Clubs and courses that have disappeared

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
someones already posted here about it, quite interesting stuff:thup:

why not stick around this forum as well, lots of useful stuff to be gleaned here as well.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good stuff
Amazing how many courses were lost during WW2.
My wifes family own a business next to Royal St Helens at Seaview on the IOW. The layout of the holes and the original clubhouse can still be seen.

Luffness Old is interesting. Seems comittees were arguing as long ago as 1894.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The onset of both World Wars had a devastating affect on many clubs. Courses were taken over for the growing of crops or troop training for the war effort.

I have included a piece on the website about the Royal Isle of Wight club in the England South West section.

Things never change committee wise.

Thanks for the feedback

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is fascinating stuff. I have read a book of the history of a local club an sometimes it is only the determination of a few people, keep clubs going. It was more difficult when land was requisitioned during the wars to recover. Particularly if the potential golfers had died or the area was not well populated.

Well done and keep up the good work.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
This is very interesting stuff, and from what I've been able to read so far it seems a lot of clubs were lost either just after WW1 or in the early 1950s. Particularly interested to find out more about Culverden GC in Tunbridge Wells which would have been just half a mile from my childhood home. I was aware of its existence and people used to say you could still make out some of the features/bunkers in the grounds of the two schools down there - Rose Hill and Bennett Memorial.

Anyway, another one to investigate would be the nine-holer at Shillinglee half an hour or so from Horsham (near Plaistow I think) which I have played and which I believe closed perhaps ten years or so ago. It had some fearsomely tight holes, but was quite pretty as I recall.

Just found this link to a story about its closure...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/archive/2...706.Golf__Shillinglee_Park_fails_to_make_cut/

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was interested to see this one http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/...-morden&catid=51:england-south-east&Itemid=88

There was a 9 hole pitch and putt course in Morden Park which I frequented as a kid but nothing to indicate a full sized course. I tried to google it and there are few random mentions but mainly refer to the pitch and putt. Funny thing is looking at the park there isn't anything that gives a hint of bunkering or even where the holes would have been laid out.