Commenting on old threads

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have noticed an increase in people posting in threads that are up to 4-5 years old. Most of these appear to be spam but some are 'helpful' posters thinking they are posting on a thread that is still relevant but is, in fact, years old. Is it possible to automatically lock threads after a year or so to prevent this? They should still be available to view, just not to post on.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have noticed an increase in people posting in threads that are up to 4-5 years old. Most of these appear to be spam but some are 'helpful' posters thinking they are posting on a thread that is still relevant but is, in fact, years old. Is it possible to automatically lock threads after a year or so to prevent this? They should still be available to view, just not to post on.

It is on the Forum I Mod on.
(edited for spelling)

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I like it when an old thread is brought out of retirement, it's not always someone trying to be helpful but rather than go over the same stuff again a new comment is made to an existing thread which revives all the previous comments. We also get a reminder of those posters who no longer frequent the forum.

And then there are the threads that are on-going such as the "I played today.." thread and the superb "Vintage Golf" thread, these shouldn't be shut down after a year (with the possible exception of "The Footie Thread" ;)).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like it when an old thread is brought out of retirement, it's not always someone trying to be helpful but rather than go over the same stuff again a new comment is made to an existing thread which revives all the previous comments. We also get a reminder of those posters who no longer frequent the forum.

And then there are the threads that are on-going such as the "I played today.." thread and the superb "Vintage Golf" thread, these shouldn't be shut down after a year (with the possible exception of "The Footie Thread" ;)).
Agree with the long running threads, may be I should have stated 'dormant' threads with no new posts after a year or so

And I would have expected someone who likes using vintage clubs to want to keep using vintage threads :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of these appear to be spam but some are 'helpful' posters thinking they are posting on a thread that is still relevant but is, in fact, years old.
It's most likely the spambot every time, but if you think it's a regular poster it'll be because the spam posted was deleted before you got there. And that person had replied not noticing the dates.

I'm with Crow, I don't mind it at all. It's funny when it's an issue that you know has been discussed loads of times, so you can see what people contributed to it last time. Or be reminded of some old posters who have stopped visiting now.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
It's most likely the spambot every time, but if you think it's a regular poster it'll be because the spam posted was deleted before you got there. And that person had replied not noticing the dates.

I'm with Crow, I don't mind it at all. It's funny when it's an issue that you know has been discussed loads of times, so you can see what people contributed to it last time. Or be reminded of some old posters who have stopped visiting now.
Just as long as it's not a homergate thread ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You also occasionally get to see some of the more ‘polarising’ characters on here, posting in quite a different style when they were relatively new on the forum ;)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Can't agree, threads should never close, with perhaps the exception of the rules forum, though a year would be too short even for that