choosing the correct putter.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can anyone give me any advice with regards to the topic title.

I currently use a Ping A-blade, and am toying with the idea of treating myself. How is it best to decide what to go with. I like the look of the Ping Anser and the Ping Zing.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
A couple of the web sites, Odyssey and Titleist are 2 that spring to mind have a Putter Fitting Module. Probably not the definitive answer but gives some recommendations to try and which style of putter might suit your putting style. I went to a range (world of golf) that had absolutely loads to try and finished up with one that the odyssey module had recommended funnily enough.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Several aspects. Find out whether you have a straight back, straight through, or gated (swinging open and shut) stroke. For the former, a face balanced putter is better, for the latter, a toe weighted one, usually a heel shafted putter.

Then find some styles you like. Liking the look is important.

Then find a length that suits you, generally a shortish length that allows your arms to hang free.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used a Ping A blade for years.
I started to think about the possibilities of changing to a high MOI mallet putter. Best move I ever made.
If you can putt, you can putt with anything, so go for whatever takes your fancy. If you want to get better results (especially from long range), try a mallet.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
If you want to get better results (especially from long range), try a mallet.

My old Odessy No7 fang thing was what I'd guess you'd call a big mallet'y thing. But I found the reverse was true. Really quite good for accuracy on the shorter putts. But awful with the longer putts. I found judging distances with it quite difficult. And would often either send the ball miles beyond the hole, or leave it very short.

I now have a 'half mallet' type thing, Bettinardi BC3, and find it's so much better at the longer putts. But also not too bad close up either.

It could just be that I can't putt though!!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have that fang putter and have no issues whatsover with distance. It's the best putter I have ever owned so it's horses for courses. Try as many as you can get your hands on. The most important thing is to keep an open mind because your ideal putter could be something you would never think of trying.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I have that fang putter and have no issues whatsover with distance. It's the best putter I have ever owned so it's horses for courses. Try as many as you can get your hands on. The most important thing is to keep an open mind because your ideal putter could be something you would never think of trying.

Glad that it's still working for you and has found a loving home. As you say, horses for courses.

That's why asking for which club etc on here is so down to personal preference.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
Had the old no. 7 fang as well, what a great putter, I noticed a couple of the tour players using them now (although I think it's the slightly updated version).
Great for picking your ball up as well.
If I hadn't gotten on so well with my Ping B90i Broom Handle 48" i would still have it in my bag

Is anyone using a TM ghost ? just wondered what the feedback on those would be ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've used mallet type putters (Itsy spider, odyssey 2 ball etc) and never had an issue with distance control. I suffered more with short putts and looking down on a big head to go a short distance and would never accelerate through.

Got my odyssey #9 and never looked back. Putted as well as I've done since my early 20's since June and feel really confident on anything between 3 and 6 feet.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I found the same with my Odyssey 2 ball, couldn't judge distance for toffee, but was deadly from short range.

Still have it and give it a whirl every now and again, but it always ends up back in the locker.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I have gone back to an old style blade, my thinking was we play golf with golf clubs till we get to the green, then use something that looks like an aliens penis to do the most important job of getting the ball in the hole, I decided I wanted my putter to look like a golf club

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone give me any advice with regards to the topic title.

I currently use a Ping A-blade, and am toying with the idea of treating myself. How is it best to decide what to go with. I like the look of the Ping Anser and the Ping Zing.

Whichever one makes the little white thing go in the dark hole thing.

OK seriously I belive its all about love, I fell in love with my putter and I have grown into it. I may not be the best putter but I did not fall in love with any of the larger headed putters. I do quarrel with mine some days, sometimes more than others, maybe I might quarrel less with a more forgiving putter. But it comes down to one thing, I can always forgive it and it quite often has a day where it just does not miss!

I want to be buried with it

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I want to be buried with it

that can be arranged
evilgrin0003.gif