Muirfield - 'Open' to all?

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m lucky enough to be playing Muirfield this week. Excited to play my first Open venue and looking forward to the challenge of what is almost universally considered to be a fantastic course.

In the build-up to this round, I’ve taken an interest the club as well as the course, so steeped in history and fame (or is it infame?). ‘The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers’, as most of you will be aware, owns this exclusive patch of land and exclusive is how they wish to keep it. A multitude of articles are to be found on notable rejections and ejections from the course (perhaps most notably Tom Watson and Ben Crenshaw in 1980) which, coupled with the recent controversy over female membership, gives vindication to one headline that this could be ‘the stuffiest golf club in Britain’.

I’ve also read that Muirfield has modernised. Guests are now welcome and can share the same facilities as members, women CAN now join (though current waiting lists mean several years before this privilege can be exercised) and no longer will an ex-military secretary dress down any guest found to be in breach of… whatever he feels like.

Contrastingly, after a visit to the club website I found myself scrolling through the list visitor rules. Let’s just say I was scrolling for some time. It is clear that while certain concessions have been made by the honourable company to create a more welcoming experience for guests, the desire to maintain exclusivity couldn’t be clearer. For example our visit will be tightly controlled: we are playing probably the only few tee times in the week available to guest wish to play their own ball (rather than alternate shot), we must only arrive 15 mins before the tee time, we are not allowed access to the bar and lounge, we must maintain pace of play…. It goes on… and on.

I will reserve judgement on the golfing experience until after I’ve actually had it, in the mean time I’ll continue to mull over the questions rolling around in my head as to whether this ‘traditional’ style of golf is fantastic/desirable/fun or archaic and at odds with inclusivity and spreading the sport.

I’m sure this topic will divide opinions but interested to hear experiences and views of average golfers like me in situations like this and how you’ve found the experience.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say it is absolutely archaic outdated nonsense and something that most clubs should be trying to get away with.....

However I played it last year in November and it was a fantastic experience and I wouldn't change any of the nonsense (apart from the welcoming ladies etc).... It's almost like entering a time machine and the quirkieness of it I enjoyed- a bit like going on a school trip to a museum where you get to participate.

Plus I thought the course was fantastic

D

Deleted Member 1156

we must only arrive 15 mins before the tee time, we are not allowed access to the bar and lounge

I read through the visitor notes and didn't see any of this, I must have missed it.

When I played there in a party of 12 we were made to feel very welcome and we had full access to the bar, lounge and dining room, obviously wearing J&T!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played there quite a few times and what ever you may think of the club and how they sometimes treat visitors, its still a fantastic course.

playing with a member is totally different experience to just a fee paying visitor from my experience anyway...

Enjoy

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played there a few years ago with some from the forum and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Of all the "men only" clubs I've played I found it by far the most welcoming.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played it as a visitor a few years ago and I found the visitor experience excellent. In comparison to some of the other open venues which are very good I thought the staff etc at Muirfield were top notch and a step above the likes of Royal Birkdale and Royal Lytham and if im honest the only staff to be equally as good or better than Muirfield was Turnberry.

Still one of my favourite places to play golf.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I read through the visitor notes and didn't see any of this, I must have missed it.

When I played there in a party of 12 we were made to feel very welcome and we had full access to the bar, lounge and dining room, obviously wearing J&T!

Yes these are rules for our outing and don't apply to normal guests.

D

Deleted member 21258

I was told by a guy I recently played with at the wisley, that he was invited to play at Muirfeild at the weekend and topped his tee shot on the 1st, he was promptly followed down the 1st fairway by the starter. He then topped is 2nd, thinned his 3rd, at which point the person who invited him to play said you need to start playing or we are walking in. He then apparently holed his 4th from the fairway, at which point he went to turn round to the starter and the starter had already gone.

Don't know if it was true, no reason not to believe him, but made us chuckle.:eek:

Never played there, but jealous of you, hope you have a good day there, enjoy.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Have been several times going back to the 1990s. Plenty of visitors times on the designated days (booked well in advance) They didn't let me wander around the night before to take photos, other than that, was made to feel very welcome.

Jacket and tie for lunch if you want to eat the considerable and absolutely wonderful lunch in the dinning room.... that's their tradition, take it or leave it. I wasn't aware of not being allowed in the bar etc? (the opposite seemed the case) AND goodness gracious "keep up with the pace of play?" ...how dare they! :D

Yep. It's open to all if you pay the fee and have a handicap. Like every other sporting venue, there are fees and some rules.

What have I missed?

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Arrived at Muirfield with 50mph winds making it hard to keep your balance and whipping rain stinging your face (you’ll get a feel for it if you’ve seen the video of the hospitality tent being uprooted and splayed over the fairways at the adjacent Gullane). Spent the first 5 minutes hunkered down behind on of the Portakabins next to the putting green for shelter, shortly to be joined by a 4-ball who had abandoned their attempt to tee off at the 9th.

We soon bit the bullet and headed to the first tee. The shot demanded a drive straight into the teeth of storm hectare with a good 150 carry required to reach the fairway. Duly despatched a fantastic drive strike with a touch too much draw and watched the wind grab this thing and propel it 50 yards left of the fairway and into the deep fescue never to be seen again.

This would prove to be a common theme for the day, as is to be expected in such conditions, though Hectare did afford us opportunities to play some good golf. The best of which included my tee shot on the third, playing 388 yards straight downwind on which I hit my hybrid trying to stay short of bunkers. Hit it straight down the middle and it rolled for an eternity finishing about 40 yards short of the green in the narrow alley between bunkers. Parred 3 of the 4 par 3s with nice shots both into and against the wind and only lost 4 or 5 balls, which I consider a triumph in the conditions.

The course was great and enjoyed the fact that you had to think your way round. Probs 3 or 4 options for almost every shot each with its own merits. Loved the prominence of bunkers around the course even though the wind had emptied many of them of the sand which had drifted like snow on the fairways. Spent a bit more time searching in the fescue for balls than a golfer would ever wish for though what I still can’t get my head around is that I only found 1 ball that wasn’t mine the whole way round??

Didn’t get to experience the clubhouse or members regretfully and the only member of staff I saw was the starter.

Enjoyable though challenging day and would love a crack in more gentle conditions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Arrived at Muirfield with 50mph winds making it hard to keep your balance and whipping rain stinging your face (you’ll get a feel for it if you’ve seen the video of the hospitality tent being uprooted and splayed over the fairways at the adjacent Gullane). Spent the first 5 minutes hunkered down behind on of the Portakabins next to the putting green for shelter, shortly to be joined by a 4-ball who had abandoned their attempt to tee off at the 9th.

We soon bit the bullet and headed to the first tee. The shot demanded a drive straight into the teeth of storm hectare with a good 150 carry required to reach the fairway. Duly despatched a fantastic drive strike with a touch too much draw and watched the wind grab this thing and propel it 50 yards left of the fairway and into the deep fescue never to be seen again.

This would prove to be a common theme for the day, as is to be expected in such conditions, though Hectare did afford us opportunities to play some good golf. The best of which included my tee shot on the third, playing 388 yards straight downwind on which I hit my hybrid trying to stay short of bunkers. Hit it straight down the middle and it rolled for an eternity finishing about 40 yards short of the green in the narrow alley between bunkers. Parred 3 of the 4 par 3s with nice shots both into and against the wind and only lost 4 or 5 balls, which I consider a triumph in the conditions.

The course was great and enjoyed the fact that you had to think your way round. Probs 3 or 4 options for almost every shot each with its own merits. Loved the prominence of bunkers around the course even though the wind had emptied many of them of the sand which had drifted like snow on the fairways. Spent a bit more time searching in the fescue for balls than a golfer would ever wish for though what I still can’t get my head around is that I only found 1 ball that wasn’t mine the whole way round??

Didn’t get to experience the clubhouse or members regretfully and the only member of staff I saw was the starter.

Enjoyable though challenging day and would love a crack in more gentle conditions

glad you enjoyed it, its a super course... and the reason you didn't find any balls is hardly anyone play's there, most of the time its a lunch club according to the couple of members i know.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reminds me of my first time at Royal Porthcawl. It just made me want to play it again but in calmer conditions. Luckily, I have since done so but don't remember as much from that round as I do from the first.

I hope you get the chance to play there again.