Clubs helping new members to establish themselves

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What does your club do and what would you like to see done?

I’m looking at potentially joining a club again and I’ve had less than helpful answers from everywhere I’ve made enquiries.

The previous club I joined had all competitions drawn randomly and regular members days where groups were made up from similar category golfers.

I’d love to say I’d join somewhere I know people but all my playing partners are nomads like I am. Everyone else has had kids and quit playing or can’t get out for the earache it brings.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What does your club do and what would you like to see done?

I’m looking at potentially joining a club again and I’ve had less than helpful answers from everywhere I’ve made enquiries.

The previous club I joined had all competitions drawn randomly and regular members days where groups were made up from similar category golfers.

I’d love to say I’d join somewhere I know people but all my playing partners are nomads like I am. Everyone else has had kids and quit playing or can’t get out for the earache it brings.

We run a buddy scheme and a long standing member is assigned to a new member for a month to show them the ropes, act as a point of contact and ensure they know who everyone (secretary, pros, steward etc). They introduce them to the roll up groups, make sure they know the process for entering the competitions and help ensure they get their handicap cards arranged. Works very well

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I joined mine as a new member and in all honesty they've put a small amount of effort in.

They have an academy (didn't joint via it) and that has some good structure to it I think. They have organised a number of texas scramble 9 hole comps aimed at new / academy members, guesstimate handicaps being absolutely fine. Roll ups are super easy to get in on, and comps.

Captain did a lot around getting me introduced to people and ensuring that I got some games for handicap cards, but biggest thing and hardest to test without joining is that the members themselves were really open for playing rounds, within two weeks I think I'd arranged games with 5 or 6 groups.

If I was to do it again I might just have gone as a nomad golfer for a year, taking one of those cheap "member but still pay green fee" deals and toured around a bit more.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my new club, you book your time online, so you could pretty much play with the same people every week of you want. This worried me as I thought I might struggle for a game. However, every time I've put my name down, others have joined me, so hasn't been an issue.

Think clubs should have a more standardised induction process though. Seniors tend to do this better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could pretty much copy and paste the post by virtuocit My place is poor. I tried to change the lack of everything via the committee and owner but they were not interested.

As per virtuosity the seniors do it better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have tried meet and greets.

All new members get a large glossy brochure with all necessary info.

At one time the Seniors Chairman introduce new Seniors to our swindle but we had to put an end to it because the swindle became too large.

All new seniors are encouraged to play in our seniors comps as an easy way to get to know existing senior members.

As to non seniors I think it is not good. The way I got to know a lot of members was by simply signing in to as many medals as possible.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been a member of 3 clubs and not had any help from any of them. A lot of golfers seem to like playing with the same people every week which is quite understandable in a way but it doesn’t help new members much. My last club I played in the seniors roll up where when there was 3 people on the tea they went off and then the next 3 ect but there was a lot of hanging around in the car park until their friends arrived or hanging back until certain people’s had teed off.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
People want different things from clubs - generally seniors wants and needs are a little more consistent though.

We have the usual welcome pack, handicap advice and support, roll ups and online competition booking as singles only (you can't book a group in together but obviously you can arrange to book together if it really matters to you!). Online availability and selection for matches etc etc

Basically meeting people isn't a problem if you wish to!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
we have a buddy system which I am a “buddy”.
I’m at the club a lot so I tend to do new members handicaps and run them through booking of comps or matches online, the online chat etc. My numbers on the system and usually the shop will phone me when somebody picks my buddy profile.

When I joined, I just use to book a slot on the computer and somebody would join. It’s easy to get intergrated at our club.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all for the replies. Golf took a back seat thanks to the proverbial hitting the fan at work.

It’s refreshing to hear that clubs do seem to try to get it right somewhere. So far, I’ve contacted 6 local courses and none of them could describe any kind of help they provide. It’s a real shame but being in commuterville it seems they do not feel the need to try.

What worries me is that in 15 years these clubs will have lost their strong45-70 contingent and they won’t be financially viable. You can get a tee time on the weekends without any issues most courses round here unless a competition has the tees blocked out. How they are surviving financially is a tough question to answer.

I don’t think clubs need to spend money to improve this situation. I honestly believe it’s the most cost effective way to improve a clubs turnover. It does l, however, require some effort from management in the clubs to challenge the status quo.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
We have two "Newcomer" comps a year in scramble format, where two new members play together with two oldies, mostly recruited from committee members, team players, captains of the men's, ladies' and senior section etc. It is free to enter, halfway snacks and even a little luncheon provided afterwards. Also there is a weekly round for newbies on Thursday mornings (which is a bit useless for people who have to work, I think it would be better to place that on Saturday afternoons ... our course is literally empty on Saturday afternoons, at least through football season).

For beginning golfers there is also a free 9-hole group playing lesson organized by one of our golf coaches which mostly focuses on rules and etiquette, but also a bit of strategy.

I would like to see a buddy or mentor system established as well, but we don't have that at the moment.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks to all for the replies. Golf took a back seat thanks to the proverbial hitting the fan at work.

It’s refreshing to hear that clubs do seem to try to get it right somewhere. So far, I’ve contacted 6 local courses and none of them could describe any kind of help they provide. It’s a real shame but being in commuterville it seems they do not feel the need to try.

What worries me is that in 15 years these clubs will have lost their strong45-70 contingent and they won’t be financially viable. You can get a tee time on the weekends without any issues most courses round here unless a competition has the tees blocked out. How they are surviving financially is a tough question to answer.

I don’t think clubs need to spend money to improve this situation. I honestly believe it’s the most cost effective way to improve a clubs turnover. It does l, however, require some effort from management in the clubs to challenge the status quo.

Where abouts are you.

We are quite an old fashioned set up (no BRS, receptionist etc), but if you are on your own in the bar you will as like as not be asked if you want a game, there are swindles on Weds, Fri & Sat, a start sheet on a Sunday + the club organises various 9 & dine evenings so really no excuse not to integrate into the club. You can always ask the pro or the club manager/captain to sort a game out for you.

Enter comps its another good way to meet people.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My club has a great Academy setup for beginners, but once you graduate, you are on your own, no roll-ups, no buddy system, and nothing designed to integrate new members. BRS is used for all comps, so most members seem to play with their mates.

As a result, 99% of the time I play with the same couple of guys who came through the academy with me, and I’d be lying if I said I felt fully integrated.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The club can only do so much .
At the end of the day you have to get out there and meet people.

I think the seniors thing is they don’t have their heads down looking at a phone all day.

We have a singles seat in a corner of the bar and if your looking for a game you sit there, somebody always asks you don’t sit there long.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think the seniors thing is they don’t have their heads down looking at a phone all day.

We have a singles seat in a corner of the bar and if your looking for a game you sit there, somebody always asks you don’t sit there long.

This all makes sense, chatting to people on the course in the changing rooms or in the bar is a great way to make friends/PP's

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Agree that there has to be an element of responsibility on a newbie to get involved but sometimes the club can help initiate that and some are simply not that great at social interaction and starting conversations. Has to be in the clubs interests to get a new member, make them welcome and ensure they stay at the club and provide revenue via their subs each year

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel my club does absolutely nothing to integrate me, more interested in there comps and stuff like that I can't even book a tee time without having to phone as they use a computer system that I can't use as I have no hc, the members however are very welcoming but I over a month in and have had to do everything on my own, and in all honesty if I thought it was going to be this way I wouldn't of joined, basiclltly took my money gave me a card and tag and that's it

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I feel my club does absolutely nothing to integrate me, more interested in there comps and stuff like that I can't even book a tee time without having to phone as they use a computer system that I can't use as I have no hc, the members however are very welcoming but I over a month in and have had to do everything on my own, and in all honesty if I thought it was going to be this way I wouldn't of joined, basiclltly took my money gave me a card and tag and that's it

I know this feeling and tbh the majority of the members weren't very welcoming didnt renew went back to being a nomad golfer

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats pretty poor really they should introduce you to some other new members at least.
If I see anyone in the bar on their own I will talk to them .
Played with lots of new lads some are good mates now you just have to put yourself out there sometimes.

The one thing I don’t like is approaching someone who never looks up from their phone.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our ladies section has buddies, and we try to help new members to integrate whether they are beginners or already have handicaps, I played with a new member with a 36 handicap in our weekly comp this week. We also have a rule where you can only play with the same person once a month in the weekly comps.
However from what I have seen our men seems to play with the same people every week so I guess it is harrder for a man to integrate than a woman.