Confused about shafts - Project X and Rifle....

S

Snelly

Is Project X 5.5 the same as Rifle 5.5 in terms of steel iron shafts?

Anyone know?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think we had this before? From what I can remember. The rifle were a tad softer than project X. But don't take that as gosple, maybe the other way round sorry. Guess you know who will be along with the right answer, before long.

S

Snelly

Thanks both.

A bit more digging points to yes, they are two different products and 5.5 Project X being roughly the same as Rifle 6.0. If that is, you believe what you read on American forums on golf shafts! Those lads must be exceptionally good golfers because they don't half spend a lot of time, effort and cash on shafts with all kinds of complex labels! Nippon, matched, KBS, soft stepped, taper tipped, C tips etc. All alien to me but I know what I want and it is shafts that are the same or similar to my friend's Razr irons (5.5 Project X).

I was asking the question specifically as I am looking for Razr Tour or AP2 irons and they come with Project X and Rifle shafts respectively.

I never knew things had become so complicated!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Things got complicated a long time ago mate. I love all the shaft discussions, I can add nowt to them other than to say my clubs have shafts, I swing them and hit the ball - the ball goes.
Hardstepped, softstepped - WTF? Mine are steel and quite hard, steel is hard, I though it was one of it's main properties and why it's so popular...

Anyway, that's about as much as I know - about as much as I do about ball flight laws... Do I care? Take a guess :D :thup:

S

Snelly

Things got complicated a long time ago mate. I love all the shaft discussions, I can add nowt to them other than to say my clubs have shafts, I swing them and hit the ball - the ball goes.
Hardstepped, softstepped - WTF? Mine are steel and quite hard, steel is hard, I though it was one of it's main properties and why it's so popular...

Anyway, that's about as much as I know - about as much as I do about ball flight laws... Do I care? Take a guess :D :thup:

All sorted now. Am now the proud owner of Mizuno MP-62's in Black Nickel with PX 5.5 shafts.

Quite excited as in 25 years of playing golf, I have never owned a set of Mizuno irons before.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
All sorted now. Am now the proud owner of Mizuno MP-62's in Black Nickel with PX 5.5 shafts.

Quite excited as in 25 years of playing golf, I have never owned a set of Mizuno irons before.

62s are really lovely mate, you will love Mizzies (not saying that as a Mizzy whore - they just are superb clubs).
Did you get a good deal on them?

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Good man :thup: Once you've had mizzy forged there's no going back!

S

Snelly

Hope not. It has been over 10 years since I got new irons. Quite excited.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a set of those 62s in black nickel once.

On the shaft question there are a number of differences. Rifles are frequency matched so their flex (based on frequency at least) is pretty consistent and plays a shade softer than TT DG S300. Project X are a different type of shaft designed to play very solid and boardy. They are not frequency matched so are a bit more variable within and between sets. PX play about 0.5 firmer than the equivalent Rifle. PX flighted are different again and play softer than PX, similar to Rifle.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good choice Snelly.

I moved to Mizzy from TM and the feel from the Grain Flow Forging is something else.

Hope you like them fella :thup:

I'm Just about to start a thread in the "Ask the Experts" section about shafts.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site

They're doing the rounds Ethan........I passed them on to Snelly for the same price I paid you as I never used them..........Somehow, I think Snelly will hold onto them a bit longer than I did.....he'll certainly hit them better!!!.......they are gorgeous clubs to look at and were my second set of MP62's........hopefully the last as well!!!!! :D

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

Enjoy them. Think you will have them for the next 10 years. I'm still pondering a set of 59's with Nippon 950 shafts in. Oh they are so nice.

S

Snelly

On the shaft question there are a number of differences. Rifles are frequency matched so their flex (based on frequency at least) is pretty consistent and plays a shade softer than TT DG S300. Project X are a different type of shaft designed to play very solid and boardy. They are not frequency matched so are a bit more variable within and between sets. PX play about 0.5 firmer than the equivalent Rifle. PX flighted are different again and play softer than PX, similar to Rifle.

Thanks for that. Which are the shafts in the clubs that you sold to Rick? Not that it matters too much. I am sure they will be lovely and I am a man of my word too.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My last 3 sets of irons have had Rifle shafts and I love them. Compared to hitting mates clubs that have TT DG shafts mine just feel so much nicer when you strike the ball and the trajectory is fantastic in every iron.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that. Which are the shafts in the clubs that you sold to Rick? Not that it matters too much. I am sure they will be lovely and I am a man of my word too.

They were actually a cheap set of shafts in ladies flex on a set of knock offs. I just put some Project X shaft labels on them to make them look genuine.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My last 3 sets of irons have had Rifle shafts and I love them. Compared to hitting mates clubs that have TT DG shafts mine just feel so much nicer when you strike the ball and the trajectory is fantastic in every iron.

Opposite for me. Just can't get on with rifles. No weight, dead feel, leaves me clueless.