Club memberships

• Thread starter Deleted member 26595
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26595

I’ve been looking at the websites of clubs in my area to see which one I might want to think about joining.

One thing I haven’t found on any of them is how the period of membership works. As in, does it generally run from a particular date (eg 1st Jan - 31st Dec), or does it usually just start and then renew on whatever date you join?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I’ve been looking at the websites of clubs in my area to see which one I might want to think about joining.

One thing I haven’t found on any of them is how the period of membership works. As in, does it generally run from a particular date (eg 1st Jan - 31st Dec), or does it usually just start and then renew on whatever date you join?

It will vary club to club.

Generally, a private members club will have a standard renewal month (ours is April) and if you join midyear you just prorate the first year.

Proprietary clubs (run by an organisation for profit) tend to have rolling 12 month subs from the first of the month you join.

This is my experience anyway

Most will also offer payments split into monthlys if you prefer

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've seen all 3 options in my area, Jan 1st start, April 1st start, any day start. Most tend to be April 1st.

A little later in the year a number of clubs will offer deals so that you gst 15 months for the price of 12, ie you effectively get free membership from Jan to March.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
April 1st to end of March the year after here.

Have an option to pay via direct debit for an extra £5 a year or so, so assume you can join halfway through and pro rata it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
April 1st to March 31st where I play and a pro rata amount for joining during that year.

Monthly Direct Debit is offered but it is a Credit agreement with a finance company and not the club, which must be fulfilled for the whole amount.

D

Deleted member 26595

April 1st to end of March the year after here.

Have an option to pay via direct debit for an extra £5 a year or so, so assume you can join halfway through and pro rata it

Cheers Oldham92... as it happens, Oldham is one of the clubs I’m considering!

D

Deleted member 26595

April 1st to March 31st where I play and a pro rata amount for joining during that year.

Monthly Direct Debit is offered but it is a Credit agreement with a finance company and not the club, which must be fulfilled for the whole amount.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Cheers Oldham92... as it happens, Oldham is one of the clubs I’m considering!

I'm at North Manchester in Middleton. Never played Oldham. Looked at it when I was looking for somewhere to join but they weren't very helpful when I contacted them. Was looking for information and basically got told just turn up.

D

Deleted member 26595

I'm at North Manchester in Middleton. Never played Oldham. Looked at it when I was looking for somewhere to join but they weren't very helpful when I contacted them. Was looking for information and basically got told just turn up.

North Manchester is also on my list. It’s actually the course closest to me.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Crompton & Royton renews in April now. Plenty of payment options at no extra cost, monthly direct debit for instance. I joined last year on the winter deal, enjoyed the membership so worth considering if nearby. I would imagine another winter deal will come up in the coming couple of months. If you fancy a few holes and an informal look around let me know, happy to oblige!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many clubs had problems with chasing members who 'left' and stopped paying the monthly direct direct. The complexities and cost of legal action was a deterrent to clubs trying to chase their money.
Handing over the responsibility to a finance company takes the problem away. Further, the club's cashflow is improved as they get the full subscription up front.

D

Deleted member 26595

Crompton & Royton renews in April now. Plenty of payment options at no extra cost, monthly direct debit for instance. I joined last year on the winter deal, enjoyed the membership so worth considering if nearby. I would imagine another winter deal will come up in the coming couple of months. If you fancy a few holes and an informal look around let me know, happy to oblige!
If you want, give me a shout and can play a round 👍

Thanks guys, that’s really appreciated...given I just played my first ever 9 par 3s and lost count of my strokes at the second hole (north of 20 trying to get out of a bunker...) whilst I’d love to take you up on that, I think a bit more practice is in order :)

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks guys, that’s really appreciated...given I just played my first ever 9 par 3s and lost count of my strokes at the second hole (north of 20 trying to get out of a bunker...) whilst I’d love to take you up on that, I think a bit more practice is in order :)

If you don't mind driving, there's an ok little par 3 course at Styal golf club near the airport. I used that a couple of times when I first started. Or I believe there's a par 3 in Rochdale

D

Deleted member 26595

I wasn’t aware of the par 3 in Styal, so I might give it a visit, thanks.
Castle Hawk also has an 18 hole par 3, and apparently the Heaton Park pitch and put is still operational!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many clubs had problems with chasing members who 'left' and stopped paying the monthly direct direct. The complexities and cost of legal action was a deterrent to clubs trying to chase their money.
Handing over the responsibility to a finance company takes the problem away. Further, the club's cashflow is improved as they get the full subscription up front.
We can only pay by DD if paying in advance, the cash is always yours and you can take it back anytime, also if you decide to leave.
You can pay any amount you want in advance , saves shelling out a large lump sum when fees are due.

sunshine

Visit site
We can only pay by DD if paying in advance, the cash is always yours and you can take it back anytime, also if you decide to leave.
You can pay any amount you want in advance , saves shelling out a large lump sum when fees are due.

Why would anyone choose to pay in advance instead of when fees are due? Is there a cost saving?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really notice the 40 or 50 quid a month going out of my account every month, but i would notice when i have to pay a large lump sum all at once.
Saves the temptation of me or the misses spending it.