coming back to the game, harder than i thought!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definately mate. No training courses coming up? :D

Just back from the range, felt suprisingly good! Had the odd shank here and there, but getting a nice distance for each club, ive put my name down for the Sunday society, so il hit the range a coiple more evenings this week.

Welcome back to the golfing madhouse. Hope it goes well at the weekend

Retread61

Assistant Pro
www.nutriment.co
Hang in there it gets better! I had a few years off from regular play between 2008 and 2013. During which I would play maybe 4 times a year and hit balls about the same amount. When I stopped I was a 5hcp and my first hcp on returning to a club was............20!! I rapidly dropped to 12 but only got back to single figures recently. I think 5 may be too far away now but I'm at least playing to 6 or 7 most days. Please don't give it away again. Keep plugging away, it's worth it!!

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Thanks lads. well today i played my first round back, a local course called Lullingstone. One ive not played before, it had wide forgiving fairways, but almost none were even. so even if you hit a good shot, your next would almost always be on a slope of some sort. felt like a long walk as well, that might just be because ive not done it for so long!
the course itself was in a lovely condition though, not one flooded section.

as for my game, well, it was absolutely shocking! Kept hooking my drives and even my 3 and 5 woods left, and these used to be my best clubs. iron play wasnt any better, although i was hitting my long irtons well, again, these used to be my weakest clubs, so ive no idea whats going on! wedges were all thinned across the greens and balls subsequently lost, putting (if i got the chance to!) was average, sinking 6 foot and in generally. overall score was a woeful 12 PTS, with THIRTEEN blobs in all.

So yeah, a complete shocker, brutal to say the least. there was more than one occasion i came close to just smashing all my gear up and storming off, but i held my nerve! Playing next Sunday, at another course ive never played, called Red Libbets.

Back to the range tomorrow!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The fact you wanted to get back into golf, in the middle winter tells me you have found your true love without searching for her on Facebook ten years after you left Skool.
certainly would not beat myself up about playing rubbish in weather of biblical proportions.
looking forward to the topic in July when you shoot 45 points in the glorious sunshineeee and yer mates won't talk to you coz yer a bandit.
welcome back 👍

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This may sound harsh, but if you were not very good before, what makes you think a long lay off and no practice would improve your play?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey, welcome back GBWG, we met briefly at the Help For Heroes day at Hillside - we exchanged a bit of banter between holes!

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better I shot a measly 15 points a couple of weeks ago! Don't get stressed about it, it's only a game - there to be enjoyed regardless of how well we score!
Also with the wet ground conditions it makes it much harder to make good club to ball contact.
I have to say though, that Redlibetts is one tough course, so don't be too hard on yourself if the scores aren't what you're hoping for. :)

Let us know how you get on.
:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was probably destined to always be thus on the first game back. I wouldn't worry as long as you enjoyed it. If you are hitting the range, I'd simply suggest a quick refresher lessons. Get a pro to check your basics, give you a simple drill or two to get on with and I'm sure natural talent will kick back in and next time will be at least 15 points!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember you :) ... just wanted to say that.

I had rather too long (enforced) off Golf and it's always tough coming back.

As long as you enjoy it, that's the most important part.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Cheers Dave, to be honest im enjoying seeing the lads again, and the company, just not the game itself! Just got to knuckle down and crack on with it for now. i know i can improve given the time. First lesson is booked for Monday evening, Red Libbets on Sunday though. As long as I score more than I did last Sunday, I'll be happy!

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Well, today wasn't a total failure! Was rock solid frozen at Red libbets today, particularly the bunkers, of which I found most of them. Impossible to take any sand with the ball!

Omce again, more complete failure with my woods, going left all the time, and my long irons actually feeling pretty good (when I used to be playing regularly, it was the opposite!) but nothing I could really string together. Id hit one cracker of a shot, then bugger the next couple up. That just added to my frustration. BUT.... I did better my previous round, scoring an amazing 17 points. A long way off what I should be scoring obviously, but considering the frozen course, im feeling positive.

Roll on my first lesson tomorrow evening

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well, today wasn't a total failure! Was rock solid frozen at Red libbets today, particularly the bunkers, of which I found most of them. Impossible to take any sand with the ball!

Omce again, more complete failure with my woods, going left all the time, and my long irons actually feeling pretty good (when I used to be playing regularly, it was the opposite!) but nothing I could really string together. Id hit one cracker of a shot, then bugger the next couple up. That just added to my frustration. BUT.... I did better my previous round, scoring an amazing 17 points. A long way off what I should be scoring obviously, but considering the frozen course, im feeling positive.

Roll on my first lesson tomorrow evening

The comeback has cometh. Good luck with the lesson tomorrow

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Cheers mate, lesson was great. The pro set me up on the flight scope, basically ive been over doing it on the back swing, over twisting to the point where i lose my posture. He had me taking what i felt was a three quarter back swing, but it felt so much more relaxed, and i saw instant results.

the flight scope is an excellent piece of kit! It showed that, on impact with the ball my club face was too open, and he adjusted the angle of my club on the back swing too, so that i came through the ball at a steeper angle.

results were instant, hit my fairway woods as well as i used to, no more hooks! cured my push to the right with my irons, left the driver for another lesson, he said if i can hit my 3 and 5 wood as well as i did tonight on the course, i wouldn't need it for now!

Bursting with confidence now, shame i cant play this weekend, but will be drumming all ive been told into myself at the range instead

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cheers mate, lesson was great. The pro set me up on the flight scope, basically ive been over doing it on the back swing, over twisting to the point where i lose my posture. He had me taking what i felt was a three quarter back swing, but it felt so much more relaxed, and i saw instant results.

the flight scope is an excellent piece of kit! It showed that, on impact with the ball my club face was too open, and he adjusted the angle of my club on the back swing too, so that i came through the ball at a steeper angle.

results were instant, hit my fairway woods as well as i used to, no more hooks! cured my push to the right with my irons, left the driver for another lesson, he said if i can hit my 3 and 5 wood as well as i did tonight on the course, i wouldn't need it for now!

Bursting with confidence now, shame i cant play this weekend, but will be drumming all ive been told into myself at the range instead

Work it through on the range and don't be scared to go back if you struggle. It could be a second coming the likes of which we've not seen on here in many a year

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Played my first round in four weeks today thanks to the weather, most courses closed or just too flooded to get a decent game in. Ive been going to the range once or twice a week, but was itching to get out there to see if I have improved, and I have!

Played Birchwood golf course today, one of my locals and I know it well. Course was a bit boggy in places but the tee boxes and greens were all in excellent condition, greens not frozen and were lightening quick, greenkeepers doing a brilliant job. I didnt lose a single ball, or blob a hole, and came in with 33 points. Not spectacular but for me its a huge improvement, and would have been more if I had used my 3 wood off the tee from my start. Didnt hit a decent driver but swapped to my 3wood on the 9th

So happy! Finally some signs of improvement, and a nice little ego boost. I now believe I can get down from 28!

If there are any other 28s or beginners that are struggling, dont give up! Practice practice practive