Choosing a new club head for irons

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As some of u may be aware I'm getting custom fitted on Aug 15 in Edinburgh using track man etc. I've narrowed it down to 3 club heads I like, mizuno mp 64, taylormade rocketbladez tour and titleist ap2, my question is should I go hit the demo clubs at my pro which will have a regular shaft, with the above heads before I go, or should I wait until I get there and hit them with all the shafts that will be recommended for my swing etc. really a novice on the custom fitting scene and looking for a bit if advice

D

Deleted member 1147

Wouldn't you be best off waiting for the CF and deciding which heads and shafts are best for you then?

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your prob right but was asking the opinion to see if I should hit them to try get a feel for them before I go. But I think your right

D

Deleted member 1147

The reason I suggest that is, I've had CF before and you can hit a club which looks very similar to another but for some reason you just don't like it. Even if it looks really nice, or is supposed to be perfect for you.

I've found it best to just try loads of clubs and see what comes out best as a combination (head & shaft & grip).

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would suggest finding the head that you like then the fitter can sort out the rest. He'll put in the right shaft to suit your swing and desired shot characteristics.

No harm in trying different heads first, it's important that you like the look and how a club sits and feels.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the shaft is more important than the head. You will play better with the right shaft in a blade than the wrong shaft in a GI club. Of course, the behaviour of the shaft and head are not entirely separate considerations. Some heads are more spinny or have different weighting than others, so the right shaft choice may be different in different heads.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As some of u may be aware I'm getting custom fitted on Aug 15 in Edinburgh using track man etc. I've narrowed it down to 3 club heads I like, mizuno mp 64, taylormade rocketbladez tour and titleist ap2, my question is should I go hit the demo clubs at my pro which will have a regular shaft, with the above heads before I go, or should I wait until I get there and hit them with all the shafts that will be recommended for my swing etc. really a novice on the custom fitting scene and looking for a bit if advice

How have you done that?

Remember how Homer went to check out Cally X-Forgeds w PX5.5 and ended up with Ping 25s - and completely different shafts too - stock Ping Regular vs PX5.5 (Stiff).

But there's always the Homer factor to consider! :whistle:

Whatever you do, make sure you take (at least one of) your own clubs to 'calibrate' the fitting!

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There the heads I like at address in the club shop, and it's these three am going up with in mind although in open to suggestions from the fitter , as he'll know best

Yeah taking all my clubs up.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't hit any before trying them. Heck if I'm totally honest I'd have tried not to have looked at any of them properly either.

For me, it would be more useful to just get a load of them hit them a lot and see what numbers come out.

If you've already half made your mind up it's going to influence your end decision and you could end up going for a club that you hit worse because you 'want' to like it more than another.

As others have said, get the shaft right and then pick the head that gives the best results. In all honesty, other than them new Mizuno Mp-4's all irons are pretty much of a muchness in terms of looks. Surely its better to see which ones you hit best and go with them, regardless of brand / perception.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went to the fitting with some clubs I wanted to hit but basically let the fitter guide me. He let me try my heads of choice and matched the shafts. In the end the G25 were just too good and the numbers don't lie. I had pre-conceived ideas about the X-hot pro in my first fitting with my teaching pro and the I20 or Rocketbladez Tour but I couldn't hit them well enough compared to the G25

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Go with a clean slate and try what is suggested to you first mate. Then if your not happy try the ones you like the look of.

As said the shafts more important than the head. The more forgiving head the better imo.

However if it doesn't suit your eye then that s a problem

D

Deleted Member 1156

I wouldn't hit any before trying them. Heck if I'm totally honest I'd have tried not to have looked at any of them properly either.

For me, it would be more useful to just get a load of them hit them a lot and see what numbers come out.

If you've already half made your mind up it's going to influence your end decision and you could end up going for a club that you hit worse because you 'want' to like it more than another.

As others have said, get the shaft right and then pick the head that gives the best results. In all honesty, other than them new Mizuno Mp-4's all irons are pretty much of a muchness in terms of looks. Surely its better to see which ones you hit best and go with them, regardless of brand / perception.

This really isn't the right way to go about it.

Pick a head that suits your eye and ability, the fitter can then put the right shaft in it to give you the optimum results. Different shafts work differently with different heads. You can't be fitted for a DG S300 then pick a head to go on the end, it works the other way round. Even the Mizuno fitting club thingy can only come up with a starting point, you then have to refine it from there.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This really isn't the right way to go about it.

Pick a head that suits your eye and ability, the fitter can then put the right shaft in it to give you the optimum results. Different shafts work differently with different heads. You can't be fitted for a DG S300 then pick a head to go on the end, it works the other way round. Even the Mizuno fitting club thingy can only come up with a starting point, you then have to refine it from there.

Apologies, maybe I didn't word it as I meant it. Essentially it's the shaft / weight combo that will bring the club back to the correct position, regardless of what it looks like. I know that you need to like the look of them as you address before, but was trying to stress the importance of getting that combo right. As someone said before, I'd likely hit my clubs with a senior flex shaft, much less consistently than a 'worse' set of clubs with a shaft suited to me.

Interestingly though, had PX 6.0's in my last two sets of irons despite them being pretty different and loved them both. Much preferred them over S300's on KBS's. Again, just personal preference.