Christmas Tree - when should it go up? How big? Real/fake?

B

birdieman

When should we put up our Christmas Trees?

When I was a nipper it was about a week before Xmas, around the 18th. Personally I would have preferred it sooner but Pops wouldn't have it.

I 'acquired' an Xmas tree today and it is now up - 1st December! Can't help but feel it's a bit soon but wife was insistent! Is that sacriledge?

Mine is 8'6" tall, premeasured to fit exactly! Anyone beat that!

I'm not allowed to decorate, wife's job, no problem with that at all!

It is snowing outside just now it all feels a bit festive, so much so I think a sherry could be in order! :rolleyes:

Can't be doing with fake trees, need a real one, my 3 year old has threatened to push it over however and our 12 week old kitten is threatening to wreak havoc.

Ah Christmas - dont you just love it! ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Real one from the Forestry Commision place in the hills nearby but it can't go up until a week before. About 5 ft we normally get and I don't get near it. HID and the Boy do all that stuff - I just get to water it!

We've got houses round here that have had lights up for a week already!!
Madness

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a family Christmas day out at the start of December when we...Go to the cinema, have a big lunch, Visit Santa, go get our tree and go home and decorate the house. For us, this is when Christmas starts.
We're having it this Saturday.
Our tree is always real and it's always as big as I can get in the house. It wouldn't be the first time that I've had to saw a bit off it to get it in.
Around 7 1/2ft I would say.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
A Christmas tree is for LIFE not just for Christmas ya murdering bams ;)

We used to put it up 12 days before but that was pre Olivia so its going up on Sunday.

Stu, does the fact you work in the forestry industry get you a good deal?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Money was too tight to mention when I was a lad so it was artificial only apart from one year when we had a real one and I managed to shake it bear by Christmas Eve. TBH with just HID and I there isn't quite the mystique so we normally put the tree up about a week beforehand

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That is why when we bought one 4 years ago it was in a pot and was planted in the garden to be used the folowing year.....

This will be the 4th year in a row we have bought a new one and i will be digging the dead one out the garden again this Sunday :mad:

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always fake when I was a kid, but real now from the Forestry Commission place in Delamere Forest. Kids love going to pick the tree, usually a "sleigh" ride thingy through the forest, grotto etc. Probably 2 weekends before Christmas

I'm allowed to pay for the tree and transport it home, not allowed to touch it again until it's recyling time

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Real for me. We have three, one in the porch, one in the hall, and one in the lounge. All about 6 1/2 foot. Normally go up around the 14th ish.

T

thecraw

Good old fibre optic jobby, pull it out the box, spread out the branches, put it in the base and plug in.

Wallllllla, instant chrimbo tree!

It will go up on the 11th and not a day before. If I didnt have kids now I would have it back down on boxing day, bloody electricity munching oversized lightbuld.

Merry exmas bah humbug!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never. Have not had a Christmas tree since 2000 when I left the parents home, Neither do I send or put up cards. They look tacky and clutter up my bachelor pad. Cant wait to get it all over with.

Bar Humbug!

B

birdieman

Stu, does the fact you work in the forestry industry get you a good deal?

These trees are not taken from native forests, they are exotic conifers grown on Xmas tree farms, so they are there to be cut down just like any other crop. There is no ethical case to answer with this.

I get a tree for free yes, I supply a few locally but its just Scots Pine, none of you're fancy Nordmann Fir, they can't be grown in our climate anyway.

Be careful with spruces as they don't retain needles well and the industry cut them so early by Xmas they could look bad. A bit of watering does help as water will be drawn up through evapo-transpiration despite the tree being cut.

Pine retain needles much longer. Firs are best but you'll pay good money for them.

T

thecraw

Free golf balls yesterday, now free Christmas tree advice today!

What next on this forum?