Chipping club

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Short game needs practice and joined a club with nice practice area

When I was a kid I remember having one club(8 iron) no idea of loft. But I could play a lot of different shots well from around the green. Mainly because of practise in the garden

I am thinking of focusing my practise on one club again

My question is does anybody else use mainly one club and if so what is it?

Thanks

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Short game needs practice and joined a club with nice practice area

When I was a kid I remember having one club(8 iron) no idea of loft. But I could play a lot of different shots well from around the green. Mainly because of practise in the garden

I am thinking of focusing my practise on one club again

My question is does anybody else use mainly one club and if so what is it?

Thanks

8 Iron is my go to club

today I was using a 58 wedge and having some very good results but when wasnt confident I went back to my 8 iron

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to do chip and runs with the 8 iron actually. Now I use the pitching wedge though - with heel slightly elevated and hitting slightly out of the toe end. Or if I'm in the rough a little further back then the sand wedge.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
7 iron everytime with the bump and run saving me a lot of shots when I'm just off the green / on the fringe, compared to lofted clubs or the putter where I always struggle with my speed when putting through anything longer than the grass on the putting surface !

GBC

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mainly use my lob wedge and can play every kind of shot I need to with it. Will use a pitching wedge or a 9 if I need a bit more roll-out, but can play chip and runs with a 58 quite comfortably when needed. Whatever club you pick you should be able to play a variety of different shots with it as the chip and run is all well and good, but you can't play in every scenario. You need to be flexible with your short game.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Used to be my 9 iron. My first pro told me to hit all short game shots with it and that's what I did for a while. By now I have changed mostly to my sandwedge (56°) for everything under 35 yards or so. I know less loft makes a shot easier, theoretically, but I find distance control very very hard with a bump and run shot, so I prefer a bit more loft which allows me to be slightly more aggressive. I do still use the 9 iron (and my other short to medium irons, depending on distance) for longer chip shots.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
95% of the time use my 56. I have a pretty decent short game and feel this club offers the best all round chance of getting up and down from whatever lie I may get.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on the lie, distance to pin, distance to landing point, any hazards to go over and if so how high, how the greens are reacting, wind etc etc...
Any club from 7-58°

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
50 degree wedge is my 'go to' club. Used to be 52 but I have played around a lot with what's in the bag this year.

Generally though I will use anything up to a 6 iron.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I got back into golf I had five lessons at Lindrick, home of the Ryder cup 57 I think. Anyway Luke gave me a lesson on chipping with differant clubs from 7i - 56 deg. in essence he put a hoop down about 10 yds away. When he set it up I thought I had to get the ball to stay in the hoop. Nope, the lesson was to get the ball to bounce in the hoop and see where it finishes. The differance in the run on from the differant clubs was unreal. Important to know when you do not have much room to play with. It was an excellent lesson in showing how balls can run out. In that sense I have used all clubs from 7 iron to chip/putt to a 48. Tend not to go above that coz I can end up knobbing it.
Funnily enough a PP said at the weekend my short game inc putting is a single handicappers. Playing off 21 it must mean my long game is off 28 🙁

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have got a 37° chipper (lofted putter type) that I used to use but since changing my irons I now use anything from 7i - SW depending on what obstacle I need to negotiate (bunkers, green-banks etc) but if I had to pick one specific iron it'll be the 8... :thup:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I bought myself a chipper but was still crap so that's now in my cupboard and I've been experimenting on the practice green I have sort of found a method that I feel comfortable with using 7 iron up to 56 wedge

no doubt it'll all go tits up tomorrow when I try it out for real on my works golf day.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I use maths. To me a 9 iron is 50% carry 50% roll out. 7 iron 35% carry 65% roll out. Etc. adjust for rough and lack of spin.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
7 iron chip & run - providing lie and line suitable is my go to. BUT a nice 60 degree lob shot always seems more impressive

Yep, can't beat a good flop-shot, massive air and drop it rite on the button, one of my most frequently used shots and I've lost count of the amount of times I've slam-dunked one, had one t'other day, mid week medal, 2nd green, 2nd shot landed right of green, sand-wedged a floppy up over the bank, it didn't even touch the green stuff, just dropped rite in the cup for a 3 net 2, get in, shame the rest of the round was mediocre to say the least... :thup:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
54 degree wedge for me, very rare I use my lob wedge or 50 for anything other than sand and full shots. Did try the whole 8 iron chip and run thing a few times months ago but just wasn't a fan.