Club fitting cost explanation/breakdown.

BigBertie84

Visit site
Hi folks,

So I'm still relatively new to the game but am pretty sure it's something I want to stick with and have been enquiring about fitted golf clubs, specifically irons at this time. However, I have been struggling to find any indication of a total breakdown of costs.

What I do know is this, the irons I want to get fitted are £599 and the fitting is £60 (deducted on purchase) however I imagine there are a lot of other costs involved. For instance do different steel shafts cost different amounts? (I'm ignoring graphite as I never feel comfortable with it), do different shaft flexes or lengths add cost? Is there different prices for more upright club heads? Is there additional costs involved that you only discover when getting fitted?

It just all seems rather vague and information seems scarce. I don't mind investing in something which I will use and enjoy but I hate walking into things blind.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi folks,

So I'm still relatively new to the game but am pretty sure it's something I want to stick with and have been enquiring about fitted golf clubs, specifically irons at this time. However, I have been struggling to find any indication of a total breakdown of costs.

What I do know is this, the irons I want to get fitted are £599 and the fitting is £60 (deducted on purchase) however I imagine there are a lot of other costs involved. For instance do different steel shafts cost different amounts? (I'm ignoring graphite as I never feel comfortable with it), do different shaft flexes or lengths add cost? Is there different prices for more upright club heads? Is there additional costs involved that you only discover when getting fitted?

It just all seems rather vague and information seems scarce. I don't mind investing in something which I will use and enjoy but I hate walking into things blind.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome along. There are loads of threads on here about custom fitting so you'll find opinion is divided. If you want to go down that road, and I for one love the process, then you should find that if you are opting for steel shafts, there should be a decent number in different flex (stiff, regular) and weights that should be fairly standard and so shouldn't incur any additional charge. Depending on where you are getting fitted, there may be fancier, more exotic options out there for you but these would definitely incur extra charges. Do you have one specific make and model you want to be fitted for or will the fitter and location give yo a chance to try other manufacturers and different head/shafts. With regards upright heads, there shouldn't be any charge and they should be able to either order these in the correct lie, or change them within certain tolerances

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If you can, I'd suggest going direct to the club makers for a fitting and then you can place your order where you like. I found Callaway very good at Leatherhead.

BigBertie84

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'm currently thinking either Steelhead Xr or Taylormade M2 irons. I've swung with both and don't mind either. If anything I'd be more inclined towards the Steelhead XR due to the fact it looks less chunky to me.

The fitter is an independent academy so I'm not sure what shafts they'll have or how exotic they would be. They are also obviously not tied to selling on brand of club.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have srixons, and they have a huge range of shafts available at no extra upcharge.

If you know the clubs you want, go direct to the manufacturer. If you are totally open about which clubs to go for....head to Srixon :p!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'm currently thinking either Steelhead Xr or Taylormade M2 irons. I've swung with both and don't mind either. If anything I'd be more inclined towards the Steelhead XR due to the fact it looks less chunky to me.

The fitter is an independent academy so I'm not sure what shafts they'll have or how exotic they would be. They are also obviously not tied to selling on brand of club.

As an independent they should certainly have the familiar names which should give you enough choice in terms of flex, kick point etc without needing anything exotic.