Club gaps

Garcy27

Visit site
Just wondered if someone could point me in the direction why my gapping between clubs become bigger once I get below a 7 iron?

Tend to hit my 5 iron 190, 6 180 7 170 then 9 150 9 130 pw 110

Any ideas as should be a consistent gaps?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know how good you are but generally anyone outside elite capabilities will see a compression of their gapping over the longer clubs....in the extreme this will result in them being able to (consistently) hit lesser clubs further! Ie their 5 wood goes further than their driver etc

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just wondered if someone could point me in the direction why my gapping between clubs become bigger once I get below a 7 iron?

Tend to hit my 5 iron 190, 6 180 7 170 then 9 150 9 130 pw 110

Any ideas as should be a consistent gaps?

welcome along

what make model irons you use ? they bought new with fitting or are they pre-owned buys ? what shafts in them ?
had the lofts checked out recently ?

what are the above #'s referencing to - overall distance / carry ? & how what those distances measured with ? - if they the average #'s over how many balls hit with each club ?

Garcy27

Visit site
welcome along

what make model irons you use ? they bought new with fitting or are they pre-owned buys ? what shafts in them ?
had the lofts checked out recently ?

what are the above #'s referencing to - overall distance / carry ? & how what those distances measured with ? - if they the average #'s over how many balls hit with each club ?

Thanks to all the responses

on this specifically, I use Cobra king f7. I was fitted for them about 2 months ago. It’s overall distance that I’ve quoted, and that’s just from being in the range/course.

shafts are regular as I have an overswing. The distance is a good golf shot

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all the responses

on this specifically, I use Cobra king f7. I was fitted for them about 2 months ago. It’s overall distance that I’ve quoted, and that’s just from being in the range/course.

shafts are regular as I have an overswing. The distance is a good golf shot

overswing or not - that's not really anything to do with shaft flex tbh

but are they the 'normal' shaft lengths king f7's - {or are these the single length shaft versions so all shafts 7i length?}

the king f7 'normal' irons also have progressively tad longer shafts in the longer irons & the clubhead geared to both distance & forgiveness

those #'s stated being the overall distances - thought that maybes was the case

the numbers you really need to know through the irons in the bag are the 'carry distances' for each
- as the 'run out' to overall distances after carry will vary due to nature of ground conditions

one reason possibly playing into the disparity in the gaps that you list could also be what type of trajectory (& curvature shape) you tend to hit as a norm - say like if the height is trending to be on the low side

as a generality forged clubs with more standard lofts give more tight gap distances through the bag at around between 10' or 12' gaps

clubs with the kind head construction like the king f7's so cg moved to compensate for lower lofts & with the thiner face and weight set more around the sides & sole through the set the distance control of the gaps through the set can often times be a tad more erratic
though exactly how you strike the ball so your particular launch conditions will be largely responsible for the gaps

best ways to really find out some accurate 'gapping #'s' would be to get a session on a launch monitor so you can then see accurately what the carry distances are - along with the launch angles - spin rate - peak height etc then you can see exactly why you are getting the numbers you are
even better if you can tie this up with having a lesson review with pga pro to then explain how all these numbers relate - & what you might need to think about to get some more 'regular distance carry gaps' through the set

Garcy27

Visit site
overswing or not - that's not really anything to do with shaft flex tbh

but are they the 'normal' shaft lengths king f7's - {or are these the single length shaft versions so all shafts 7i length?}

the king f7 'normal' irons also have progressively tad longer shafts in the longer irons & the clubhead geared to both distance & forgiveness

those #'s stated being the overall distances - thought that maybes was the case

the numbers you really need to know through the irons in the bag are the 'carry distances' for each
- as the 'run out' to overall distances after carry will vary due to nature of ground conditions

one reason possibly playing into the disparity in the gaps that you list could also be what type of trajectory (& curvature shape) you tend to hit as a norm - say like if the height is trending to be on the low side

as a generality forged clubs with more standard lofts give more tight gap distances through the bag at around between 10' or 12' gaps

clubs with the kind head construction like the king f7's so cg moved to compensate for lower lofts & with the thiner face and weight set more around the sides & sole through the set the distance control of the gaps through the set can often times be a tad more erratic
though exactly how you strike the ball so your particular launch conditions will be largely responsible for the gaps

best ways to really find out some accurate 'gapping #'s' would be to get a session on a launch monitor so you can then see accurately what the carry distances are - along with the launch angles - spin rate - peak height etc then you can see exactly why you are getting the numbers you are
even better if you can tie this up with having a lesson review with pga pro to then explain how all these numbers relate - & what you might need to think about to get some more 'regular distance carry gaps' through the set

Thanks that’s really insightful. My balls has a low flight I’d say, and gets a lot of run out. I carry 150ish with 7 iron.

Guess ill get a session with the tracker see how I go. Thanks for the reply top notch