Close House condition

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi due to go to Close House in just under 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone knew what condition it’s in after all the terrible weather in February?

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Phil, realise you may already have been here but I played the Colt course yesterday.

All main tee boxes were in play, although some had been moved forward.
Greens were all in play but full of sand and they've been hollow tined. Pretty pointless putting on them to be honest.
The course is VERY wet in parts, particularly in the run off areas around the greens.

Hope this helps.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Are only 1% of courses links courses? My course is in great condition and has been all winter. 50mph winds must be great at drying the course.

Ok Mr pedantic.

However I also.play links and our course is wet in places with several bunkers full of water. Water table is highest it's been since 2011 according to our greenkeeper and water is no longer draining until the water table drops off.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok Mr pedantic.

However I also.play links and our course is wet in places with several bunkers full of water. Water table is highest it's been since 2011 according to our greenkeeper and water is no longer draining until the water table drops off.
I'd have thought they'd be pumping the water out to a main drain, our main course is free from any lying water but they did use pumps to aid the process

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok Mr pedantic.

on our weekley club email, they said the new bunkers that are full of water had been pumped out but due to the high water table many had filled again.
if you walked around the course its bone dry, but underground its not obviously, Nairn is a very well drained course on sand and even that is saturated.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
on our weekley club email, they said the new bunkers that are full of water had been pumped out but due to the high water table many had filled again.
if you walked around the course its bone dry, but underground its not obviously, Nairn is a very well drained course on sand and even that is saturated.

If the water table is at a level where drainage can't go anywhere there isn't a lot that can be done about it. Once the water table drops the standing water will disappear very quickly. Just let nature take its course and all will be ticketyboo.

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Phil, realise you may already have been here but I played the Colt course yesterday.

All main tee boxes were in play, although some had been moved forward.
Greens were all in play but full of sand and they've been hollow tined. Pretty pointless putting on them to be honest.
The course is VERY wet in parts, particularly in the run off areas around the greens.

Hope this helps.
Hi thanks for the reply I was already there. Had a good time but like you say the greens where unputtable. I’ve never seen so much sand apart from a beach or in a bunker lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply I was already there. Had a good time but like you say the greens where unputtable. I’ve never seen so much sand apart from a beach or in a bunker lol
Think how good it will be once the restrictions are lifted though :D. All that time to settle down without us golfers messing it up.