competition abandoned, was I right?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today we had a medal, one of the players in the first group out, had a bad fall right in front of the 17th green, she couldn't move so an ambulance was called for, and she was told not to be moved until it arrived. This meant we couldn't really play the 17th. As it was also raining very hard and we didn't know how long the ambulance would be (it ended up taking 90 mins), we decided to abandon the competition.

Were we correct, what were the alternatives?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think it was the right call. Technically, I guess you could have shortened the comp to 16 holes as a non-qualifier, but it feels a bit heartless to play on after an accident like that and I assume most players will have felt better with the comp cancelled.

Hope the player is going to be alright.

I am a bit shocked to hear that the ambulance needed 90 minutes to get there. It is not as if Ellesmere is at the end of the known world. What took them so long? Were they stuck in traffic or did they have trouble finding the place? Is that a normal ambulance response time in the Manchester area?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it was the right call. Technically, I guess you could have shortened the comp to 16 holes as a non-qualifier, but it feels a bit heartless to play on after an accident like that and I assume most players will have felt better with the comp cancelled.

Hope the player is going to be alright.

I am a bit shocked to hear that the ambulance needed 90 minutes to get there. It is not as if Ellesmere is at the end of the known world. What took them so long? Were they stuck in traffic or did they have trouble finding the place? Is that a normal ambulance response time in the Manchester area?
Depends on the severity of the injury and the availability of an ambulance.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Had it happened at our place, air ambulance was called to the group in front. Play did carry on as it was off the green. and if I remember the paramedic in our group who attended (glad he went, we fell out) got 0.1 back. I assume it was rescinded though.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In hindsight it was clearly correct... and clearly all about the extent of the injury too but the ambulance could've arrived in 10 minutes and she got the treatment necessary etc with just a suspension in play of say half an hour, so assuming it wasn't life threatening I'd probably have done that first then cancelled when it was clear the time was marching on/injury too serious

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless it’s a spinal injury we are always told get the person to a safer place. However as it’s just a round of golf and life comes first then spot on with the Action

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anyone who complained that cancelling the comp was wrong, needs to have a long hard look at themselves. The safety of patient and all others in the area come first. Cannot see any positives whatsoever in letting play carry on.
With it raining very hard. That shouldn't really be an issue. Most folk would of been happy to get off the course. The same outcome should happen even if your playing in shorts in perfect conditions.
Good call Lou. 👍

Visit site
Today we had a medal, one of the players in the first group out, had a bad fall right in front of the 17th green, she couldn't move so an ambulance was called for, and she was told not to be moved until it arrived. This meant we couldn't really play the 17th. As it was also raining very hard and we didn't know how long the ambulance would be (it ended up taking 90 mins), we decided to abandon the competition.

Agree with the call, however it's shocking that you waited 90 minutes for the ambulance. Was it a 999 call?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Agree with the call, however it's shocking that you waited 90 minutes for the ambulance. Was it a 999 call?
I brought this up the other week re ambulances and it opened a can of worms. Suffice to say that for some. If its not life threatening it is ok to wait for an hour and a half hour in the elements. You dont wanna go there chip me man. 👍

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I brought this up the other week re ambulances and it opened a can of worms. Suffice to say that for some. If its not life threatening it is ok to wait for an hour and a half hour in the elements. You dont wanna go there chip me man. 👍

Yes, if it’s not life threatening and the available ambulances are being diverted to calls of greater importance then it’s absolutely fine by me. Not ideal, but until the ambulance service have infinite resources I don’t see a better way, but if you’ve got one I’m all ears. I may of course be biased because the one time I desperately needed one this system prioritised me and got me one. I’ve also waited a considerable period when incapacitated but not in imminent danger of death so I have experience of both sides of it.

Last edited:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Not ideal, but until the ambulance service have infinite resources I don’t see a better way, but if you’ve got one I’m all ears.

They don't need infinite resources. Just sufficient ones. What happens in case of a mass accident on a motorway? Or a building collapsing? Not even speaking of a terrorist attack. If they (as it seems regularly) can't handle the everyday amount of small scale injuries and accidents, how can they be suffiently equipped for large scale emergencies? If without it being an exceptionally (meaning once in a year crazy) emergency day, they cannot response to an injured person quickly (as in 20 min or less), then they simply need more ambulances and emergency personnel. And yeah, that might cost tax money, but I'd say it is money well spent.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think you were correct to do it but remember completed rounds still count for handicap purposes

18.7 If a Qualifying Competition is abandoned for any valid reason, the Competition Scratch Score shall be regarded as equal to the Standard Scratch Score and players returning Nett Differentials of less than zero shall have their Exact Handicaps reduced to the extent dictated by the Nett Differential. A Nett Differential of zero or above shall not result in a handicap increase.