Computor suggestions please and problem solving.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
The problem.

I have an old (5 years) Dell Latitude D505, with 1GB of Ram (expanded) and a 1.3 GHZ processor. It has damn all space left on the 'C' drive due to software (ex work related) that I cannot remove the usual route. I've also tried with CCleaner, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear out the 'C' drive more effectively? I need to do this to be able to run new software.

Option 2. Which I will need to do sooner rather than later, is to purchase a new laptop. Should I wait until Windows 7 is realeased or go with Vista. The computor will be used mostly for business. But it does require some power and speed to run various business software which will be space and processor hungry.

My problem is that I need to solve my old computor now! I need to get the software up and running ASAP! If I'm to wait for Windows 7. :D :D

Any techies able to help?

Cheers.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
You haven't mentioned the size of your c: drive.
If you have run out of room the only solution is usually to un-install software.
If the full drive is caused by files etc. you can add an external hard drive relatively cheaply and place them on there.
I would also transfer files to online storage, like Dropbox (pay) or the free micosoft storage http://skydrive.live.com/ etc. so you can access them anywhere.

As for a laptop, most are now coming with Vista with the promise of a FREE upgrade to Windows 7 when it's available.
Make sure you ask for the free upgrade when you purchase the laptop (Believe me, Vista is awful, windows 7 is awesome)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Will buying a Vista machine and upgrading it to Windows 7 take up twice the space or will Windows 7 purely overwrite Vista? Also at what risk to additional software that I'll be adding to the machine?

As to the space.Current laptop is 30GB and has 1.2 GB left. Most is taken up with ex work programmes. As I've said, I cannot remove them through the usual remove programme route in the control panel. Or through CCleaner.

Apologies for so many questions but I can't even get MS Accounting Express on the machine!

Ta for the replies so far.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I believe Windows 7 is a whole new operating system and Vista would be removed from your system. If you want a quick solution, an external hard drive will give you bags of space cheaply. Especially if you only had 30gb in the first place.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
HH,
One way of clearing up a bit of space is to start with a new profile. If you have any favorites, email etc make sure you have backed them up to a folder (or external drive) outside the users/documents and settings folder then delete the old profile (when you are sure there is nothing left that you need) Create a new local administrator through the user config in control panel. Old profiles tend to hold onto a lot of old guff as does the temp folders within the windows folder also.
There are a lot of files and folders left from service packs and patches in the main windows folder also and usually have silly long folder names, they are ok to delete too. You can download treesize and it will tell you where your space is going and how much is used in each folder.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Windows 7 might be much better than Vista, but it is still Windows and therefore inherently unstable and unsafe.

Get a Mac Book Pro and worry no more about viruses and crashing. Also get a Time Capsule, which is a nice wireless automated backup disk with a few nice wireless features thrown in. 500Gb or 1Tb versions available.

If you must run Windows software you can still do so via an emulator such as VM Ware Fusion. But you will find you need to do so a lot less than you think.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Run a search for *.tmp and ~*.* files. Then delete them (ctrl-del). Also empty your recycle bin. That should free up some space. Next make sure the user you are logged in as is a local administrator. You should then be able to uninstall programs using add/remove progams.

The only other alternative is to back up the files you want to keep and then do a clean install of Windows.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Option 2. Which I will need to do sooner rather than later, is to purchase a new laptop. Should I wait until Windows 7 is realeased or go with Vista. The computor will be used mostly for business. But it does require some power and speed to run various business software which will be space and processor hungry.

I am pro vista as an OS. The only thing I would gently remind folk is that don't try running it on less than 2gb RAM. I bought an HP Compaq with 1 gb and it didn't get up to decent speed until I bought another module.

I also bought it within a few weeks of vista coming out.

Windows OS's are fine until you start loading up add-ons and freeware (discounting AVG) and generally downloading rubbish.

Windows 7 looks good....but I can't see it being less hungry than vista, so max out the RAM and either get a whopping hard drive (320gb) or purchase an external drive (I have a 500gb Maxtor) to send pictures and videos to once you are done with them. I have a Lacie 120gb pocket drive which has all my films and TV series on....which I only need every now and again.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Windows 7 Ultimate here (got it last week via the MSDN early releases) Its faster than vista, no slow downs yet and comparing to a colleagues vista, its not using any more resources either. I have to say I like it and nowhere near as scarey moving from vista to 7 than xp was to vista.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am a bit down on Windows at the moment.

The CAD I run needs 64 bit XP.
There are no 64 bit XP drivers for my printers (3 of them).
The reports side of the MRP computer won't support 64 bit XP.
Adobe Acrobat reader and Adobe Illustrator won't support 64 bit XP either.
Itunes won't support 64 bit XP either.

However, Vista 64 bit is fine for the above, except the three CAD systems I run won't run on Vista.

No idea what will happen with Windows 7, but it can't be worse.

Currently got two laptops on the go, for different applications.

Out of interest, have you downloaded 'windows instal clean up' from the Microsoft site. This is better at removing programs cleanly than Add/remove programs. I used this the last time I couldn't upgrade my Itunes software.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why is it that Mac users seem to think that a) Mac OS are somehow 'safe' and 'stable' when they have just as much difficulty and b) that telling someone to get a Mac is a useful helpful solution to the problem posted?

Vista is fine but Windows 7 appears to be a solid improvement in a number of areas (although to be fair mostly superficial changes rather than anything systemic).

Definitely get yourself an external drive as well as this is simply very useful to have for backups and general dumping space when needed.

Oh, and ignore spouting Mac users - they're all insufferable bores with a more diseased view of technology than anyone else. It's due to these people that we've ended up with the iPod being the market leader despite being a technically awful piece of hardware and software!

Simples.
:)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is it that Mac users seem to think that a) Mac OS are somehow 'safe' and 'stable' when they have just as much difficulty and b) that telling someone to get a Mac is a useful helpful solution to the problem posted?

Vista is fine but Windows 7 appears to be a solid improvement in a number of areas (although to be fair mostly superficial changes rather than anything systemic).

Definitely get yourself an external drive as well as this is simply very useful to have for backups and general dumping space when needed.

Oh, and ignore spouting Mac users - they're all insufferable bores with a more diseased view of technology than anyone else. It's due to these people that we've ended up with the iPod being the market leader despite being a technically awful piece of hardware and software!

Complete and utter crap, mate. I have never had a fraction of the same problems I have with Windows (at work) on my home Macs. It is a helpful solution because the OP MAY BE BUYING A NEW COMPUTER, and as I did a few years ago he could buy a Mac instead and get rid of a load of his problems. Not hard to work out, really.

Windows has always been an inherently unstable system and Windows 7, 8 , 9 or 150 will not change that.

Most of the insufferable anti-Mac luddites who spout this sort of stuff have never used a Mac.

If you think the iPod and iTunes are technologically inferior, it is because you don't really know how to use them.

Oh, and if you come back and say you work in IT, that really just proves the point. IT departments love Windows because it gives them something to do, fixing and updating all the time.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
HH,

Give up computers and technology completely and returning to pen and paper, turntables and valve amplifiers. Once you've done that, write to all the Windows fans and all the Macs fans and organise a 12th century-style battle.

The Windows fans will turn up late but there will be 9 of them for each Mac fan and every one will be wearning a different battle uniform. The Mac fans will turn up on time in matching smart outfits. A few Mac fans will try to form a 3rd group and seek dialog and peace with the Windows fans, even going so far as to emulate them in some way. This so-called "VMWare" group are the sensible ones who should be running the country but unfortunately they will be murdered before the battle starts.

When the battle commences, the Windows fans will discover that their weapons are not what they seem as their real weapons have been virtualised to a separate location by Windows' User Access Control. This separate location is in another country and is hidden from the view of most Windows fans. Just as they are reading the Microsoft blurb about this, one Mac fan will click the "Kill All Enemies" icon on his Airbook and instantly annihilate all the Windows fans. The Mac fans will then sit around drinking skinny lattes and start a "who is wearing the nicest flannels" competition.

History will record that the Windows fans won. Businesses will still buy Windows. Microsoft will continue to overengineer its operating system when a slimmer, simpler version is what most people want.

Macs will continue to look good and do "exactly what it says on the tin". Mac fans will continue to evangelicise about i-This and Air-That.

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

Sorry, I have got distracted. What was the question again ?