Cobra One Length Irons

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From what I gather the technology in the Edel system is in the shafts from Pedersen. Each head has a specific shaft for it.

Im currently building a set of Wishon Sterling SLC's for a 3 hc. We tried the 8 iron today to make sure that the shaft that was tipped firm is right for him. It felt pretty good, the rest were made up today and we're looking forward to trying the whole set out.

It would be nice if you could get on a monitor to see carry numbers etc for both of you.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be nice if you could get on a monitor to see carry numbers etc for both of you.

He tried his 8 iron out with my ES14 launch monitor. He is a sweeper and a smooth rhythmic tempo of the golf club due to back and neck injuries in the past. So he doesn't hit it that far for a 3hc. He plays more knock down shots then full one but he was around 140 mark, similar to his Pings. But I'd be expecting him after a period of time to be a bit longer once he's used to them.

Today he used the full 5-PW set and he loves them. The PW is longer then he's used to but he hit a lot of controlled knock down wedges and the ball flight wasn't that high. i tried the 5 iron out on a 198yd par 3 and that's about how far I hit my own 5, and although it went right in green side bunker it was pin high, it was probably due to the softer flex then I'm used too, but it has a distinct sound to it like a hybrid ting sound but it didn't bother me or him that much. I also hit the 6 and felt good, but I didn't have a go with the 9 or PW, but I will when I return from my holiday.

It does have me thinking myself and I can see a lot of sense in it and with it being shorter there is a lot more control to be had. When I went to hit my own 5 iron it looked the length of a 2 iron. Overall I'm pleased how they've turned out and he's a happy golfer.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got them after a couple test rounds I got fitted with cobra. Love them... took me a while to get comfortable with the 9 and pw but the long irons are a god send.
I've gone 4-pw with my set. As for distance it's even gapping and each club slightly longer than my old set but I put this down to being fit for them.
One thing i do notice is the 4 and 5 are a lower flight than a normal set and the 9 and pw seem to fly higher.
These are deffinately worth trying if you struggle for consistent strikes like I was.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He tried his 8 iron out with my ES14 launch monitor. He is a sweeper and a smooth rhythmic tempo of the golf club due to back and neck injuries in the past. So he doesn't hit it that far for a 3hc. He plays more knock down shots then full one but he was around 140 mark, similar to his Pings. But I'd be expecting him after a period of time to be a bit longer once he's used to them.

Today he used the full 5-PW set and he loves them. The PW is longer then he's used to but he hit a lot of controlled knock down wedges and the ball flight wasn't that high. i tried the 5 iron out on a 198yd par 3 and that's about how far I hit my own 5, and although it went right in green side bunker it was pin high, it was probably due to the softer flex then I'm used too, but it has a distinct sound to it like a hybrid ting sound but it didn't bother me or him that much. I also hit the 6 and felt good, but I didn't have a go with the 9 or PW, but I will when I return from my holiday.

It does have me thinking myself and I can see a lot of sense in it and with it being shorter there is a lot more control to be had. When I went to hit my own 5 iron it looked the length of a 2 iron. Overall I'm pleased how they've turned out and he's a happy golfer.

Thanks for that. definitely something I would like to try at some stage. Me and anything over a 7 iron have never really been best of friends.

Good luck and let us know how he progresses with them.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
more likely that to do with the loft decrease than the shaft length

Not sure I’d necessarily agree with this. I rarely hit a 4 iron and don’t even have a 3 iron however during my fitting I was hitting them as easily as my higher lofted irons.

They obviously can’t help a poor strike however a shorter shaft makes them easier to hit or at least they were in my case.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've just watched a couple of videos and am really intrigued, I think I'd want to borrow a set for a day/week etc as I really dont think you can be sold on a set like this just from 1 range session.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-blog/hybrid-v-utility-iron-v-long-iron-carry-142562

Interesting article. Perhaps us slower swinging golfers should stop worrying about long irons and just learn to love our hybrids. My lowest iron is a 7 and have always been a bit embarrassed about that and have looked at these one length clubs as a solution. Maybe I should stop and just stick with lofted hybrids, I have 5 and 6 iron equivalents, and be done with it.

Is it ego and macho reasons why we want to keep trying long irons or are we driven to think a set must include them?

D

Deleted member 18121

Went and tested the clubs last night and really liked them. Didnt find the setup an issue at all and found they were forgiving.

AG have given me £176 trade in on my old set and my new shinies will be here soon. Cant wait.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Trouble is, i hate the look of hybrids. I can hit a 3i fine off a tee peg, but off the deck the lack of carry is an issue.

same here. I cant get used to look of hybrids and prefer the look of long irons. hopefully i'll have a Titleist 2 iron in my bag soon