Close House or Slaley Hall

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
He never mentioned budget or geography to that matter.....
I do say on one post not to expensive, and my initial question obviously mentions that the deals I was looking at where £99. So gives an idea of price range really. Yes I’d love to play Turnberry etc but out of my price range. Although I’ve played the Ailsa for £55 6 years ago in October.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wonder when someone will suggest going to Spain or Portugal!!

Not played Close House but really enjoyed both courses at Slaley when we played it, lovely hotel too. If you get either for £99 it'll be a bargain.

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Wonder when someone will suggest going to Spain or Portugal!!

Not played Close House but really enjoyed both courses at Slaley when we played it, lovely hotel too. If you get either for £99 it'll be a bargain.
Lol yes I was wondering that. Think I edging towards Close House

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played them all. Slaley Hunting course is good but very hard & can be wet. The Slaley Priestman is easier with great views, can be wet too. Close House Colt I hate. That's a personal opinion but it's very hard, very hilly & I wouldn't want to play it again. The Close House Filly is a lovely course. Thoughtfully bunkered, short, but not too short & I played it last year after a lot of heavy rain & it was remarkably dry. The Filly would be my choice.
Bill how far away is Goswick GC from Close House, remember we got a great deal there and the course was in great nick around April time i think :confused:

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve played both courses at both venues
I’ve stayed at slaley but I haven’t stayed at close house
Personally I would pick slaley for the golf I like both courses up there.
close houses filly course is a bit short for my liking not a easy courses as the greens are small with some big breaks on them. Colt courses played it once for free and it’s a average course in my eyes. No stand out hole
Slaley both good layouts. Couple holes on back 9 at hunting are a bit up and down but it’s still worth a game. Might be a bit wet depending on the winter but I would go for slaley

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Other ones I’ve seen are Rockcliffe Hall and Fairmont St Andrews playing the Kittocks and Torrance

Purely for the golf course, I'd choose Rockcliffe hall over close house, having played both.
I just prefer the Rockcliffe layout, but play Yellows, any other tees a real slog.

There's also spa facilities, top restaurant, incase taking a partner too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Other ones I’ve seen are Rockcliffe Hall and Fairmont St Andrews playing the Kittocks and Torrance
This is all about opinions isn't it? Rockcliffe Hall is beautifully kept, as is Close House, has a modern clubhouse where you feel relaxed and welcome, as does Close House, the hotel rooms are high quality, really lovely, can't comment on CH but I expect they are as well, but for me Rockcliffe is bland as a golf course. There are no features to it, no memorable moments and it is a long old slog. I don't know many people with a lot of love with Rockcliffe, obviously Moogie does :). Only one course there as well.

I've had a look on YGT and for me, in this region, based on the time of year you are going in particular, Close House stands out a mile. There are other good places on their site, Matfen Hall, Linden Hall, Slaley Hall etc but Close House is the only top 100 course out of those, it is where the British Masters was held, it will have another tournament there next July/August, it will cope with any wet weather the best out of those, you get 2 courses in one place. Don't over analyse, just book it and look forward to it :D

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is all about opinions isn't it? Rockcliffe Hall is beautifully kept, as is Close House, has a modern clubhouse where you feel relaxed and welcome, as does Close House, the hotel rooms are high quality, really lovely, can't comment on CH but I expect they are as well, but for me Rockcliffe is bland as a golf course. There are no features to it, no memorable moments and it is a long old slog. I don't know many people with a lot of love with Rockcliffe, obviously Moogie does :). Only one course there as well.

I've had a look on YGT and for me, in this region, based on the time of year you are going in particular, Close House stands out a mile. There are other good places on their site, Matfen Hall, Linden Hall, Slaley Hall etc but Close House is the only top 100 course out of those, it is where the British Masters was held, it will have another tournament there next July/August, it will cope with any wet weather the best out of those, you get 2 courses in one place. Don't over analyse, just book it and look forward to it :D

Yes, agree. If you can stay at either for £99 plus 2 rounds and breakfast then get on it and enjoy it whatever the weather.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, agree. If you can stay at either for £99 plus 2 rounds and breakfast then get on it and enjoy it whatever the weather.
It is a heck of a bargain isn't it? I know locals who have booked that as it is such a great deal (I know it is not always £99, it can be from £99 but the increase is not large still)

D

Deleted member 21258

I couldn't believe that it is £99 for 2 rounds of golf & accom, had to go look myself (given what the green fees rates are like in summer).

Much to my surprise it was better than that :eek:, it includes breakfast sandwich and 2 course dinner and a round on both courses rather than 2 on the filly. Amazing price:eek:

Do both courses always stay open or do they closed one of them on a regular basis (ie. do you end up playing the same course twice normally) ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn't believe that it is £99 for 2 rounds of golf & accom, had to go look myself (given what the green fees rates are like in summer).

Much to my surprise it was better than that :eek:, it includes breakfast sandwich and 2 course dinner and a round on both courses rather than 2 on the filly. Amazing price:eek:

Do both courses always stay open or do they closed one of them on a regular basis (ie. do you end up playing the same course twice normally) ?
Both stay open. They don't close one in winter or merge holes etc, they remain as two separate courses all year around.

You look for the catch, it is natural, but there isn't one. They just want people using the facility, spending money, during the quiet spells.