New to golf

steve7

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi to all,(never hit a golf ball before)
Started taking lessons mid October 2007,had 8 lessons(1/2 hr each)so far,been to ranges approx 16 times practicing,I know this is a difficult question but here goes.How long before you actually feel that you are hitting a ball correctly,I usually go for between 50 + 100 balls on the range of these I feel maybe 30% I connect with properly.Am I expecting to much too soon to be able to connect a bigger percentage ? Or am I going to the range to often in between lessons ? All replies fully appreciated.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think you can ever go to the range often enough between lessons. You're going about it the right way. And 1 decent hit in every 3 isn't at all bad. It's not easy, you know.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I took me a couple of years oon and off to hit a basket of balls without duffing or hit shots all over the place.
if you think your hittin 30% well then your doing pretty good. Mind you i never had lessons till after two years of hitting balls.

When you have a lesson you should take the key adjustments to your swing and practice them for balls and balls. Depending on how big the changes you make depends on how long it will take to get right.
eg. If your changing your grip it can take a couple of days. whereas if your changing a swing plane or shoulder turn it can take weeks to get right. All depends on the individual

As your new to the game you'll probably learn stuff quicker than us guys who have played for a bit longer as your not set in your ways.

in general practice as much as you can but make sure you concentrate on what needs improving. some times you can get carried away just hitting ball after ball. Do take rests, its up to you how much you practice, but the more you do the better you will get quick.
Heres a tip, Practice your shortgame as much as you can because its more important in the long run. as this is where you will score better.
Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

ps.

where abouts you from and where do you play?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It depends on your definition of 'connecting with the ball properly' Steve. I asume that you mean that you hit the ball a reasonable distance in the right direction, and that to my mind, is all you need to do to play a decent game of golf. Howerver, 30% won't get you very far. What you need to do is analyse the bad shots. Are most of your bad shots topped, shanked, hit off the toe or hit fat? If you have a consistency in your bad shots, then there is an easy path to correction. If you have a variety of the aforementioned faults, then the problem is more difficult. There is one sure route to correcting faults to my mind, and that is to consult your local PGA professional, especially if you are just starting. Faults that you embed at this stage are exeedingly difficult to eradicate later on.

Always remember Steve, that every golfer you are likely to meet, good or bad, started from where you are now, so take heart, and keep with it, because it is the most rewarding outdoor activity you will ever encounter.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Just don't get frustrated, one day I will be crashing drives to oblivion and then the next spraying them everywhere. (sh)it happens from time to time but its things like this that make the game exciting, predictability doesn't stir me up.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and in time myself and andy will try and convert you to merchandise from our venemous friends!!!

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He's not joking about converting! I am currently on hunt for an F Speed to tide me over until I can decide between L4V & Hyper X next year.

The FT-i has been shifted!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
steve, to answer one question obliquely, there is no such thing as too soon or too late. One of the hardest things to appreciate is that golf does not allow you the luxury of being able to say that ' I have been playing x weeks, therefore I should be doing y'. It doesn't work like that.
There will always be the really irritating bu**er who can, or will claim to, hit like an angel from day one while the rest of us mere mortals work at it. Wherever you're at, you're not alone.
You've started off the right way, taking lessons - just practice what you've been taught, as often as you feel comfortable.
Second, there's no 'obviously I haven't been on a course yet'. What's stopping you? Find a Par 3 course, or play nine holes - practice what you've been taught, you'll make mistakes, you'll think you'll make a fool of yourself - so what, we all have - but you'll learn more on course than anywhere else. You'll lose balls - but that's what lake balls are for!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You should get out on a course, it is where the fun begins. Don't worry about being slow, or embarassing yourself, if someone faster / better comes up behind, then just let them play through.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It took me a year to pluck up courage to do a full 18 holes as hated people watching me and was mega conscious of holding people up. A pitch and putt is ideal to start off with where a lot of people will be new to golf so you won't feel self conscious.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, I spent many weeks on the Par 3 course at Rutland Water before venturing onto the full course. That said, that par 3 course is a good challenge even now with some nice varied holes and lengths up to 200 yards. From that I graduated to a nearby municipal.