come back time after 5yrs

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have slowly drifted away from golf and stopped playing 5 yrs ago and i was playing off a 4 handicap

I work offshore so will be trying to play as much as possible while am at home but last trip i was at home ripped the tendons in my arm and couldnt play at all but this time its crunch time.

Monday i will be setting off to the golf course for the 1st time and goto the practice ground to hit a few balls 1st before i step onto the 1st tee. Am quite nervious in a way as dont know hat way it will go.

I would like to get better than before i stopped as am older now and wiser. Also am worried it could go the other way and end up alot worse.

I have a game of golf with work mates next thursday so need to do alot of brushing up before then

any drills people recommend on the practice ground.

I know alot of you will say go out and enjoy it but i will but i used to love on the practice ground aswell so any ideas would be great to get back into it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
as you can see I'm new at this game but if you can get a yardage chart for the the course you will be playing, play the 'virtual' course at the range.
then if you hit a bad drive your second shot will be longer or out of the 'rough' with the appropriate club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing to do is be realistic. You cannot step back onto any course (even if you are Tiger Woods) after a gap and such an injury and expect to play well.

Settle for going out and enjoying it and seeing how the body reacts. If you are ok build it up slowly (maybe a few refresher lessons) and set small targets. Once you get the small flaws that will inevitably be in your swing sorted with a pro you can use the practice ground to sharpen the short game. The ability to chip and putt will hold your scorecard together as your longer game comes back with time and practice.

Good luck next week and let us know how it went. If it all goes Pete Tong try and remain optimistic

steve

Club Champion
Visit site
just remember not so long ago you played off 4 ,alot of the drills five years ago must be the same.Most of all relax and enjoy it ,the old swing will soon come back. good luck! :D

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
You've definitely got to relax, don't try and have 20 different swing thoughts as this will only confuse you and result in you hitting it poorly. If you have been out for a while I would just concentrate on getting a good ball strike, and as your confidence grows start adressing problems such as the ball going left, if that is what's happening.

And don't feel too nervous / worried about going back, I know someone who didn't play for 5 months having been playing to a 15 handicap and he cambe back and shot 9 over on his first round. Most probably becuase he wasn't expecting great things so he relaxed more.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I echo all from above. I wouldnt even worry about drills at all for the first round. Go out, play, see what happens and then address your problems. Just give the range a visit to get the swing back and get an idea of disances. That should be enough to see you right for your first game back.

Maybe a bit of practice putting in the living room too!

Remember its all about havingf fun, dont expect too much.