Cobra One Length Irons

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im so intrigued by the one length irons that have been released in the last few years. I first watched Bryson DeChambeau when he was an amateur and it just totally baffled me that all his clubs were the same length and the grips were huge!

Has anyone tried the One Length set from Cobra and what were your thoughts? Ive seen reviews on youtube but i feel at times they arent honest as they are given the clubs for free.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im so intrigued by the one length irons that have been released in the last few years. I first watched Bryson DeChambeau when he was an amateur and it just totally baffled me that all his clubs were the same length and the grips were huge!

Has anyone tried the One Length set from Cobra and what were your thoughts? Ive seen reviews on youtube but i feel at times they arent honest as they are given the clubs for free.

I've hit them, i loved them but wouldnt buy them. Hard to expand but it was hard to trust hitting 7iron length clubs the distance of a 5iron.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive hit them too
PW and 9 iron go real high, and real long
7 and 8 irons easy to hit and fly miles
5&6 irons about normal type distance, so couldn't get gaps between the 7/8

Heard others say similar , that gapping is an issue

Gap wedge same length shaft as a 7 iron, just seems bizarre and not right at all too

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crossfield did a video on them and he managed to get that gapping. He surprised himself as he didn't expect it. He is a pro though so his ball striking will be very consistent.

I agree with you regarding the length on the "short irons". It would have made more sense to me to have one length clubs from 5-7/8 and then normal sized ones from 9 upwards. It is the longer length that people struggle with.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have ordered the combra max one lengths and when i tested them they were easy to hit. I am not the best with irons and struggle with carry, i carry a 4,5,6 hybrid so i went for 7-sw with the gap wedge. I found i was at least 10 yards longer carry with these than my current set. Still waiting for them to arrive though. I liked the height the wedges were giving me as i could get the ball to stop quicker on the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love to try them. I like the idea of my 5 iron being the length of a 7, but I hate the idea of my PW being the length of a 7. So it would be interesting.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i have ordered the combra max one lengths and when i tested them they were easy to hit. I am not the best with irons and struggle with carry, i carry a 4,5,6 hybrid so i went for 7-sw with the gap wedge. I found i was at least 10 yards longer carry with these than my current set. Still waiting for them to arrive though. I liked the height the wedges were giving me as i could get the ball to stop quicker on the green.

Its really bizarre that you say that youve gone for the one lengths in your situation. I feel confident with anything under a 7 in my hands and i think the shorter the club its easier to make good contact. Im more intrigued about them for the 4,5,6 irons because if it can make them as easy as a 7 to hit they will be successful IMO.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its really bizarre that you say that youve gone for the one lengths in your situation. I feel confident with anything under a 7 in my hands and i think the shorter the club its easier to make good contact. Im more intrigued about them for the 4,5,6 irons because if it can make them as easy as a 7 to hit they will be successful IMO.
i am hopeless with irons below 6, i have a 3,5 w and 4,5,6 hybrids. I love hitting my woods i can hit them straight and a decent distance for me. I think the one lengths will work for my as i tend to have an upright posture and the longer length scoring clubs seemed fine for me.

my swing speed is slow and even the cobra rep said hybrids in the 4,5,6 would be better for me than the one length iron as i would struggle to get decent distance and height with them

Last edited:

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Crossfield did a video on them and he managed to get that gapping. He surprised himself as he didn't expect it. He is a pro though so his ball striking will be very consistent.

I agree with you regarding the length on the "short irons". It would have made more sense to me to have one length clubs from 5-7/8 and then normal sized ones from 9 upwards. It is the longer length that people struggle with.

That would defeat the point though. The idea is one length, one set up, one swing. Nothing changes so consistency improves.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That would defeat the point though. The idea is one length, one set up, one swing. Nothing changes so consistency improves.

That works for Bryson. It doesn't really work if the one swing you have is wonky.

Ive used short irons than were 1 and a half inches over standard. They felt awful.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I understand the concept and point of them. It just messes with your head though. I can get my head around it for the lower lofted clubs as that is the issue. My higher clubs work well so I don't want to touch them.

It would be a good experiment to try them out and really go for it. Do you hit the ball better because you make the same swing? You should do. Expensive mistake if they don't work though.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I understand the concept and point of them. It just messes with your head though. I can get my head around it for the lower lofted clubs as that is the issue. My higher clubs work well so I don't want to touch them.

It would be a good experiment to try them out and really go for it. Do you hit the ball better because you make the same swing? You should do. Expensive mistake if they don't work though.

I think I like the idea. I don't think I'd like them in practice though. Can't buy different wedges or long irons unless they are the one length style too.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oddly enough I went for a fitting today for the Edel Single Length irons. I found it really interesting and it was amazing how easy it was to hit the 3, 4 & 5 irons! Took a bit of getting used to being that close to the ball however once you got your head round it and just swing like a 7 iron it's easy. I had a bash with the SW as well to see what that felt like and it was really odd, suddenly you seem to be a mile away from the ball however I couldn't argue with the results, very easy to hit.

I am now toying with the idea of getting the 3, 4, 5 & 6 (possibly 7 although still pondering) irons of the Edel and leaving the 8 and below as the Callaways. The fitter said a lot of people he'd seen had done that instead of going the whole hog and getting the entire bag done.

He also had a club made up exactly in the specs of Bryson DeChambeau when he used Edel. It was the strangest looking thing I have ever seen, the grip wasn't far off a SuperStroke putter grip although tapered. It was absolutely huge! Apparently this is something to do with his lack of wrist hinge.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Not strictly true. The guy I was fitted with said the majority of those he'd fitted ended up keeping 7/8 and below and just changing those above. He said if you hit your higher lofted irons well then there isn't much reason to change unless you really are in the market for an entire new bag. He didn't have any issues with having a mixed bag.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Where it fell down in my head is the non iron clubs are different lengths, so you are not truly hitting
"The idea is one length, one set up, one swing. Nothing changes so consistency improves."

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oddly enough I went for a fitting today for the Edel Single Length irons. I found it really interesting and it was amazing how easy it was to hit the 3, 4 & 5 irons! Took a bit of getting used to being that close to the ball however once you got your head round it and just swing like a 7 iron it's easy. I had a bash with the SW as well to see what that felt like and it was really odd, suddenly you seem to be a mile away from the ball however I couldn't argue with the results, very easy to hit.

I am now toying with the idea of getting the 3, 4, 5 & 6 (possibly 7 although still pondering) irons of the Edel and leaving the 8 and below as the Callaways. The fitter said a lot of people he'd seen had done that instead of going the whole hog and getting the entire bag done.

He also had a club made up exactly in the specs of Bryson DeChambeau when he used Edel. It was the strangest looking thing I have ever seen, the grip wasn't far off a SuperStroke putter grip although tapered. It was absolutely huge! Apparently this is something to do with his lack of wrist hinge.

Why not just get the edels cut down in the shorter irons to complete the set?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why not just get the edels cut down in the shorter irons to complete the set?

2 reasons.

1) I hit my 8 Iron and below really consistently and so don’t think I’d benefit from getting the Edel’s for 8, 9 & PW.

2) At £225 per iron I’ll save money where I can.....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 reasons.

1) I hit my 8 Iron and below really consistently and so don’t think I’d benefit from getting the Edel’s for 8, 9 & PW.

2) At £225 per iron I’ll save money where I can.....

Oh right right, let me just boil the kettle so I can spit tea over my tablet. :rofl:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I gather the technology in the Edel system is in the shafts from Pedersen. Each head has a specific shaft for it.

Im currently building a set of Wishon Sterling SLC's for a 3 hc. We tried the 8 iron today to make sure that the shaft that was tipped firm is right for him. It felt pretty good, the rest were made up today and we're looking forward to trying the whole set out.