Clubs for Junior Golfers

mikevet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 12 year old son plays a pretty good game and has played with a half set of Jaxx clubs since he started 4 years ago. They've done him very well, but he really needs a more decent set now to help his game progress. I don't want to spend a fortune as he is growing quite rapidly, but does anyone have any ideas as to what would be the best way to go please? Ladies' clubs? Cut down gents' clubs? Probably best to take him to our local golf shop and get some advice there ...

Fabregas9200

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Mikevet, Being a 12 year old myself I may have some experience in the area. I am quite tall for my age 5'7 and use full mens clubs. It generally depends on your swing speed. There are kids at my club who are my age and use ladies. For me it was just trial and error. Take out a few mens and ladies and see what he hits best.
Regards
Fab

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started my son ( now 12 ) with a few different junior clubs
Last ones being the Nike Eagle ( silver ) range
After outgrowing them, Ive now stepped him upto ladies clubs, after Pro advice
So that would be my recommendation, only thing is, good 2nd hand Ladies clubs are rare, thin on the ground

Good Luck

joer422

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Mikevet, Being a 12 year old myself I may have some experience in the area. I am quite tall for my age 5'7 and use full mens clubs. It generally depends on your swing speed. There are kids at my club who are my age and use ladies. For me it was just trial and error. Take out a few mens and ladies and see what he hits best.
Regards
Fab

holy jesus you are big 12 year old!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My 11 year old (12 in June) is 5' 4" or more now, and playing with my old full size Cobra clubs.

As with all of us, we each are different, when my lad outgrew is Cobra junior clubs, I asked the pro what the best thing to do was. the suggestion was that if he could hold the club steady at the top of the backswing without it tipping over, bending his arm or causing him to lose balance, then regular clubs were fine. If he couldn't, then to look for a lighter (women's clubs) option.

Best have a word with his/ your pro too though.

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got a ladies set for my lad, just got them off ebay. His teaching pro seems to think they're fine but I think the 5 iron is just about at his limit so I've removed the 3 & 4 iron from his set. Check ebay out always a bargain to be had.