairway and hit my irons brilliantly. Putting and short game excellent. Really pleased with it all ...

BUT

4 times i had 100 odd yards to go. First time, a 52*, fatted.

Second time 58* thinned

Third time- PW thinned

Fourth time- 52 fatted.

I'm swinging and striking better than ever until it comes to these 3 clubs, and am always confident with them before the shot.

Any thoughts? Are there any common faults that cause this?

Ta

Total guess but you might be moving your body too much (heave or sway) perhaps trying to help the ball up in the air. Try making a turn but maintain your height and swing your arms, trust the loft of the club.

Also make sure that you keep that left arm straight-ish.

granters

Q-School Graduate
Hit the practice ground tonight to sort this out. Tried everything suggested but couldn't crack it. Gave up and played a few holes. Still driving well and long irons were great.

Finally discovered i'm taking the club back outside the line on the way back with the wedges and chopping at it. Amazing how these things creep in. subconsciously . Concentrated on taking it back slightly inside and Bob's your uncle ,was striking it superbly again.