Competition golf

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I’m out tomorrow to play my first competition in 3 years, I’ve been relentless in lessons and practicing since October and generally playing bogey golf, went out today and it felt like going back in time (fighting a terrible hook), Mentally I normally crumble, hopefully I can do my self some sort of justice tomorrow and keep it together even if not going well.
Any advice ??

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Aim to enjoy it and it helps to smile before each drive as this releases the right endorphins (I think). Only other advice is to ensure you stick to a relatively short but consistent pre-shot routine. Best of luck

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Get smashed tonight! Take sunglasses with you for the hangover. Just go and have fun. With the lay off you’ve had don’t put too much pressure on yourself with unrealistic expectations.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In my experience most bad shots are down to being too tense, either physically or mentally

Do whatever you need to do to get get rid of it

Bobthesock

Visit site
It's a club competition, it's not the us open, just go and chill. Just approach it like any other round, best outcome you win, worst you come last and your handicap might go up giving you an even bigger chance next week?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
It’s a round of golf, just treat like any other. You’ve probably got another one booked, so there’s “always tomorrow” if it’s not your day, however you measure that.
Enter all the competitions you can, that way it just becomes another round.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well I’m out tomorrow to play my first competition in 3 years, I’ve been relentless in lessons and practicing since October and generally playing bogey golf, went out today and it felt like going back in time (fighting a terrible hook), Mentally I normally crumble, hopefully I can do my self some sort of justice tomorrow and keep it together even if not going well.
Any advice ??
Smash it

RRidges

Visit site
Any advice ??
Lose the negative attitude!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Shot 101 off the medal tees today and left absolutely loads out there, too many 3 putts and crap second shots after good drives, loosened right up on the back 9 as my mindset was full of confidence.
Im aware it’s still not a great score, but after 3 years away after my troubles, I’m delighted still to be playing the game.