Cleveland CG15 DSG questions

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I'm looking to but one of these chaps having surveyed just about every wedge on the market. I love Cleveland wedges. Simple as that.

So the question is, 52 or 54 degrees? Bearing in mind i'll hopefully have new irons within 6 months, which will be up to PW, and i'll add another wedge or 2 after that.

basically i'm getting a new driver just now so only have enough left for one wedge. I'm joining a links type course so i need a good allrounder just now but am torn between the 2 lofts.

Can anyone offer advice/experience? I think i'm slightly swayed towards the 52 at the moment

Cheers

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If youre joining a links course Id think getting the right bounce rather than the right loft may be important, and Id expect you will want a low bounce wedge to use of what should predominantly be tight fairways.

In working out lofts I think you need to work out what your bag will be when its finished and whether it will be PW and 2 more wedges or PW and 3 more wedges.

If the former then Id go 52/58, if the latter then either 50,54,58 or 52,56,60 to try and keep the gaps consistent

At the end of the day if you think you got it wrong down the line you can always get them bent a degree or two

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think you need to decide on how many wedges you will carry and it may also depend on the wedge in your new set. If its a strong loft at 45deg i think that a 54deg gap wedge would be too much of a gap. You may want to go 52 and 58 or even 50, 56(or 54) and 60, if you want to carry three. Just don't tell bob :rolleyes:

If your new set has a 47deg wedge then the 54 is possible but i still carry 52 and 56 in my bag

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think you need to decide on how many wedges you will carry and it may also depend on the wedge in your new set. If its a strong loft at 45deg i think that a 54deg gap wedge would be too much of a gap. You may want to go 52 and 58 or even 50, 56(or 54) and 60, if you want to carry three. Just don't tell bob :rolleyes:

If your new set has a 47deg wedge then the 54 is possible but i still carry 52 and 56 in my bag

Agreed.

A lot of PW's, even in "players" clubs are getting stronger. 47 degrees for a PW is becoming a thing of the past. Very few still offer one in the set. 45 or 46 is the norm now. THis does leave a big gap between the PW and SW - 10/11 degrees or potentially up to 30 yards!!
Assuming I change irons soon I'm going to have to reconfigure my wedges to fit the new iron lofts, although I might just get away with de-lofting the 52.

granters

Q-School Graduate
Thanks guys, appreciated. I forgot to mention i'd already decided on low bounce anyway, that's why i'm going with Cleveland.

I'll go for the 52 with a view to adding a 56 or 58 later. But in saying that i always loved my Ping Eye 2 60 degree lob! I think PW plus 2 will be plenty, i don't mind opening the face up and trying to be creative

granters

Q-School Graduate
Note that the DSG model doesn't come in bounce models...

Aye, that's why i'm going with it. I like the workability of it with the ground toe etc. It's sold as 8 degrees dynamic bounce.I'm not buying it with the intention of using it from the bunker, more for tight lies.

Interestingly i used to use my Ping Eye 2 60 degree out of every bunker and there was absolutely no bounce on it. And i had a perfectly "normal" sand wedge in the bag. My bunker play was excellent with it too. It just shows that experimentation is worthwhile.I found it cut through the sand beautifully and gave really predictable results

One man's waste is another man's treasure and all that.

granters

Q-School Graduate
I just noticed that in your profile! I may just treat myself to a 56 too...have a fishing rod on e-bay that's getting twice what i thought. And she's just bought UGG boots... :D

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just noticed that in your profile! I may just treat myself to a 56 too...have a fishing rod on e-bay that's getting twice what i thought. And she's just bought UGG boots... :D

Just realised that supposed to say 58! Changed now!