Simulators suck

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Some friends have invited me for a Christmas knock in a simulator. I want to go (FOMO) but I've been twice before and, both times, I've really struggled.

I'm a 16 index so I'm not brilliant but I can usually propel the ball in vaguely the right direction, for an acceptable distance. Neither of those things were happening on the sim. When I did connect it was travelling about half the distance that it would in real life, and never where I was aiming. Has anyone else experienced a vast difference between simulator golf and real golf, or is it just me?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

What balls were you using and were the distances normalised for a premium ball?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Some friends have invited me for a Christmas knock in a simulator. I want to go (FOMO) but I've been twice before and, both times, I've really struggled.

I'm a 16 index so I'm not brilliant but I can usually propel the ball in vaguely the right direction, for an acceptable distance. Neither of those things were happening on the sim. When I did connect it was travelling about half the distance that it would in real life, and never where I was aiming. Has anyone else experienced a vast different between simulator golf and real golf, or is it just me?!

Does this sim venue also have an alcohol license ;)

Sorry I cant help, I've only used one for 10 mins with a wedge and it went further than real life

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
What balls were you using and were the distances normalised for a premium ball?

They were TaylorMade balls and clubs, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your second question. My friends were not struggling and they were using the same equipment.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've certainly had very mixed experiences on them. Some give me hooks or slices when I know the connection was good, good distances when I know the connection was bad. Others have been more accurate to what I do out on the course. They are very much pinch of salt jobs.

As long as the room is warm and you treat it as fun, all is good.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting that this thread has come up as I nearly posted something similar. My mate’s got a sim at his house, proper set up, high ceilings, plenty of space etc. I went for the first time last week, and like you, really struggled. Massive hooks with driver, massive slices with irons, neither of which are my normal game (not every shot anyway). He said it takes a while to get used to as there’s a fear of catching the club on something (roof/wall etc), which completely changes your swing. I felt like I was trying to guide the ball and each swing wasn’t fully finished.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting that this thread has come up as I nearly posted something similar. My mate’s got a sim at his house, proper set up, high ceilings, plenty of space etc. I went for the first time last week, and like you, really struggled. Massive hooks with driver, massive slices with irons, neither of which are my normal game (not every shot anyway). He said it takes a while to get used to as there’s a fear of catching the club on something (roof/wall etc), which completely changes your swing. I felt like I was trying to guide the ball and each swing wasn’t fully finished.
The first bay at our range is by the ball machine so reduces the space at the back of the bay. Still more than enough room to swing a club, including driver, but trying telling your arms that when you start your backswing 🤣

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
There multiple things that could be but if you’re mates were ok then the effect is on you.

Could be:
- sim settings. Altitude, humidity, roll etc.
- atmospherics in the room
- sim swing syndrome where you get tentative on shots in an exposed area environment.
- you just don’t hit it as far as you think. This for most new users.

Swango1980

Visit site

I'm a 16 index so I'm not brilliant but I can usually propel the ball in vaguely the right direction, for an acceptable distance. Neither of those things were happening on the sim. When I did connect it was travelling about half the distance that it would in real life, and never where I was aiming. Has anyone else experienced a vast difference between simulator golf and real golf, or is it just me?!
It is because you had to use the Taylormade clubs and balls they supply you with.

However, if you got to use your Orka golf clubs and Pinnacle balls, you'd have been a monster

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think they're a mixed bag. Probably depends on what technology is being used. Not indoor, but when I've used some of the outdoor TopTracer ones the yardages can be wildly low. I think even on the indoor ones, they have settings so that when you're hitting out of the rough, it takes some yardage off the final shot, and maybe the setting on that is a bit severe. Also you often need to line up where you're aiming by pressing buttons on the screen before you strike it, or you might be hitting in the wrong direction.

D

Deleted member 1147

They were TaylorMade balls and clubs, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your second question. My friends were not struggling and they were using the same equipment.
If you use range balls the distances need normalising to make them seem more realistic. As a range ball doesn’t go as far as a normal ball you’d use on the course.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you use range balls the distances need normalising to make them seem more realistic. As a range ball doesn’t go as far as a normal ball you’d use on the course.
I get the feeling the OP is talking about "golf bar" type sims rather than range launch monitors. None of the sims (golf lounge etc) I have been to use range balls and/or need normalising.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I get the feeling the OP is talking about "golf bar" type sims rather than range launch monitors. None of the sims (golf lounge etc) I have been to use range balls and/or need normalising.
Yes, that is what I'm describing. Apologies if that wasn't clear. AFAIK they were regular golf balls.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, that is what I'm describing. Apologies if that wasn't clear. AFAIK they were regular golf balls.
Sorry
We use the sim at the club, so can use indoor with proper balls or outdoor using range balls