Chipping club

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies

Obviously everyone is different and found a way that works for them although it seems the answers are for a lot a loft (56' +) or 8 iron (similar)

Why not a pitching wedge out of curiosity

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
9 iron is the one i'll choose for a bump & run chip unless the distance needs an 8

My PW is for pitch shots not chips ;) although really close i might use it as an option

I do carry a 34" hybrid headed chipper club but its for playing off stone lies and out of tight spaces just to get a ball back into play (its covered in scratches, scores and other wounds from doing this but better that than damaging a regular club)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mainly use my PW or 50, although will also occasionally use the 7 iron or 58 depending on what is in front of me.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on the lie, distance to pin, distance to landing point, any hazards to go over and if so how high, how the greens are reacting, wind etc etc...
Any club from 7-58°

Agree. Depends on the situation and what you face with your shot. If there's not a lot of green to work with then i want the ball in the air as soon as possible. If there's green to work with i want to try to use it. It's much easier to judge the roll of a ball than how a ball will react in the air and when it lands. If there's green to use, i will use it (in most cases).

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive recently learnt how to play good chip and run shots. I pretty much always threw shots up to the hole before. Now I do play them running a lot more.

Will use anything apart from driver 3 & 5 wood. Hybrid dunt used now and again.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been experimenting from using a PW for 50% air 50% roll shots through 9,8,7,6 or 50 or 60 for less roll than air.

Can be terrible with all of them! Recently seem to be rolling off through the green with the less lofted clubs and stopping short with he higher lofts.

Got a second go at an uphill chip with the sixty degree last week when the first go came rolling back to my feet, gave the second one a bit more umph and it went close.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Easily the best part of my game

Generally I use my 3 x Vokey wedges (50•/54•/58•)

For standard chip shots I use the (delofted) 50 or 54 depending on how I want it to roll or grab and I'm disappointed if I don't get up & down

I generay only use the 58• for soft shots, eg to tight pins or lobs etc (higher risk shots)

Back in the day I when I used to play with blades I'd also love to chip with anything 6-9i. Now that I use GI irons there just isn't the same feel (faces are too springy, too 'hot' so I'd only use them in extreme circumstances (eg bumping one in/acoss a huge links green)

In contrast my son plays most everything with his L/W and he has better skills than me, this seems the modern way

More than one way way to skin the proverbial cat

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use anything from a 58 degree wedge to a 5 iron and a hybrid to chip depending on the circumstance and practice with all of these. I personally wouldn't want to be tied to one single club (or a couple) as I think it limits options dependant on lies, distance to the flag etc

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ive recently learnt how to play good chip and run shots. I pretty much always threw shots up to the hole before. Now I do play them running a lot more.

Will use anything apart from driver 3 & 5 wood. Hybrid dunt used now and again.

Owe you for posting the Runyan thread, my chipping been best part of my game since, expect to get up and down almost every time now around the green.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Owe you for posting the Runyan thread, my chipping been best part of my game since, expect to get up and down almost every time now around the green.

Glad that helped. It was such a weak link in my game for years. Such a simple solution. :thup:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Google 6-8-10 chipping method- next year I am trying to implement this... this year I was sure I could do better with the one club (54 degree) but after a lot of practice sessions and testing on our practice ground I have came to the conclusion that using lowest loft possible and getting running soonest is over an average the most consistent way of getting it closer (less duffs, thins etc)

For sure when I hit the 54 good I get it checking and stopping close but over 18 balls there was too much inconsistency

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Two clubs. 50 or 58. 50 for those shots not requiring going over stuff, 58 for elevated shots. I don' have enough time to practice every shot with half a dozen clubs so keep it simple.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all

Short game needs practice and joined a club with nice practice area

When I was a kid I remember having one club(8 iron) no idea of loft. But I could play a lot of different shots well from around the green. Mainly because of practise in the garden

I am thinking of focusing my practise on one club again

My question is does anybody else use mainly one club and if so what is it?

Thanks
Depends. If I have a collar to come over I play my gap wedge way back and bump it in. If it's pretty smooth/very close to the green, I'll 'putt' an 8 iron.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Ill pretty much use any club in the bag from lob wedge to rescue club to chip or pitch. Club selection is decided depending on the lie and the ground and greens conditions, if its a wet green with a lot of grass on it I wouldn't use a pw or 56 to play a chip and run I'd go down to the rescue club as the ball comes off with very little spin and skips through the wet grass whereas if you used an iron sometimes it just digs in so it's harder to consistently judge roll out. That's just one example but I'd say to have an honestly good shortgame to play the game at a high level you need a variety of shots with the ability to use different techniques for whatever the situation calls for. I play off scratch and I'd consider my shortgame to be under average for my category of player, it's an area I need to and have started to practice more, I try to get outside my comfort zone and practice shots I'm not good at with clubs I wouldn't normally use in a specific situation. The key to a good short game is versatility, if you're a one trick pony there are certain situations that will find you out, don't get me wrong you can get by and it obviously depends on what keeps you happy but the best players amateur and professional can play alot of different shots from around the greens.