Clarifying terminology

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Can someone please tell me what is meant by the phrase "clubhead outside hands" when referring to the start of the backswing. I hear this very often but am I am not really clear what it means.

Cheers

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It means that when looking from behind (in the direction of the shot) a righthanded player the clubhead should stay to the right of the hands during the initial stages of the backswing.
Picking the club up with the hands / rolling the wrists early on can lead to all sorts of problems and by keeping the clubhead outside the hands you stand a much better chance of making a good backswing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here's an interesting pic of Faldo... (you can actually see 2 clubheads in this backswing due to the timing of the pic)... however BOTH visible clubheads are outside the hands as they are to the RIGHT of the hands from this view... [click to enlarge]

faldoplane.jpg

If the clubhead was to the left from this view it would be inside the hands, or too deep.... or whatever the catchword of the day is

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A proper expert should be along shortly, in the mean time.......I think it refer to the position of the clubface relative to your hands when the shaft is horizontal on the backswing

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I think I understand??;)
Why is this recommended then?? It seems to go against the ideal swing plane?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thank you all for the replies. I think I understand??;)
Why is this recommended then?? It seems to go against the ideal swing plane?

If you draw a line from Faldo's ball, through the shaft and back behind him, you'll notice he's bang on plane. If the club goes behind your hands invariably you'll swing too flat (then you'll lift and get the club across the line at the top).... how much depends on just how far behind your hands the club goes. The hands lead the swing and control the club head... not the other way round.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
One worth watching.... the illusion of the back 'swing'....

[video=youtube;_JES-8I-VAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JES-8I-VAk[/video]

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you JustOne that is very helpful. I Think the penny has finally dropped and the video was really useful to hel with that.
Cheers