Close House - Chalk Cheese & Marmite

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well, against the advice of Moogie, who said the course would be waterlogged & I’d like it as little as the Colt, I played the Filly course for the first time, with my mate, who has taken out second class citizen membership there.

After almost 24 hours rain on Monday, the course was understandably a bit wet but far better than I thought it would be and perfectly playable. I loved the course, every hole. It’s undulating enough to make it interesting and the flat parts have enough trees & features to stop the very flat parts looking like a big field. The course was re bunkered by the new owners & it has been very intelligently done. The greens, all to USGS standard, while being cut only to 4 mm were very true & I can imagine how good they will be in the summer, cut down to regulation length.

From a personal point of view the course, at 6,000 yards is ideal, with most of the par 4s reachable with a drive & an iron, important for two old gadgies who can only carry it 220 yards off the tee.

It was a beautiful day, like Spring, 7º & absolutely no wind. I didn’t pay very well at all but finished with a textbook birdie.

Can’t wait to go back, completely different course from its big brother.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never actually said it would be “waterlogged”
Just that it would be wet, and you may not see the course at its best or in a good light
But never mind
I’m really pleased that you enjoyed it though

It’s a cracking course, much prefer it to the colt
Some may see its yardage and think they will destroy it
But it’s really well bunkered, a bunker off most tees to catch you off the tee
USGA spec greens that drain really well
It’s a gem

Maybe next time you visit, when weather is better perhaps, tee it up off the whites, as some holes play very differently
White tee play is allowed at anytime too

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to add
I’ve never really had an issue with your views, opinions, of the colt
We’re all allowed them
It was more the timing of this in another thread that I had problem with

The colt will always provoke discussion
Very much a marmite course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
MiB - Pleased you enjoyed your day there. I prefer the Filly to the Colt, much more playable for my standard. It is not an easy course but all holes are manageable if you play well. No holes are unfair, lots are interesting.

I agree about the length, it proves that stretching a course is not always required, although I fully accept that is required for a championship course for pro's.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As an aside, my Garmin GPS wa going haywire yesterday, showing all the wrong holes. Playing the middle section of the course it was consistently 9 holes out, then, playing 18, it was actually the 2nd on the GPS. On a lot of holes I was having to cycle through all the holes to find the one we were actually playing. Wierd

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As an aside, my Garmin GPS wa going haywire yesterday, showing all the wrong holes. Playing the middle section of the course it was consistently 9 holes out, then, playing 18, it was actually the 2nd on the GPS. On a lot of holes I was having to cycle through all the holes to find the one we were actually playing. Wierd

Access the course on your connect app on your mobile and make sure the google arial photograph still loads automatically, if its just a white background then the gps wont work properly and you just need to delete the course and load it again to get the photograph back

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

That’s because the course layout, orientation of holes
Starting points etc
Has changed since it was mapped for your gps
It’s the same on my sons watch
But my garmin gps is fine

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As in the other post, I've also joined CH, looking forward very much to getting out there and getting to use all the facilities. The putting green that was built for the Masters is now a permanent fixture and can be used, as can the Yearling 9 hole par 3 course which should be ideal for sharpening the short game.

Once the forecasted snow next week is gone, hopefully it never arrives, I'll be up CH quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 16999

The whole place is top notch, if only it was half an hour closer!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me too. They only accept so many of those vouchers each day as well. There will be quite a rush in the last week of March.

Let's hope the weather starts to warm up as I don't want to use mine just for the sake of it.