Lessons using launch monitors - the future!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I recently had a lesson with my old pro at the local pay and play course (Lakeside Lodge, Pidley) who has recently decided to invest in some new kit including a flight scope and indoor studio. I've kept in contact with him over the years since changing courses and moving to Brampton Park GC and been to a couple of golf seminars he's organised, spoke to him on social media, etc.

First of all we discussed how things have changed since we last had a lesson, I'd sent him a couple of slow motion swing videos and he was really impressed. I told him about the changes I've made and where I think my problem areas are. My problem areas are losing it off the tee with a slice and general consistency. He then talked to me about flight scope and the stats that we are going to see, etc.

We went through 8 iron, 6 iron, 4 iron and driver, just to get an idea of what was going on and to see what changes, if any, would need to be made.

8 iron was first, I was a bit nervy about hitting indoors but soon got to grips with it. I flushed a few down the middle, others with a slight fade and a few with a pull. Probably due to where the radar target line was against where I was hitting. He began testing me on my distance and asking what I would normally hit an 8 iron and I said between 130-140 and i was bang on.

He took me through some of the numbers in a simple fashion and told me where he thinks we should be in regard to face angle, path, smash factor, etc. 8 iron was pretty good so moved onto 6 iron and 4 iron.

We started to notice a common issue when looking at 6 & 4, I was coming slightly over the top which was causing my natural fade and in some cases a slice. He didn't want to make any drastic changes to my swing but started showing me as I come down I need to keep my elbow down a tiny bit to start the club coming on the inside.

What I found really helpful was seeing the numbers change as I made the change, the first couple of times you could see there was only a slight difference but more and more you could see the numbers being where they needed to be, albeit the club face was left open as I came through, but these were all things picked up by the flightscope. It was making me think about what I was doing so that I could hit the right numbers.

We spent a bit of time working on that and went onto the driver, of which I had the same issue however we made a slight change in the back swing to flatten it slightly, and moved my right foot back a touch to help get the inside path.

Straight after the lesson he emailed me all of the data showing swing speeds, angles, paths, etc and i really felt it was worth the £40 for 60 minutes.

My previous lessons with my old pro were good, but I felt being able to see the numbers and work to make them better a far better experience! £35 for 30 minutes just seemed like an expensive driving range session.

I would highly recommend having a lesson using trackman or flightscope as it gives you a great insight into every aspect of your swing! Can't wait to work on the range and go back to check the numbers!

Numbers and graphics: http://s211.photobucket.com/user/philly169/library/Blog Images

Last edited:

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
IMO the numbers mean nothing unless you can see the ball fly , you don't need a flightscope to see if you are coming over the top or how far you are hitting it. I agree that the Tec is useful for fitting clubs but a good pro shouldn't need all that Tec to give you a swing lesson. Similarly I would never buy a club or clubs unless I can see the ball flight and shape - I don't understand anyone who buys clubs on the result of a few hits in a net on a monitor. For me its all about what I can see the ball doing not about numbers.

G

guest100718

We have a CG2 at our place, I think its a great piece of kit. Some of us love the numbers. I aslo own a Swingbyte 2, which also produces some interesting data.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Poults said as much in a recent interview.

Personally I see the value of having the data, but how easy is it to replicate those figures without the tech (I.E on the course)? How do you know youre doing as your previos data suggests?

I prefer to be taught in the manor I am. On a range, judging each shot on its own merit (Height, shape, distance) and making adjustments from there.

Having all the data is fine and good if:

a) You know what to do with it.

and

b) You can keep it out of your head and not over analyze when you play.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Soory OP but indoor is not the future imo for an outdoor game- certainly I like the stats and figures but I also need affirmation of the ball flight.

I had one session indoors for a fitting (I didnt know it was indoors until we walked outside to his indoor studio:eek:) couldnt hit anything properly so never again for me.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not the future, its the now. That said, it will be the never for some people who either don`t understand, don't want to understand or really don't need to understand.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is a great way to have a lesson. When you are stood on the practice ground you can see what the ball does, but you do not know what is happening regarding the clubface and swingpath. Flightscope will give you so much info and in the correct hands can show what is causing a weekness in your game. To be honest the perfect way to have a lesson is on a range with a flightscope. that way you get to see it fly, but you also get to see what is happening in your swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Its not the future, its the now.

I agree.

It's a TOOL to measure stuff and should compliment instruction, not replace it.

Some of your figures look wrong on your pics... I'm not entirely sure Flightscope is trustworthy at all times.... but it's probably better than nothing in most cases.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is a great way to have a lesson. When you are stood on the practice ground you can see what the ball does, but you do not know what is happening regarding the clubface and swingpath. Flightscope will give you so much info and in the correct hands can show what is causing a weekness in your game. To be honest the perfect way to have a lesson is on a range with a flightscope. that way you get to see it fly, but you also get to see what is happening in your swing.

Your spot on, you can't take away being able to see the full ball flight I agree, but if you have stats telling you how much you were coming over the ball you can work to correct it and on each shot you'll know if your swing is adapting to those changes or not.

When I'm on the course I won't be thinking about data and swing speeds etc, hopefully I will have engrained everything I've changed during my practice.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I love seeing the numbers BUT only in conjunction with video and seeing the ball flight. That combination of tools gives me some guide when I'm hitting on the course/range (without the numbers) to understand what I've done to make the ball do what it does! Just the numbers is very interesting but imo it needs more than that to understand changes, how they feel, how they look and their impact on ball flight.

Incidentally - Al has invested in a new gadget which provides more data than the GASP video system he was using. David has lessons with him and feels it's a great addition to his teaching (not sure what it is but clips to the shaft I think)...oh, and he's only £25 for 30 minutes which is pretty good value.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hit out onto a range when I have a lesson so get to see the full ball flight as well as being able to compare distances and numbers off the monitor. Very important to me as I like to learn in quite a visual way so seeing how the changes we make stack up helps me get a real understanding for what I am trying to achieve. I think it is a very important aspect of any lesson

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Their handy for keeping a swing going when courses are closed and so on but sometimes launch monitors are not as accurate as you would believe,

Just one will confirm this.