Chipping woes

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lately had trouble with my chipping, just seem to have no feel for distance around the green, and I also am struggling with what type of shot to play (flop shot, chip and run etc) therefore meaning I often don't know what type of club to select, I find myself thinning and fatting a lot with no consistency... Anyone with some advice would be greatly appreciated :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I am playing shots around the green I never hit the shot high unless I have to go over something.
Get the ball rolling as soon as you can.
I also tend to use lots of diferent clubs from around the green, anything from 6 iron up to the PW and SW occassionally.
The important thing to remember is do not quit on it. Pick a spot where you want to land the ball and commit to the club you have chosen and do your best to land the ball on that spot.
Of course its also very important you practice.
Take a small golf towel and lie it on the chipping green where you want to land the ball and practice landing the ball on the towel(if you have a chipping green)
HTH

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had a similar thread recently where I suggested the 'Hinge and Hold' method which I find is the most reliable. I posted a couple of videos to explain the method. I would be happy to repost if you cant find them.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think with hindsight I was using too much loft and was trying to get it up in the air too often, socket rocket I had a look but couldn't find the post, if you could repost I would be very grateful, thanks for the advice bobmac, will definitely give that drill a go when I next practice :) my one consolation yesterday when it came to chipping was I hit a flop shot from under some trees that hit the pin and left me a 2 footer :)

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
cheers for the videos socketrocket, praticed hinge and hold in the garden and was starting to hit some really nice chips :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My whole season has been plaugued by short game woes and if I'd been able to chip and putt and capitalise on some solid ball striking may even have picked up a pot or two. I went down the linear method for a while which seems a lot simpler than hinge and hold and it worked well. However something mystical has happened and I'm starting to chip better and using a traditional method. Some of that is definitely down to the V-East