Club Emblemed Gear?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one sleeveless sweater and that is all. Partly as the club gear is expensive and partly because it is only in club colours, navy sweaters and white shirts

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The company I work for has their own logo'd Glenmuir golf gear (a large German engine manufacturer), and it's cheaper than the gear in the club. At the staff discount, a logo'd Glenmuir sweater is £47, a pullover £32, a windshirt £43, and a shirt £30. They're probably making a little bit of profit, but £70 for a club sweater is extortionate! I'd be half-tempted with the corporate gear, but I don't want to look like I'm sponsored, then look like a fool on the first tee :D

Luckily there's a designer outlet near me, where at the right time, you can get Ralph Lauren and Lacoste gear for an absolute steal. In March, they had a 4 for £100 offer on Ralph Lauren polos, and chinos for £25 too. Wear it on the course or on a night out, it still looks good :D

I wanted a slipover a few years ago, so I went on eBay, and somebody was selling golf sweaters, where you picked your size, and he sent you a random colour and logo. I expected a Nike or PING, but I got a grey Glenmuir with a Stockport GC logo :D

I've got nothing against club gear, but it winds me up a bit when private member's clubs are charging £70 for a sweater, which only members will wear, and they're paying £800 a year for the privilege of it too. It just seems like clubs and their shops are a bit greedy. If it's reasonably priced, and good quality, then fair enough, I'd buy the odd bit, but the polos and caps were Fruit of the Loom or Gildan, so could be made and embroidered for about £15, then sold on for £35.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be more inclined to pay £70 for Glenmuir than £35 for Fruit of the Loom or Gildan. £20 mark up is probably not much more than the club are putting on the Glenmuirs.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When did an unfashionable body warmer become a trendy gillet? :D

I think to some extent, a bodywarmer or gilet can look quite good. If it's made by Regatta or Craghoppers, then forget it. Fleeces should be banned out of bad taste. The Wolsey or Ralph Lauren ones look quite tidy, but the wearer must be slim. Gilets are a fashion risk in my opinion :D. On the topic of bad taste, baggy jumpers are my pet hate. Ones than make someone look 2 stone heavier than the really are :mad:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think to some extent, a bodywarmer or gilet can look quite good. If it's made by Regatta or Craghoppers, then forget it. Fleeces should be banned out of bad taste. The Wolsey or Ralph Lauren ones look quite tidy, but the wearer must be slim. Gilets are a fashion risk in my opinion :D. On the topic of bad taste, baggy jumpers are my pet hate. Ones than make someone look 2 stone heavier than the really are :mad:

Ive a couple of OJ body warmer or Gillets as you call them. Both look very smart.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a few bits from my club but mainly when they go on sale. Got a glenmuir shirt that was £20, and also a Glenmuir jumper that I got with a shirt, dwyers trousers, glove and cap all for £70.

Also got a couple of Cutter & Buck club logo'd shirts that were on offer at 2 for £40.

It's all very good quality and I like wearing at away clubs as I'm proud to show where I'm a member.