Competition Entry post WHS Implementation

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As WHS is implemented I assume that those people with non-competitive handicaps will be given a HI equal to their old exact handicap. By it's nature this will give them an effective handicap increase which may be justified but with a lack of cards who knows?

Our current competition rules prohibit people with "non-C" handicaps from entering club competitions so we are pondering what to do going forward. Our initial thoughts were to specify a minimum of 3 cards (acceptable rounds) in the last 12 months being required for entry but this is going to be a nightmare to police if lots of people need to be checked each comp.

Has anyone given any thought to this and if so are you willing to share your solution?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If we implement something it will be along the minimum of 3 cards in last 12 months lines. Our comps are pretty much entered by and large by the same regular batch of golfers....if we have say 80 entries then pretty much 65 of them will be the same folks who entered last week.

The other thing is....why do these players not have a "c" handicap currently? The obvious answer is that they dont enter competitions!!!...so its hardly likely that the WHS is going to suddenly motivate them into starting up playing comps again so perhaps your problem isn't going to be as big as you might think it is.

Swango1980

Visit site
As WHS is implemented I assume that those people with non-competitive handicaps will be given a HI equal to their old exact handicap. By it's nature this will give them an effective handicap increase which may be justified but with a lack of cards who knows?

Our current competition rules prohibit people with "non-C" handicaps from entering club competitions so we are pondering what to do going forward. Our initial thoughts were to specify a minimum of 3 cards (acceptable rounds) in the last 12 months being required for entry but this is going to be a nightmare to police if lots of people need to be checked each comp.

Has anyone given any thought to this and if so are you willing to share your solution?
This is true if, for example, they have not submitted scores since Jan 2018. If they entered 3 or more scores in 2018, but none thereafter, they would currently have no "c" status, but their Index would use the scores from 2018 (if there have been at least 3)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If we implement something it will be along the minimum of 3 cards in last 12 months lines. Our comps are pretty much entered by and large by the same regular batch of golfers....if we have say 80 entries then pretty much 65 of them will be the same folks who entered last week.

The other thing is....why do these players not have a "c" handicap currently? The obvious answer is that they dont enter competitions!!!...so its hardly likely that the WHS is going to suddenly motivate them into starting up playing comps again so perhaps your problem isn't going to be as big as you might think it is.
Thanks for the reply.

I agree they are not entering qualifying competitions but they are playing in a lot of mixed and team events which have a lower criteria for entry regarding handicap.

The point is that once they have this handicap index it may never change.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I agree they are not entering qualifying competitions but they are playing in a lot of mixed and team events which have a lower criteria for entry regarding handicap.

If they are not playing stroke play comps does it matter to the other players?
For other events, use the Terms of Competition to specify a minimum number of handicap returns in a time period.

D

Deleted member 25172

Thanks for the reply.

We had our yearly "Nations Cup" a few weeks back where we're playing 4BBB Match play. One of my friends played a man who plays every day but never hands a card in or playing in stroke competitions (or at least very rarely), playing off 14. He gladly told on the first tee that he had been struggling the last couple of weeks, but he'd usually shoot around 2-6 over par gross.

Match was over on the 13th.

Swango1980

Visit site
We had our yearly "Nations Cup" a few weeks back where we're playing 4BBB Match play. One of my friends played a man who plays every day but never hands a card in or playing in stroke competitions (or at least very rarely), playing off 14. He gladly told on the first tee that he had been struggling the last couple of weeks, but he'd usually shoot around 2-6 over par gross.

Match was over on the 13th.
Anybody ever discuss him with the handicap secretary, especially if he plays in official events that happen to be non-qualifying? Is the Nations Cup a club event, or an event organised by a group of friends?

D

Deleted member 25172

Anybody ever discuss him with the handicap secretary, especially if he plays in official events that happen to be non-qualifying? Is the Nations Cup a club event, or an event organised by a group of friends?

Nations Cup is a club event between England vs Ireland and rest of the world. It's not that serious of a comp, but you'd still like to compete on the same playing field. Personally, I wouldn't play against him in any comp whether serious or not. Hopefully, the comp committee will introduce a minimum amount of cards to be handed in before you can play any sort of comp.