Chipping practice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just got back from the range and have done a video for those having chipping problems.
Firstly, you need 2 baskets, a spare club and a head cover.
Position the baskets about 3-4 feet apart and place the spare club across.
Then place a ball about 3-4 feet back from the club.
Behind the ball about 12-14 inches place a headcover.
Thats your practice station.

chipping.jpg

Now, set up to the ball as follows
  • feet close together
  • ball back in the stance a touch
  • weight forward
  • hands forward
  • hands at the bottom of the grip
chipping2.jpg

Now, try and hit the ball under the club shaft without hitting the headcover.
If you get it right, the ball will lift over the club and roll out nicely, without, topping/thinning/duffing.

Here's the view from down the line using 7,9 and SW

[video=youtube;84pM1EMya_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84pM1EMya_E&feature=youtu.be[/video]

And the same 3 clubs from face on

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8aMPqdmbY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Once you get the feelling of hitting down on the shot you will see the ball lift and confidence will grow.
You'll soon wonder what all the fuss was about :)
Hope this helps

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regarding this:

Now, try and hit the ball under the club shaft without hitting the headcover.
If you get it right, the ball will lift over the club and roll out nicely, without, topping/thinning/duffing.

Is this to make you think you want to hit it UNDER to get the desired angle of attack but the actual result you want is to get it over the shaft and by getting the desired angle of attack will achieve this? Confused? I am :mad:

Just wondered as the statements contradict themselves, but I think I know what you mean.

*goes off for a lie down*

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Regarding this:

Is this to make you think you want to hit it UNDER to get the desired angle of attack but the actual result you want is to get it over the shaft and by getting the desired angle of attack will achieve this? Confused? I am :mad:

Just wondered as the statements contradict themselves, but I think I know what you mean.

*goes off for a lie down*

that is what I assumed on reading it, every one says don't try and get the ball in the air let the club do the work. That is just a good way of visualising it.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks Bob - Can you explain why you need to hold the bottom of the Grip?

It something I have seen many do, but it feels like I am gonna hit an air shot or top the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Bob - Can you explain why you need to hold the bottom of the Grip?

It something I have seen many do, but it feels like I am gonna hit an air shot or top the ball.

It gets your hands closer to the club head giving more control. It also shortens the club meaning you can be firmer with the shot and gets your eyes more over the ball

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great little drill that is bob. It is something that I see so often from people that are poor with their chipping. They always seem to flick there wrists rather than letting the loft do the work. That drill, even though a very simple thing could help a lot of people out there.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bob - thanks again for posting this.

went out to our par 3 course today to put it to the test.

First few attempts with the hands at the bottom of the grip resulted in thinned shots through the green. I think this was more in my head, as said this is the fear I had with it.

Once I got it going I have to say its made a huge difference. By the end I could really commit to the shot and was even threatening the hole with a few.

Best thing with this drill is I can use in the garden too.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
It gets your hands closer to the club head giving more control. It also shortens the club meaning you can be firmer with the shot and gets your eyes more over the ball

Rubbish - he's just trying to get you to use more of your grip so that it wears out in more than one place so you have to get it replaced by a pro - he's heavily sponsored by GolfPride is Bob you know