coming back to the game, harder than i thought!

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stick with it mate.. I've recently "come back" had only a few rounds in two years as had other hobbies. My scores have been up and down and now after a couple months starting to level out back to where I was before

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played my first round in four weeks today thanks to the weather, most courses closed or just too flooded to get a decent game in. Ive been going to the range once or twice a week, but was itching to get out there to see if I have improved, and I have!

Played Birchwood golf course today, one of my locals and I know it well. Course was a bit boggy in places but the tee boxes and greens were all in excellent condition, greens not frozen and were lightening quick, greenkeepers doing a brilliant job. I didnt lose a single ball, or blob a hole, and came in with 33 points. Not spectacular but for me its a huge improvement, and would have been more if I had used my 3 wood off the tee from my start. Didnt hit a decent driver but swapped to my 3wood on the 9th

So happy! Finally some signs of improvement, and a nice little ego boost. I now believe I can get down from 28!

If there are any other 28s or beginners that are struggling, dont give up! Practice practice practive

Good luck with your game,with practice I'm sure you will see a rapid improvement .

Played Birchwood many times and I think it has a great variety of holes, enjoy the holes 4-9 especially , unfortunately it gets rammed in the summer and very few rake the bunkers, such a pity as its a decent course.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
thanks everyone, its great knowing i can actually score a half decent amount of points, its been so long haha!

That is Birchwoods only downside mate, they cram it with people, and sadly quite a high percentage of those have little to no knowledge of the rules, nor how to treat and look after the course.

They are putting in a swimming pool this year, so i will be tempted to join in 2017

In other news, a group of us are now playing East Sussex national in march, two rounds, overnight accommodation, dinner and breakfast for £99pp fantastic value!

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
hi all,

hopefully some of you remember me! ive taken a year out from the game of golf pretty much, for no particular reason, other than life in general, kids, family, other interests and work. But now im trying to find the time to play again. had my first round today, rained off after eight holes. my score? WHAT SCORE?!? thats right, i didnt score a single point in eight holes!

in case you think i used to play off of scratch, my handicap when i 'gave it up' was 28! thats right, i didnt score a single point today, playing off 28! i couldnt believe it myself, naturally i blamed the gale force winds, sub zero temperatures and then the rain, even my time out from it all. but now im back home and thawed out, ive been thinking, am i just rubbish at golf? am i wasting my time trying to get back into it? should i just sell my gear, and spend the time on my other interests?

Has anyone else had similar woes? If so, id like to hear your experiences, if only for a little inspiration!

cheers,

GBWG aka Stu

I have played 4 out of 7 days for the last 5 months, and am still having days like yours. I don't blame the weather though, I put it down to a lack of natural ability

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Had another lesson tonight, all driver! I wanted to know where I am going wrong. I used to be pretty decent off the tee, straight most of the time, and a solid 240, but my iron play was woeful. Now it seems its the other way around! I hit some cracking iron shots in my last round, all shots into the green were on target (no rough or bunker, some were to the left or right of the greens, but were pin high) but driving has been frustratingly poor. Ive tried all sorts of stance and grip changes, swing planes etc.

Anyway, the instructor gets his flightscope kit out. Whack a few balls, all go left. Identical in height, direction etc. But flightscope says degree is bang on at 4 degree,my swing speed around 90, club face slightly closed at impact. Such an awesome bit of kit!

Soi put the ball backin my stance, undermy left armpit, and I adjust my right shoulder down slightly at address. I also start my backswing with arms first, and again on the downswing, and it was sorted, direction wise I was straight! A slight draw even! Took a bit of getting used to, but id say 80% of my drives were straight after that, and around 200yards carry. I'l take that all day long!

Looking forward to Sunday now, playing one of the first courses I learnt on, Southern Valley in Gravesend, I know the course well so (famous last words) I should do well

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad its all going well mate. No tng days in that neck of the woods coming up mate. But when weather gets better we will find a course somewhere between us mate.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Just back from the society day, the course was in excellent condition as expected, its a lynx course though so the wind battered us from every angle! Nine of us braved the conditions, and im very happy to report that I came first with 36 pts!

The driver did me proud. I played I a 3bbb with two 12 handicaps, I was outdriving one of them all day. 18 front, 18 back, my putting let ne down mostly, but it was more to do with the wind I think. Lots of 3 putts and the odd 4! In fairness I feel I could have easily scored 40 pts, but im chuffed to bits really.

Must buy my instructor a few beers, looking forward to the next round

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from the society day,o the course was in excellent condition as expected, its a lynx course though so the wind battered us from every angle! Nine of us braved the conditions, and im very happy to report that I came first with 36 pts!

The driver did me proud. I played I a 3bbb with two 12 handicaps, I was outdriving one of them all day. 18 front, 18 back, my putting let ne down mostly, but it was more to do with the wind I think. Lots of 3 putts and the odd 4! In fairness I feel I could have easily scored 40 pts, but im chuffed to bits really.

Must buy my instructor a few beers, looking forward to the next round

Glad its all coming together mate.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Havent updated for a while, not played much due to weather and family commitments etc. Came second the last time I played though, lost on countback!

Off to our annual weekender to East Sussex national in the morning, looking forward to it as it has two excellent courses there. Hoping the weather holds but Sunday is looking dire.

Let you know how I get on!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Havent updated for a while, not played much due to weather and family commitments etc. Came second the last time I played though, lost on countback!

Off to our annual weekender to East Sussex national in the morning, looking forward to it as it has two excellent courses there. Hoping the weather holds but Sunday is looking dire.

Let you know how I get on!

Enjoy. Depending on which forecast you look at Sunday first thing looks ok so you may get away with it. Have fun and play well

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Very hit and miss. Started off well, six points after two holes but then became inconsistent. Couldnt hit a wedge shot right all day and kept limping in with a point or blobbing.

It was tough out there buy I still blame myself. What was I expecting after not playing or practicing for three weeks? Reall gotta knuckle down now, Portugal is less than six weeks away!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very hit and miss. Started off well, six points after two holes but then became inconsistent. Couldnt hit a wedge shot right all day and kept limping in with a point or blobbing.

It was tough out there buy I still blame myself. What was I expecting after not playing or practicing for three weeks? Reall gotta knuckle down now, Portugal is less than six weeks away!

Use today as a wake up, put the work in, get the Portuguese sun on your back and rip it up