Chrome soft or Chrome soft x

TigerBear

Visit site
I game the Callaway Chrome soft, not the truvis as I get a very different feel from them with higher irons and wedges. I love the soft feel and higher spin in and around the green.

Found a chrome soft x this afternoon and played it for the rest of my round.

I'm sure, especially with the driver that the ball had a straighter flight and was definitely carrying longer.

My PP saying probably more down to good on-centre strikes and that he would be surprised given the higher compression X would not be as suited to my swing as my swing is not fast enough.

I don't buy it and I'm sure the x is giving me more distance! Any thoughts?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try and get on a launch monitor and hit the balls side by side.

the main thing you should worry about is how each ball feels when chipping and putting. If you don’t like that feel, then don’t play it.

TigerBear

Visit site
Try and get on a launch monitor and hit the balls side by side.

the main thing you should worry about is how each ball feels when chipping and putting. If you don’t like that feel, then don’t play it.

It would be really interesting to get numbers to actually see if there is a difference. My club doesn't have a simulator suite so I wouldn't know where to start?

Strangely I found the feel to be very similar to the point I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me with any of these balls I play one ball on one hole and the other on the next hole as the best way to get a true comparison.

Would not be able to comment on Chromesoft specifically as I hate the feel of them compared to the original Chromesoft and other premium balls. Horses for courses when it comes to golf ball choice. I know some like the 'tink' you get with some balls I prefer a very soft feel.

I bought 3 dozen played one for 6 holes and resold them.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The difference between the two are very slight and unless you strike the ball pure from shot to shot you won't be able to make out the difference. Maybe and I stress maybe I feel the chrome x feels softer. As for one flying straighter than the other, that's you my friend not the ball

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like them both. Main difference for me is the chromesoft feels much softer off the putter and on short chip shots than the x. No real difference in driver distance or iron distance for me.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
None - both are crap.

Look at Snell or Bridgestone balls.
Tried a couple of Snell balls and liked them.

My 2hcp mate has just switched 2 Bridgestone tour B RX (I think) picks them up on line for about £25.

My personal fave is Titleist AVX. Doesn't spin too much.

JGolfer

Visit site
None - both are crap.

Look at Snell or Bridgestone balls.

I’m thinking of changing from chromesoft to Snell. How do you find the snell? I read reviews and all good. Would be favour the mtb black as it’s apparently softer than the x.

Also to OP. I tried the chromesoft and the X. For me I did find the X was longer off the tee. However did not enjoy them around the greens at all.

I’m about 100mph SS with driver. If that is any help.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As others have said play both together for a few holes if you can get out and practice but see what the x playes like around the green. I don't think off your handicap (same as me) you'll see or certainly feel too much difference with the longer clubs and any difference is more to do with quality of strike. It is around the greens that I think balls really differentiate

Chico84

Visit site
Tried a couple of Snell balls and liked them.

My 2hcp mate has just switched 2 Bridgestone tour B RX (I think) picks them up on line for about £25.

My personal fave is Titleist AVX. Doesn't spin too much.

Where does he get those Bridgestones at that price? I’m a big fan of those balls but they’re usually £30+

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m thinking of changing from chromesoft to Snell. How do you find the snell? I read reviews and all good. Would be favour the mtb black as it’s apparently softer than the x.

Also to OP. I tried the chromesoft and the X. For me I did find the X was longer off the tee. However did not enjoy them around the greens at all.

I’m about 100mph SS with driver. If that is any help.

Like most manufacturers it depends on which model

I have only played one version for a few holes (MTB Black from memory) and gave it back the person who gave it to me. Not enough greenside spin for me. That was in 2019 and there may be a newer version out now.