conforming tees query

Visit site
Played in a 9-hole comp tonight

At one of the holes there is a mat rather than tee - the whole tee area is effectively carpet

I usually play a 5-iron in hope of staying out of the water on RHS or the trees on the other side - either off the deck or with a tee that can stay still on the mat when placing the ball

Anyway one of my PPs used what looked like the top of a plastic water bottle to hit his driver

I wouldn't recommend it - he topped it left into the trees - but I did wonder if that was a legitimate way to tee up?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't see why not.

''A tee is a device designed to raise the ball off the ground. A tee must not:

• be longer than 4 inches (101.6 mm);
  • be designed or manufactured in such a way that it could indicate line of play;
  • unduly influence the movement of the ball; or
  • otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.
Note: As an exception for difficult turf conditions, tees tethered together or to an anchor may be used during the round provided that the player does not align the tees or tether in such a way that could indicate line of play or otherwise assist the player in making a stroke. ''

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If it was in fact the top of a plastic water bottle, I would suggest it does not satisfy the primary requirement of being "designed to raise the ball off the ground".

That's an interesting interpretation. Is there anywhere that defines or clarifies for certainty what can or cannnot be used. I'm thinking of those that I've seen kicking up the turf to create a higher piece of turf to tee of.

Turf was not designed to tee up a ball higher either - just the act of doing so tees it up.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
''A tee must not:
be designed or manufactured in such a way that it could indicate line of play;''
What's the rationale here? You're allowed to draw a line on your ball and align it on the tee to indicate lne of play, so what's the problem with a tee that does the same thing?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What's the rationale here? You're allowed to draw a line on your ball and align it on the tee to indicate lne of play, so what's the problem with a tee that does the same thing?
I don't know, I didn't write the rule. If I was guessing I would think it's because they don't want a load of weird and wonderful tees but just plain vanilla.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it was in fact the top of a plastic water bottle, I would suggest it does not satisfy the primary requirement of being "designed to raise the ball off the ground".
Does a handful of sand ,like the old days ?
That wasn’t designed to tee up a ball.
Has this been changed with the invention of tees?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My company got some kipper tees which had a flat side on the prong and and oval ball holder on top. Ideal for putting the company logo on the prong and you were meant to tee the ball up with the flat prong pointing in the line of play to ensure you hit the ball first rather than the tee.

I guess reading the above those were illegal unless you positioned the prong at 90 degrees to the line of play?