Child Golf Lessons Query

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My son's golf lessons start again this week.

Currently you cannot be indoors with others and only have 6 in your garden.

There are 8 of them in his group, they have a driving rang with 4 bays and the coach which is in doors except for down the range, it is not a fully outdoors range either.

Lesson last for 2 hours and there will be 9 of them crammed in that space plus any adults of the younger kids, Group ranges from 8 to 14.

Just can't get my head round the fact this is ok to go on in currrent Tier 2 areas.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Children can do organised sport so is ok but as DFT says, just because you can doesn’t mean you must. If you don’t feel it is right and are concerned, don’t do it.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Are they more crammed than they would be at school?
Sorry, I don't have kids so I don't really know what schools have to do at the minute, but I would expect a golf teaching group to be no more risk than school.
The worrying part, for me, is the mention of parents being in there too.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Are they more crammed than they would be at school?
Sorry, I don't have kids so I don't really know what schools have to do at the minute, but I would expect a golf teaching group to be no more risk than school.
The worrying part, for me, is the mention of parents being in there too.

The thing is in school while a big bubble it's the same bubble and same year group. The lesson will be another 7 kids and maybe 7 parents from 7 different year groups and 7 different schools.

I suppose I am just confused that yesterday I had to sit in my garden with my wife and 2 boys with my mother and father in law at a max of 6 for my sons birthday yet tomorrow I can sit indoors with 7 other kids and their parents for 2 hours (not that I will be staying drop and collect only but he is the oldest at 14 the others are a lot younger and it is understandable they may wish to stay for some of it.

In the summer months no issue as all played outside but it's dark for the winter.

It is easy to say don't go, difficult when the son is super keen and says it's allowed. Far too wolly imo.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not seen an update from EG but we were only allowed 1 coach per 5 kids prior to the lockdown and that is the ratio we are reintroducing this month.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of people take a look at the rules and think what is the maximum you are allowed in terms of events, travel, meeting up etc?

But as others have said, if you are uncomfortable then don't do it. Obviously you'd be very unfortunate to die or be hospitalised assuming you are a working age person, but is it really worth the risk?

Especially given we are only a few weeks away from the most vulnerable being vaccinated and then probably a fairly quick move through the various tiers.

sunshine

Visit site
The thing is in school while a big bubble it's the same bubble and same year group. The lesson will be another 7 kids and maybe 7 parents from 7 different year groups and 7 different schools.

I suppose I am just confused that yesterday I had to sit in my garden with my wife and 2 boys with my mother and father in law at a max of 6 for my sons birthday yet tomorrow I can sit indoors with 7 other kids and their parents for 2 hours (not that I will be staying drop and collect only but he is the oldest at 14 the others are a lot younger and it is understandable they may wish to stay for some of it.

In the summer months no issue as all played outside but it's dark for the winter.

It is easy to say don't go, difficult when the son is super keen and says it's allowed. Far too wolly imo.

I'm surprised parents are allowed in. Most activities my children do, the parents have to stay outside, or can only quickly pop in to drop kids off wearing masks.

Ultimately, you're an adult, you are capable of using your own judgement.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm surprised parents are allowed in. Most activities my children do, the parents have to stay outside, or can only quickly pop in to drop kids off wearing masks.

Ultimately, you're an adult, you are capable of using your own judgement.
How does golf deal with child welfare where parents aren't allowed in?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
The same way as all other children's clubs.

Most golf clubs have a safeguarding policy

The club my son goes to has around 120 kids there. They range in age from 5 to 15. Most are in the 5-10 age group. Most parents stay for the lessons, some grab a coffee and others just watch. Right through the summer lessons were outside but since the clocks changed the evening ones are in doors and before lock down most had 3 or 4 parents staying on, maybe this will be different in tier 2 and be enforced.

But if anyone is saying that any sport kids do parents don't stay are wrong, from football, to judo to golf lots of parents stay not all but plenty do.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
After a chat with my son we have decided to give the lessons on the 8th and 22nd a miss and re-evaluate after Xmas.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
After a chat with my son we have decided to give the lessons on the 8th and 22nd a miss and re-evaluate after Xmas.
Me finks that is for the best, personally I would find a nice par three and have a couple of knocks with him.