Club Altertations

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere handy for west/central Scotland where I can get some driver shafts shortened?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed.

I'm going to speak to my pro tonight about lopping a bit off of mine.

Be careful how far you go. I had mine shortened to 44" (playing length) and it feels like a toy. Weird really because it's still longer than my fairway wood. I guess it's the massive head makes it look funny.

Still, had some pleasure shopping for a new one (yes I know it can be lengthened again :))

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah a local pro did mine so just check the courses near you

(down to 43.75 and never hit it better, i.e control of shot rather than distance)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Be careful how far you go. I had mine shortened to 44" (playing length) and it feels like a toy. Weird really because it's still longer than my fairway wood. I guess it's the massive head makes it look funny.

Still, had some pleasure shopping for a new one (yes I know it can be lengthened again :))

Well, when you take in to account the next longest club in my bag is my 4 wood at 42.5" I have a little room to move when it comes to shaft length (... As I don't carry a 3 wood)

I was originally considering 44" Gary and was looking at a like-for-like shaft on eBay and lopping an inch off the end.

Do you still have the shaft you cut down Gary :whistle:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry guys but my club pro doesn't do this and so I'm looking for specific recommendations for my locale (central Scotland).

Can anyone help?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can he put a grip on?

If so - and you know how much you want to remove - why not do the cutting yourself? Perhaps borrow a plumber's delicate hacksaw.

Just make sure that there's sufficient support around the area to be sawn that the graphite (presumably) doesn't split (unusual, but possible). May not even need a vice.

Then on with a slightly lighter grip and Robert's your Mam's Bro'! Change of balance may not even be noticeable! There are some charts for adjustments if you really want to, but feel is normally the best way - using lead tape around bottom of shaft or on hosel or sole being simplest method.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, when you take in to account the next longest club in my bag is my 4 wood at 42.5" I have a little room to move when it comes to shaft length (... As I don't carry a 3 wood)

I was originally considering 44" Gary and was looking at a like-for-like shaft on eBay and lopping an inch off the end.

Do you still have the shaft you cut down Gary :whistle:

My next longest is 4 wood too, and I also had that cut down to 42.25" as I didn't want it to be too close to my driver in length.
It might just take some getting used to. It's not the shortened shaft that looks odd, just the 460cc head on the end of it.

I've still got the old one, and I'm still going to use it (when it doesn't matter) to see if it helps with accuracy. I can live with losing 5 yards if I hit more than 5 fairways per round!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Then on with a slightly lighter grip and Robert's your Mam's Bro'! Change of balance may not even be noticeable! There are some charts for adjustments if you really want to, but feel is normally the best way - using lead tape around bottom of shaft or on hosel or sole being simplest method.

I'd not even thought of this.

Can you point me to these charts you mentioned please?

So I can either try a lighter grip, or add weight to the head?

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Be careful simply shortening an inch as a reduction in shaft length has a significant impact on swingweight. For every half inch you shorten, you lose 3 swingweight points... whereas you need to add 2g of head weight (lead tape, for example) to get back a single swingweight point.

As as for shortening, your pro may be able to pull the grip and save it. Personally, I manage to save around 80% of the grips I pull, but some I fail to salvage. At that point, the graphite shaft can be shorted using a dremel tool or hacksaw, but wrap masking tape around the shaft first to prevent any splintering. Then the grip, or a new grip, can be popped back on. :)

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I didn't include swingweight changes for shaft weight as the OP is considering cutting down his existing shaft. However, for completeness, 9g of shaft weight is worth 1 swingweight point.

All info I've provided above is rule of tumb, but will be as accurate as you need. The table referenced above is also rule of thumb as it doesn't, for example, account for weight distribution along the length of the golf shaft. Again, though, I expect it will be as accurate as you need.

Good luck. :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here are the charts.

http://www.golf-components.com/swing-weight-chart-woods.html

Slightly different to mab's numbers, depending on shaft weight, but mab's numbers are the 'rule of thumb'.

Forgot the Dremmel. Magic tool!

Thanks.

This is where I'm at...
The original shaft was 58g and played 45.5". The original grip was 54g. It's been cut down to play 44" and I've ordered a new grip which weighs 25g.

From what I've just read, it won't take it back to the original swingweight but about 2/3rds of the way there. I played with it as is yesterday and it went pretty well, just felt a bit <can't think of a good word>.

One more question. TM states the butt diameter of the shaft as .62". Does it taper straight away or is it constant for a little bit? I'm just trying to work out if the 0.6 grip I've ordered will feel standard. Thanks.