beginner clubs fitting and angles

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Hi all,
So at risk of being shot, I have to ask this…

I am a beginner that has been practicing and playing 2 to 3 times a week for the last 5 months with a couple of lessons.

I have a box set of clubs that have got me started and I posted about changing these now as I believe they are not helping me now…..

When I went for a fitting I had the typical Ping chart static measurement of 2 degrees up. I hit some balls and found the cobra F9’s were the nicest for me to hit over Pings offering.

I hit a lie board with the F9’s and it showed still striking a small amount on the toe HOWEVER that was just one swing and not the greatest one either and even though I am a beginner I do believe the club lie should be in the correct realms at least, even though the argument of the lie angle may change when I improve could be levied, however if it isn’t in the right area to start with I cant help but think I will keep trying to adapt my swing to compensate…..

Add to this lie angles of club manufacturers are different it makes it a mare for the beginner to try to pick the correct clubs….
I also believe the lie board didn’t feel right to swing into as the club bounced slightly pre impact…..

SO, I have read and agree the marker pen on the ball method would be a good way to obtain this but here is my dilemma, the box set I have (Wilson Stretch XLS) gives me no indication of there angles so even if I use a marker pen and find my club head is hitting or my heel is hitting how on earth can I work out what a different manufacturers club lie angle would be against my box set…..

I do appreciate some will say why on earth is a beginner worried about this but let me say I am only trying to make sure I have a club that FITS me and my current swing that I can practice with in the knowledge I am in the correct ball park for fit with my clubs……

Any advice would be greatly received,,, 😊

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Probably not what you want to hear but unless you're way outside of average height/build I wouldn't worry about it.

I collect old clubs and have quite a few sets, I play a different set each week and don't find that I need to adjust my swing to fit the clubs, apart from the very short or light clubs.

To put that in perspective, the clubs date from the 1940s to the 1980s (and I also play maybe a dozen or so rounds a year with hickory clubs) including the odd ladies club. None of them were fitted for me.

And it's not just the irons I change but the woods and putter too. Custom fit has its merits but I think it's blown out of all proportion for the average club golfer.

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
appreciate this Crow, and tbh honest I do want to hear opinions like this,,,,,
It helps beginners like me a lot, I will say part of what you said (very short or light clubs) rings true for me, the clubs I have are cheap graphite shaft very flimsy and very light compared to clubs I tried in the fitting.

This is probably one of the main reasons I want to change as I just don't believe my swing will develop into a ok one when the clubs just are so wrong for me.....

Its just with that in mind I don't want to end up with ill fitting ones that make the problem worse lol....

Good advice though and has made me think I should go with standard that can be adjusted down the line for lie angle.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
appreciate this Crow, and tbh honest I do want to hear opinions like this,,,,,
It helps beginners like me a lot, I will say part of what you said (very short or light clubs) rings true for me, the clubs I have are cheap graphite shaft very flimsy and very light compared to clubs I tried in the fitting.

This is probably one of the main reasons I want to change as I just don't believe my swing will develop into a ok one when the clubs just are so wrong for me.....

Its just with that in mind I don't want to end up with ill fitting ones that make the problem worse lol....

Good advice though and has made me think I should go with standard that can be adjusted down the line for lie angle.....
Sounds like it is the shaft being too light/whippy thats the bigger issue rather than the lie angle. For most golfers, a "standard" set off the shelf would be suitable as a starting point. Once you have more lessons and feel you have a swing that is mostly repeatable then you can look at the options from there. Speak to the pro you're having lessons with as I'm sure he'll be able to measure and advise. The only caveat I would add is most boxed sets aren't great in terms of build quality and so getting them adjusted by a club pro/fitter may actually damage them. I would definitely look at the shaft and work back from there

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Thanks Homer, and yes, the box set I have was no more and no less to just get me playing, £189 for everything bag/clubs etc etc - the bags fine so im happy to shelf the clubs forever (wouldnt even consider having them re-shafted).

So, IF I purchased new clubs, take Ping for instance, would you go for totally bog standard clubs as they are off the shelf OR go by there fitting STATIC fitting chart, ie green dot for me 2 degrees up)…… that's probably the question I have to answer.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks Homer, and yes, the box set I have was no more and no less to just get me playing, £189 for everything bag/clubs etc etc - the bags fine so im happy to shelf the clubs forever (wouldnt even consider having them re-shafted).

So, IF I purchased new clubs, take Ping for instance, would you go for totally bog standard clubs as they are off the shelf OR go by there fitting STATIC fitting chart, ie green dot for me 2 degrees up)…… that's probably the question I have to answer.....
I have been fitted for several sets including Ping (and came out green dot) and bought my last set off Golfbidder which were blue dot and were bought untried. Didn't see any difference really in lie and didn't have to change my swing. I think blue dot is now Ping's new default so they may be a tad closer to the green dot (can't remember which way the chart goes). Unless you are short (under 5 foot 8) or tall (over 6 feet) then I think most off the shelf sets would suffice certainly to be going on with. As your swing improves and hopefully the handicap starts coming down then perhaps a fitting session is the way forward from there. I think if you send the clubs back to Ping they can move something like +/- 3 degrees (depending on the age and condition)

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Well I am on a u-turn now lol.... Golfbidder have a set of Ping G5 stiff flex blue dot (1 degree up) 3 to 9 for £162 - this maybe worth doing just to see how I get on with them..... worst case is I at least get to see my rough swing stats
thoughts ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well I am on a u-turn now lol.... Golfbidder have a set of Ping G5 stiff flex blue dot (1 degree up) 3 to 9 for £162 - this maybe worth doing just to see how I get on with them..... worst case is I at least get to see my rough swing stats
thoughts ?
Do you have a PW and a SW you can use (or look at the wedge section of Golfbidder). They do offer a 7 day returns policy (check the website) so in theory you can check numbers and try them and then return them

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Do you have a PW and a SW you can use (or look at the wedge section of Golfbidder). They do offer a 7 day returns policy (check the website) so in theory you can check numbers and try them and then return them

Yes, I can use my old ones for PW / SW and look to replace them, and I do like the thought I can return within 7 days if I don't like them....

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
How far do you hit a 7 iron?

with my old clubs my lesson showed 155-164 yards and the cobra f9's I tried 160 to 169 and they said club speed was 89-91mph

however my thats only if i hit it rearly nicely, most of the time 150-155 is fairly easy BUT my dispersion is very very hit and miss.....

to add, this is off a range matt/balls so presume less in real play ,,,,,

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
It's a big jump from lightweight soft graphite to stiff steel shafts.
Tread carefully

This is why I posted here, as a beginner I am learning this stuff, all I can go by is what the fitter said and the guy I had lessons with, I hit stiff flex steel shaft in the f9's and G410's and for me with limited knowledge felt they felt better
albeit the G410's on a few occasions did hook slightly on a couple of shots.... tbh I wanted regular shafts in my head before going along.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say stiff would probably suit your swing speed. It may help you to know that Ping can alter second hand clubs a few degrees to suit you if they're not spot on and it used to be free

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Thanks bobmac,
I think based on advice here, I would be better off buying some old Ping G (5/10/15s etc etc) in standard / blue or green dot and progress from there...
At least using them (based on approx fitment guide from ping 1 or 2 degrees out) it will show me when i'm more consistent ROUGHLY what my swing dictates I need for a club fit as I will have a guide from known clubs to work from instead of a box set that I have no idea of the angles etc etc are....

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
lol, couldn't help myself, went on the ping fitting website Pingnflight and entered all my details accurately and came back with
colour code white (3 degrees up)
+0.5" length
white grip

I presume over the years things have changed that old white ping G5s angles/lies aren't the same as todays current offerings.... more confusing than Brexit this lol - may pass my own bill of take up croquet :)

may just try some old G5's in this spec if i can find them or near to this....although i can see a longer shaft helping me much....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
lol, couldn't help myself, went on the ping fitting website Pingnflight and entered all my details accurately and came back with
colour code white (3 degrees up)
+0.5" length
white grip

I presume over the years things have changed that old white ping G5s angles/lies aren't the same as todays current offerings.... more confusing than Brexit this lol - may pass my own bill of take up croquet :)

may just try some old G5's in this spec if i can find them or near to this....although i can see a longer shaft helping me much....
Ping definitely changed their colour chart a few years ago, unfortunately. So when looking at older Pings as you are, there's a good chance they don't line up with the current colour chart. Maybe try Googling the old Ping colour chart.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The static fit with your own clubs is to push a two pence piece under the toe of the club if there is no gap in the first place then they are too flat. Leading edge of the 2p should just about get to where the grooves on the club are for a good fit.

Just because you are a beginner does not mean you should not have stiff flex shafts. It could be that the shaft is flexing inwards in the swing which brings the toe down.