Chipping Tips

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm quite weak at chipping so have been spending some time practicing various shots 6I thru to lob wedge. What I find is that I am more often always right of the hole so pushing chips. I dont have this problem with pitches just when chipping. Any ideas how to combat this or what I might be doing wrong?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use my normal grip. When I bump and run with a 8i for example the ball wants to go right. When I use a more lofted iron the ball has a tendency to check/veer right when it hits the green. I've never had a chipping lesson so my technique is no doubt flawed. Looking for some easy and effective chipping drills to help hit straight.

C

CannyFifer

Twice your handicap so take with a pinch of salt but I've been told to open the stance for short chips.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does the ball spin right or start right?

I'd keep it simple, for a straight chip aim the clubface at the hole, you can open the feet up but ... keep your shoulders on line (parallel and left) and swing along the line of your shoulders. I wouldn't be trying to cut across it or opening up the clubface to add sidespin / loft.

You could chip to a landing area that will result in the ball finishing where you want (mark it out) and make it thinner so you really have to work to keep it on line. Similarly try chipping into a bucket that is facing towards you at about 45 degrees.

If you feel you are missing it right because you are manipulating the clubface with your bottom hand you could try some lead arm only drills.

Edit: The putting H card could be used too. Print a big bold H and laminate it. Cut out the midlle bits, hole ounch a couple of holes in it and use tee pegs to hold in place and chip from there.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers, I do open the stance a tad but experimented with square as well but problem remains. I probably ought to have a short game lesson with a pro because my putting is not consistent either. These are 2 things I have never had a lesson on and it shows. But if there is a nice tutorial somewhere online that someone has used to improve chipping please share.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chips with 7/8/9 irons are one of the only things I'm quite good at.

When I started, my mate taught me how he did it. (right or wrong)

Stand open.
Ball back a little (not right off the back foot, unless you are running in a long one low.)
Hands a little forward.
HOOD the face.
Use the same action and grip as a putt.

Works for me. In your case, why not look down at the face angle and see if you can close it a bit. A "push" is a shot where the face and path are right of target *but in harmony*. If the face is truly pointing at the hole, the path will have almost no effect, like putting.

When I was having my putting C/F and lesson, the pro (who's done the whole Yes! golf course) hit some putts to prove a very interesting point. He used a laser to check that the face was aiming at the hole (on an artificial putting green). He then deliberately stroked the ball with a straight stroke, a push stroke (in-out) and a pull stroke (out-in). ALL the balls went down the hole. The same applies to chipping. It's an illusion most of the time.....if you aim the face over a small "mark" just in front of the ball (maybe a foot-18") you can stand any way you like and put any stroke on it - it'll still roll pretty much straight.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I tend to lock my wrists and with a slight open stance move my hands slightly forward and putt the ball if is really short I may go down the shaft slightly but not a lot.

Like dave said when lining up try and pick a point around a foot in front of the ball to aim over, I do this with every shot

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that on of the most important things when chipping is to keep the club face open, through and after impact. If you turn it over at all you are less likely to get the loft you want on the ball and there is a tendancy to pull the ball left, so that distance control is affected. If you let the right hand hold the club off through and after impact you generally can accelerate better through impact and all you need to worry about is the spot you want the ball to land on before it rolls out - it all gets more consistant

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks I will definitely pay more attention to where the face is pointing, for both chipping and putting. :rolleyes:

It's fairly common to let the hands travel waaaaay too far to the inside on the backswing, subsequently returning the club to the ball with the face pointing to the right.... ball starts right.

On short chips (30ft or less) feel like the club goes straight back (and up) if necessary, very little shoulder turn, and the hands stay ahead of the clubface on the way through for a crisp hit. Make sure you take the correct loft ;)

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't use anything less than a 9 iron as I deloft the club strongly when I chip...

When it comes to pushes I might think that the ball is too far back in the stance (not allowing the clubface to square up to the ball), so you might like to put the ball a little more forward (not too much) in your stance...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
With the short chips, I have a VERY narrow stance 3-5 inches, the ball in the centre of my stance and my weight predominently on my front foot, which moves my hands in front of the ball.